Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative Interpretations- Easter Bunny

Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Patron

Re: Creative Interpretations- Easter Bunny

Fake smudge using GREYCstoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easter-rabbit.jpg (142.4 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikajomc View Post
Love everyone's Easter works of art!

I gave in and smudged up the Easter bunny. I am frustrated because I have worked on this thing all night and it doesn't hardly look any different to me. So Sensei Palms (or anyone else) what did I do wrong? Was my strength too low? (I used the rough bristle brush at 15px and 38%, following Scott Deardoff's tute.) Critiques welcome.

Now I remember why I love the AHB, it is soooo much faster!!!
And the problem is ? Scotts technique is referred to as photo realistic, and it does take a long time to do, I think he takes about 10 hours to do one image (That's why i would of changed the background cuts out some of the smudging ) also with Scott's way you dont really see the the difference till you have applied the paint daubs at the end, etc
You have done a lovely smudge and you should be proud of it, Now try a different sort of smudge and see if you get on with that and like doing that better

Failing that ask lkroll how long his took ( nice one there lkroll )

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Patron

It took around 5 minutes (some figuring out; some cleaning) to create the White Softfocus version (see the above attached that I recently posted) and it took an additional 3 to 5 minutes to run it through GREYCstoration for the fake smudge. No where near Scott's quality (but I didn't spend hours on it either; lol).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
And the problem is ? Scotts technique is referred to as photo realistic, and it does take a long time to do, I think he takes about 10 hours to do one image (That's why i would of changed the background cuts out some of the smudging ) also with Scott's way you dont really see the the difference till you have applied the paint daubs at the end, etc
You have done a lovely smudge and you should be proud of it, Now try a different sort of smudge and see if you get on with that and like doing that better

Failing that ask lkroll how long his took ( nice one there lkroll )

Palms
LOL! I definitely do not have the patience to work on a photo for 10 hours!! (maybe if it was one of my kids....maybe)
Your comment about the background is funny, because I used a big brush and didn't really worry about it too much. I was following Scott's pdf, but my photo was hi-res, so the settings might not have been big enough/strong enough for the bunny.

So Lyle- is that Grey fake smudge thing a Gimp filter?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Patron

I believe both a stand-a-lone and a GIMP filter are available. Check out the main website:

http://cimg.sourceforge.net/greycstoration/
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikajomc View Post
LOL! I definitely do not have the patience to work on a photo for 10 hours!! (maybe if it was one of my kids....maybe)
That is it exactly, i save the real hard work for special photo's or when i am in that sort of mood (still not 10 hours worth though) The size and resolution do play a part in it though So much conflicting advice on that though that is why i stay at 200 resolution
Plus on the Gorilla smudge if you have seen it i added aniso like in scotts pdf and i found that made the smudging a bit harder

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
I believe both a stand-a-lone and a GIMP filter are available. Check out the main website:

http://cimg.sourceforge.net/greycstoration/
Sorry lkroll but are you having a laugh I went to the web page and suddenly my brain went into switch of mode, all that technical talk any chance (if you havent already ) you could do a write up for me (as in dummies) say in the software forum

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
all that technical talk any chance (if you havent already ) you could do a write up for me (as in dummies) say in the software forum

Palms
I consider myself fairly technically savvy, but....yeah ditto what Palms said, please!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Patron

I would just ignor the techno-babble and (if you have GIMP anyway), download the plugin and play with the sliders. Thats what I usually do anyway. lol

I use to be a techy (in some respects still am), but sometimes things are explained way too technical for even me. I try to be a user and not try to understand (case in point; Impressionist filter. lol).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art