RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

How i can improve this logo?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 AM

How i can improve this logo?

Hi, I'm new here, and to Photoshop (been given access to it through work)

I have an image i've been working on for a department logo and wondering if this was the right place to gain honest feedback on how i could improve aspects of it. I have attached a jpg copy though unsure of sizing.

I developed the glass marbles from a tutorial i found, but i am concerned about the words and glassy feel to the marbles.

Any advice would be great.

Please redirect thread if necessary as total newbie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logo-v2.jpg (90.0 KB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 AM

Re: General Feedback of how i can improve

Hey Samuel. The marbles look pretty cute, so that may be a concern - you may want to go with less vivid colors to get rid of the "cute factor"... but I would suggest reworking the whole logo if this is going to be printed on letterhead, and business cards or anything along those lines.

If not, just adjust your colors, and the font on the "Business & Market Information" section - you can barely read that, and it's the key element. Just minimal detail remarks - the shadow extends past the key on "Market" and the information marble isn't out of focus enough. Also, the "insight" should be more out of focus - I realize this sounds counter-intuitive to the meaning of the sign, but sometimes if you have to struggle to read a element or two it means your interest is locked into the logo longer, which in turn could make it more memorable.

Just don't try that trick with key elements
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Samuel, I've been in the "logo" business for over 30 years, so take what I say for what that is worth.

Your design is much too busy for a logo. It might work as a graphic in a printed piece where people will hold it in their hand and "study" it. But as an identifier, there's just too much to absorb.

You must also consider how and what this design will be printed on. Can it be printed on plaques (as employee awards), signs, letter head (oh the cost of going 4 color)? Etc.

All "logo" work should be produced in a vector drawing program using spot colors. Gradients and more than 4 colors (spot) should be avoided. All that other stuff may look wonderful on a web site, but be impossible to print for other media.

Last edited by Swampy; 01-04-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Stephen, I've been in the "logo" business for over 30 years, so take what I say for what that is worth.
Eh? 'Tis not my logo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Oops, Sorry, Stephen... I was looking at your name when I started to type. I edited the post. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelSlade007 View Post
Hi, I'm new here, and to Photoshop (been given access to it through work)

I have an image i've been working on for a department logo and wondering if this was the right place to gain honest feedback on how i could improve aspects of it. I have attached a jpg copy though unsure of sizing.

I developed the glass marbles from a tutorial i found, but i am concerned about the words and glassy feel to the marbles.

Any advice would be great.

Please redirect thread if necessary as total newbie.
Hi Samuel,

We read from left to right, so the logo is a little hard for the brain to compute, put the larger (right) side of the logo to the left. The text is incredibly hard to distinguish from the b/ground. Personally I think that the marbles detract from the logo rather than enhance it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 AM

Re: How i can improve this logo?

The concept is healthy and kicking. However, it is way too complicated for a logo and would be very hard to print as designed. The simple axiom, KISS, needs some exercise here.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Samuel... You may want to look at THIS thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM

swampy is right in what she says. Go to your library and grab some books on logo design. some good books to check out is Logo Design by Julius Wiedemann, and Design Matters: Logos 01: An Essential Primer for Today's Competitive Market. the second book teaches you the basics of a good logo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM

Samuel,

These may not be the best logos ever designed, but they'll do 'til the real thing comes along. Granted, not every designer (the great Saul Bass on the left, the legendary Raymond Loewy on the right) has the luxury of a corporate name as easily represented as these. But I think these are examples of what every logo designer should aim for. Another thing worth pointing out is that the Bell logo was designed in about 1969, Shell in 1971 or so. And they still work.

Matthew's and Swampy's suggestions are good ones. You might also Google "great logos" or something like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bell-logo.jpg (41.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg shell-logo.jpg (52.3 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art