RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Lady of Guadalupe

Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 PM

Re: Lady of Guadalupe

I am very happy with my system as it is, only I can't run some recent apps because some of the code is not compatible anymore with the 9x systems which is a little bit of a frustration. I had hoped you would tell me that in fact this plugin also run on Gimp 2.2 but I guess I haven't been lucky on that one.

I don't feel the need to upgrade to any other system but I stress that's because my Win ME system does not run on the kind of hardware that was current when Microsoft was selling it and also probably because it has been quite seriously tweaked and looked after by myself.

Photoshop 7 which I have just bought on eBay for a small fraction of its original price, runs blazingly fast and stable on it.

I probably could run Krita on it if only I managed to install the KDE desktop over Cygwin. I think it can be done but it's not for the faint hearted. I may try again sometimes if photoshop does not keep me too busy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Patron

PS7 will run nearly (if not all) PS compatible plugins including all my favorites (Impressionist, AAA Fotofix filter, Flaming Pear's Mr. Contrast just to name a few). If PS7 works, then you will be very happy. Only a few of the most current actions won't work with PS7 so you still can try them for sure. Though I like GIMP, GIMP isn't 100% perfect. No editor imo is. Any tool that you can get to work is just that; a tool. I try to collect as many as possible and use them when I see an advantage that the other editor has no equal. Also, PS7 definitely supports 16-bit editing/enhancements. You won't (as I recall) get shadow/highlights, but there is so many ways to get that look that this won't be an issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Yeah I am very happy with Photoshop 7. I was very frustrated with version 6 mostly because it would not handle more than 300 plugins or so...

I also have multiple apps. I think I have one or another version of all them apart from Microsoft's Photodraw, and this one I normally get it next week bundled with the Ofice 2000 Premium. I don't expect wonder from it, it's more by curiosity. This should also include the impresionist plugin which has it's origin in FrontPage's Image Composer I believe.

Last one I bought was Serif Photoplus 11 and it's more powerfull than I thought it would be but I don't think it does anything I cannot do with the other stuff I have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 AM

lyle, that's really quite amazing! that's all from that one script? and what does the '-fu' mean at the end of script-fu?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Patron

Don't ask me Craig. lol

Link to background of this subject here. You need to follow the thread in it's entirety to get the Script-fu (buried in the thread and also two different versions; one for 2.2x and one for to 2.4x).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Patron

Forgot to outline flow.

Simple. Just dup, fill the base layer with color of choice, and go to the Channels dialogue and run Channel to Selection on the Top layer and delete. This creates the transparency areas which is required by the Script-fu. Run the Script-fu on the Top layer and voila. This is one of my favorite Script-fus by the way and have used on more then one occasion already. Forgot to add that I did enhance the face a little with ACE (which is a GIMP plugin. lol).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 AM

Nice!
Thank you for the nice work and all the great info Lyle.
Those are awesome Gilbert, I especially like the color one. If you don't mind I'm going to show her that colored one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 07:12 AM

so glad you liked them Rohape, 1.3 mb version available if its required,can send by email if you pm me your address
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Ooops. Just realized I forgot to post my efforts.
I just realized I missed a tiny line at the top. If your mom likes it Rohape I'll fix it for you. But otherwise, I'm not going to mess with it.

Here's the retouch.

Here's the painting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2653110812_0b43e87220_m.jpg (23.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2653110670_3edd7c142e_m.jpg (21.6 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art