RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Old Baldy

Old 01-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Re: Old Baldy

Gerry, "OlBaldy", and Joeven, you have each taken the photo, added your own interpretations, and made it something special. Thanks for sharing!!!

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post

played with this in dynamic photo, and added a bit of a orton technique

Palms

What may I ask is dynamic photo and orton technique. I really like the effect and the detail enhancement.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
What may I ask is dynamic photo and orton technique. I really like the effect and the detail enhancement.

Janet
Janet
Dynamic photo is hdri software from here (there is a trial version well worth the download for a play around )

http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html

and here is a tutorial for the orton technique (the technique is about half way down under the title of digital technique)

http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../dw0106-1.html

It was brought to my attention in the post here
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...se-eyes-2.html
by Stephen A and the next post by cmcrjr and i must admit i have been a bit hooked on it. Sorry but a bit of reading but lots of fun trying things out, let me know what you think please

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Patron

Purl two cross hatch (yes, I'm still stitching).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shot%20of%20a%20lifetime.jpg (199.4 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 AM

another great picture!

had a go at this in psp xi first. did quite a bit of prep work there and then took it to filter forge and used scarykitty's 'color illustration' filter, then back to psp xi for one more addition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eagle-catch-ff-scar-kit-col-ill-1-k-1d-1-rp.jpg (179.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 AM

Craig, I really like yours. Very clean and simple, and I mean that in a good way. Like a watercolor wash over ink maybe.

I did mine with pst. My mom thought she saw an eagle near our house the other day, so I thought this was fitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eagle-pst-WEB.jpg (99.3 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 PM

thanks, jordan

palms, very cool the only thing i'd suggest is maybe a slightly tighter crop.

and joe, i love yours but you've hidden the eagle a bit too much with the really nice background. a bit more contrast between eagle and background would be good.

olbadly, very nice i like high contrasting relief like this and i really like your 'kilroy' logo not real crazy about the matting or the frame. with the background being so bright, a darker matte might work better... not sure.

and gerry, i like yours too, but the choice of frames seems to subdue the image too much. something more subtle might work better.

and lyle, love the stitching except for the missing parts, the holes, here and there, especially in the bird itself.

and jordan, yours is hardest of all to critique because it's going to sound like i hate it, but i dont. i'm afraid i've seen too many dirty paintings in my time. and by dirty here, i do mean dirt, not bad, or sexually filthy, but actual dirt, and yours reminds me of this. had your choice of the dark texture stroke/brush been something else, i'd probably love it completely. as is, i do like parts of it. for instance, i love the branch he's sitting on. masterful! but the 'dirty blue' sky background...umm, not so much. so, it's really only that blue and dark color background that i dont care for and that's just a personal preference here. so, when you curse me out and throw me the bird (pun intended), why, bear that in mind

not sure why i'm in such a critical, professorial mood tonight, but, oh well. feel free to stomp all over mine
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM

LOL! No cursing Craig. I enjoy hearing what people like and dislike in art. Both my own and others. It helps me look at them with a fresh eye and a different perspective. It also helps me define better what I like and dislike. And I find I agree with you about the background on mine. Thanks for the critique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 PM

and joe, i love yours but you've hidden the eagle a bit too much with the really nice background. a bit more contrast between eagle and background would be good.

What about this? The background in the other pic was from my camp. I was just experimenting.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shot-of-a-lifetime-flipped2.jpg (97.5 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 PM

jordan, you're welcome and glad the cursing was at a minimum

joe, never meant for you to completely change the background. i really did like it. i just wanted the eagle to stand out a bit more. but, i do like the new one here, too. the trouble i have with the branches as framing is that the branches and the eagle body are pretty much the same color. therefore, the eagle again isnt really standing out any from the branches. so, a slight lightening of the eagle or darkening of the branches seems in order here. or, possibly even removing some of the branches, like the upper one.

but really, i did like your first one!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art