RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Lady of Guadalupe

Old 07-04-2008, 12:29 AM

Lady of Guadalupe

My mom sent this to me asking for some work. She does a lot of work for her church and lately I've been doing a lot of retouch/editing work for her.
This was such a cool picture I thought you all might like to take a crack at it. And honestly I hoped to enlist a little more help than my meager skills. You all do such amazing work I would love to show her some variations. I have already done some work to it based off what she was looking for. I'm still working on some different variations too.
Let me apologize ahead too. I will soon be away from my computer for only a few days. I just don't want ya'll to think I'm freeloading in any way when I don't reply very quickly.
Thank you for everything I have learned from all of you already, and the help with this picture!

Here's a link for the original on my flickr. And then my work...so far.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rohape/2635057289/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Our Lady of Guadalupe retouchPRO.jpg (83.9 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Re: Lady of Guadalupe

Hi Rohape
Could you give us an idea of what your mother is looking for?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 11:26 AM

This is the email she sent me.

Quote:
Attached is a photo taken of Our Lady of Guadalupe as represented in the candle shrine at our church. I want to use this to make some small prayer cards – but I might also want to use it for other things. The shape or sizing of it is fine. But I would like for you to see if you can remove most of the frame, maybe with a soft white oval frame that kind of fades the edges of the picture with a bit of a glow, enhance the pink silk in the picture a little, soften the harsh orange sun-rays around her, and lighten her skin a little. I would welcome several variations of this picture if you start having some inspiring ideas. I really like this picture. Photos of all of the events in the parish are taken in front of this shrine.
Thank you so much. I'll be editing this with some more variations I came up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Our Lady of Guadalupe2small.jpg (82.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Rohape; 07-04-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added picture
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 PM

And one more before I leave for a few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Our-Lady-of-Guadalupe-clouds.jpg (95.7 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Patron

Etched glass.

Used an Etched glass Script-fu for the majority of the effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2635057289_a17fc4f3d6_b.jpg (190.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2008, 08:35 AM

had a couple of attempts, one with and one without colour.....as you say the more variety the more choice, I hope you find what you are looking for.
gilbert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg our-lady100k-19%.jpg (80.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg our-lady-100k-25%.jpg (98.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2008, 05:34 PM

This etched glass script-fu is quite amazing. Pity I can't run it as I have only Gimp 2.2 and it appears to run only on 2.4 if I am not mistaken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Patron

I feel your pain if you're stuck on dial-up, but if not, 2.4 is better then 2.2. imo. I keep 2.2 installed (and even share PS plugins with it since I set up 2.4 to share the same ps plugins as 2.2) for compatibility with a handful of script-fus that I occasionally use. I also have 1.2.4 installed for a few plugins/Script-fus that have never been ported to the 2.x world. Yes, all three versions can run without issue (do a custom install and make sure the directory where 2.4 is installed is not the same as 2.2). If you have highspeed, give 2.4 a whirl. After 2.4.6, most of the bugs have been eliminated. I'm still waiting (heard a rumour that it will be release this summer) for the release of 2.6 since it will support 16-bit graphics. 2.4 by the way is 100% color aware which is cool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 PM

I can't run Gimp 2.4 because of the operating system I use which is Windows Millenium, hahaha. I have 1.2.4 and 2.2 portable but unlike you I can't seem to be able to run photoshop plugins in 2.2. Coming from the Linux platform, Krita seems also very interesting but I don't think compiled versions for Windows are available for download right now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Patron

Arrggh. I've had so many issues with WinME that it was a joy to migrate (even on my 766MHz Intel PIII) to XP way back then. You will be better off going to Ubuntu if it is capable to run it on your system. Also, they ported PSPI to Linux, so you will be able to run many PS plugins as well. Haven't ran the KDE version of Linux, but I'm sure the GIMP will work happy with it too. I've read about Krita and it seems cool (Sourceforge gleamer I am) but I will stick with the GIMP.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art