RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Converting Bitmap to Vector 2 Tone Art?

Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 AM

Re: Converting Bitmap to Vector 2 Tone Art?

Hi Nat,
I took your image into photoshop and increased the contrast with curves one channel at a time. In curves select the show clipping box and then use the dropdown to pick each channel in turn. Draw the sliders in on each side until you start to see the cliping color, when your done click ok.
Open curves again and from the top dropdown menue click strong contrast. click ok.
Now drag the layer to the new layer icon and then switch the blend mode to color blend, do that three times so you have three layers set to color blend mode. Hold down the alt key and click on add mask icon, paint with a white brush over your lower lip and the line of your nose. (Looks bad I know) After you finish your mask alt click and drag the mask to each of the 3 new layers.
Now save the PSD and open it in IL and do the live trace, it should see your nose and lip now. If you work with the preview button checked in IL it will update every time you move a slider inside the tracing options.
The path fitting slider is what will give you a more or a less "vectorish" look.

Hope that helps.

Photoshop If you wanted to I'm sure burn would work for the nose and lips. If you wanted to bring out the highlights in your hair you might dodge some of the lighter areas while you in photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -1.jpg (98.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg d-1.jpg (89.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by crazyfly1; 06-05-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM

I thought something about this thread was familiar and did a search for old threads.

Here is the original thread along these lines:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...uration-2.html

Here is another thread with some great two-toned black and white. You could use some of the methods and then put the gradient map over the top for your color.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...pamela-bw.html

As far as converting to a vector, I'll see if I can explain it. But first, the two-tone stuff is easy. Once one has the basic shape, one can either put a gradient map over the shape or another layer in a solid color set to color blend mode.

As I explained above, the first step is to take your picture and simplify it. 1. Create a black and white copy of the original. Blur it slightly so rough edges are minimized for the threshold layers.
2. Create three copies of the black and white layer.
3. On the top layer, create a threshold layer with the slider set somewhere near the middle. Merge down the adjustment layer. Turn off layer.
4. On the next layer down, create a threshold layer with the slider set off to one side or another of the middle. Repeat bold above.
5. On the next layer down, create a threshold layer with the slider set opposite of the last step. Example, if you went left with the slider on the step above, then this time you will go right. Repeat bold above.
6. Go back to the top layer, change opacity to around 40%. Repeat on the other threshold layers.
At this point, you should have a tri-toned (simplified) version of your original.
7. Create a new layer on top and merge visible into it.
8. Above the merge visible, there are two possibilities. You can either use a gradient map or you can fill a new blank layer with a solid color and change the blend mode to color or overlay.

As far as creating a vector out of the threshold layer, here are the steps I use. Keep in mind, you can go to the help menu in Photoshop and get the steps there.

1. With the merged threshold layer active, I go to Select>Color Range. I click on the "color" I want emphasized and crank up the slider so I have a broad selection. When I click ok, then the marching ants appear.
2. Go to the paths palette with the selection. Click on the icon that looks like a miniature coiled rope. Voila' instant vectors and in my opinion way easier than trying to work with two programs and transfer between them. You might have to go the the direct selection tool and clean up a few stray paths. Once you get the Bezier curves (vector path) the way you want it...
3. Go to the Edit menu. Click define custom shape.
4. Once you have your shape, you can put it into new documents, bend it, color it, etc.

There is also another section in Photoshop's help that tells how to combine paths into one. This is just FYI. It most likely wouldn't be much help with this.

Posterize and cutout can also work. I have found this method to be more useful for what I do. The other methods posted here also work. That is one of the best things about Photoshop. There are so very many ways to accomplish the same thing.

I hope this helps.

Janet

BTW, Natalie, you make some very nice music.

Last edited by Janet Petty; 06-05-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: found another link
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM

The photo is kind of small to work with but... In Photoshop I used threshold, then selected all the white and painted with one color, reversed the selection and painted with 2nd color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nat-backprint-1 copy.jpg (32.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Hi all! I'll have a go at it again tonight to see if I can tweak and get what I'm after. I'm trying to finish off the album and do this artwork at the same time, so please excuse me if I don't get back right away... it's insaneness here right now!

Janet, thanks for the compliment on my music. I'll be offering my friends here some free songs when the project is all done. If anyone is interested in a digital copy of the album, PM me and I'll make a note of your email addresses.

Thanks!

Nat
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 PM

Maybe this is close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (35.8 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Patron

Used Potrace to create the vector (two different passes with different parameters) and merged the two in Inkscape. True vector.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nat-backprint-1.pdf (62.7 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Smile Re: Converting Bitmap to Vector 2 Tone Art?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Maybe this is close.
Smak, that is pretty, but it still looks too much like a photograph for what I'm after. I definitely want it to look like the picture I posted in the first post. I think this is truly only achievable in Illustrator from what I'm reading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Used Potrace to create the vector (two different passes with different parameters) and merged the two in Inkscape. True vector.
That is really cool. Would one be able to add 2 tones of other color to it? I am still concerned about the nose. i have a feeling I will have to do what was mentioned above by tweaking it in PS first to get more node detail.

I will have to research Potrace and Inkscape.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Patron

Yes. I didn't really have to do the Potrace step either since Potrace integrates into Inkscape for bitmap tracing. Both are free by the way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Patron

Redid this one only using Inkscape (4 levels in the tracing interface).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nat-backprint-1.pdf (42.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art