Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Pop Art effect

Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Re: Pop Art effect

and here's four more, the first two being from the same filter forge filter, while the rest are from different filters. i think the last one may interest you the most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman-ff-cell-paint-1-k-1rp.jpg (111.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg woman-ff-cell-paint-2-k-1rp.jpg (127.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg woman-ff-childrens-book-1-k-1rp.jpg (106.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg woman-ff-color-art-1-k-1rp.jpg (186.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mana View Post
I just have one more question on this. When I'm colorizing the face, unless the face is totally shades of black and white as when Adjustments/Threshold is used, it doesn't take on the color you select. For example, when I desaturate the photo there are still levels of greys in it and if I add a skin color on it, it looks murky and not the nice skin color because the face is greyish. How can I remove most color of the face to black and white without using the threshold? I've tried selecting different layer blending modes but it doesn't quite work and I've tried levels but it doesn't give that all around solid color on the face.

Thanks so much.
The following illustration uses Photocopy to render an arty BW image and uses only two colors, but the concepts apply to a desaturated photo.

In a nutshell one could use a combination of Levels (or Curves) plus a layer filled with white to create a suitable image to color. Then use a Solid Fill layer (blend mode set to Color) to apply color to the shadow/detail areas and a Hue Sat layers (with for the Colorize option turned on) to apply color to the non-shadow areas, such as skin or a background.

Multiple layers (with masks) would be needed for the different colors for the Warhol effect.

To me the key layer is the layer filled with white. Use a soft edged brush set to about 15% flow and 100% opacity to paint ("airbrush-like") white onto the mask in shadow (dark) areas to get color on what would otherwise be totally black. Up the flow to 80% or so to "cover up" unwanted blotches in the non-shadow areas.

First I would create the layers shown (settings in layer names), then turn all off except the Photocopy one and the layer filled with white. Paint on the layer mask until happy, then onto the other adjustment layers.

You will most likely need to return to the white layer for some fine tuning.

See if these before/after screenshots make sense and ask any questions you like.

Note the difference the "white layer" makes in the 3rd attachmrent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP Mana 1 before - djr.jpg (116.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RP Mana 2 after - djr.jpg (122.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RP Mana 3 white layer off - djr.jpg (119.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-10-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Newbie Re: Pop Art effect

You all have probably gotten this questioning thing at one time or another during your careers or hobbies. This one came yesterday on my flickr page.
In reference to my image(s) above in this posting. It's of my granddaughter POST NUMBER 7 on this page.

"lillemons2000 says:
Why would you try to make her look like the after? The before is beautiful IMO the after is scary looking. "

Part of my original comment on my work was:

"Followed Topaz Adjust where it took me and arrived at this version of my Granddaughter. I have worked laboriously in the past to obtain this same effect, now Topaz has made it easy. Of course I still have to tweak it a bit myself, nothing is totally automatic.

I have been "LEARNING" Adobe Photoshop since version 3, which I still have a copy of."

Then I felt the need to put this in also and thought I'd share it with you all here at this wonderful place to explore whatever we can come up with.

"I use to do all my own processing of film, printing, etc. In those days it took a large amount of time and effort to do anything to an image post-processing wise. There was/is one photographer (whose url is At Jerry Uelsmann) that based his whole career on this type of an image.

To the purists I say throw away your polarizers, ultra-violet filters, soft focus filter, color balancing filters, various effects filters such as gradient types, fog effect, etc. Oh yeah lets not leave out cross processing or toning of B/W prints."

So anyway I said it and I am glad!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Funny thing happened. the day after I posted this message I received my copy of Rangefinder Magazine in the mail and there is a nice article on Jerry Uelsmann in it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I'm going through your comments and once I come closer to what I want, I'll post it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art