RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Another Paris Street Scene

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

Well within 12 hours of the USS Pueblo Incident with N. Korea the U.S. was allowed to have B52's on Okinawa. Before that there were forbidden as Okinawa is historically aligned with Japan is now back with them as part of the Empire. So we started flying mission to Vietnam from there. I cut 4 hours of flying time flying from there instead of Guam. Anyway during one of our crew rest days myself and another B52 crew member went to the closest town right outside the gates of Kadena AFB. Which as one might imagine held a lot of bars, and then some shops filled with stuff we American's might buy.As we kept going from one store to the other the shop keepers would say a sentence which always had a word that sounded like 'DOZO" in it. By the time we went into the 4th shop I was becoming more paranoid as it was known that the local population was not to keen on the US being there in the first place, much less escalating it's presence there. Back to "DOZO". Finally there was someone else in the shop and thru something that was said I came to realize what "DOZO" meant and how shallow I was then. "DOZO" meant please. They were all saying I help you please.

Now then I have bared my soul to show just how easy it is for people to mistake one another's meaning and maybe resulting in condemning a whole country, culture etc.

SIGH!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
  #32  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
sylvia1065's Avatar
sylvia1065 sylvia1065 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,152
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholmes1936 View Post
Now then I have bared my soul to show just how easy it is for people to mistake one another's meaning and maybe resulting in condemning a whole country, culture etc.
SIGH!!!!!
Yes, that's quite right.
It reminds me when I was in Thailand, my masseuse calling me "pompoye", which means "fat" (OK, I could lose 4 or 5 kilos ). In their culture, there's no problem calling somebody fat or ugly or whatever, it's not meant to be offensive. LOL
Reply With Quote top
  #33  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Joeven's Avatar
Joeven Joeven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sudbury Ontario Canada
Posts: 748
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

Here's one.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paris106-1.jpg (93.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #34  
Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Newbie Re: Another Paris Street Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia1065 View Post
Yes, that's quite right.
It reminds me when I was in Thailand, my masseuse calling me "pompoye", which means "fat" (OK, I could lose 4 or 5 kilos ). In their culture, there's no problem calling somebody fat or ugly or whatever, it's not meant to be offensive. LOL
Yes, I have been there and done that. But, after sitting in the rear cockpit of a B52 for 45 minutes prior to take off over the Gulf of Siam I was nowhere near FAT, I was 145 lbs and 5'10" But, alas, that was then and this is now. I won't tell you what you want to know now, so don't ask.
Reply With Quote top
  #35  
Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
sylvia1065's Avatar
sylvia1065 sylvia1065 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,152
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholmes1936 View Post
I won't tell you what you want to know now, so don't ask.
Hmmmm (scratching head), why not???
Reply With Quote top
  #36  
Old 05-24-2009, 06:38 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

I'll never tell, my weight that is.
Reply With Quote top
  #37  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholmes1936 View Post
Well within 12 hours of the USS Pueblo Incident with N. Korea the U.S. was allowed to have B52's on Okinawa. Before that there were forbidden as Okinawa is historically aligned with Japan is now back with them as part of the Empire. So we started flying mission to Vietnam from there. I cut 4 hours of flying time flying from there instead of Guam. Anyway during one of our crew rest days myself and another B52 crew member went to the closest town right outside the gates of Kadena AFB. Which as one might imagine held a lot of bars, and then some shops filled with stuff we American's might buy.As we kept going from one store to the other the shop keepers would say a sentence which always had a word that sounded like 'DOZO" in it. By the time we went into the 4th shop I was becoming more paranoid as it was known that the local population was not to keen on the US being there in the first place, much less escalating it's presence there. Back to "DOZO". Finally there was someone else in the shop and thru something that was said I came to realize what "DOZO" meant and how shallow I was then. "DOZO" meant please. They were all saying I help you please.

Now then I have bared my soul to show just how easy it is for people to mistake one another's meaning and maybe resulting in condemning a whole country, culture etc.

SIGH!!!!!
Got another one for you.

Newly arrived and stationed in Kyoto, Japan, a musician friend and I were downtown shopping for a banjo which he played.

Every time we would ask if they had a banjo they would point to the rear of the store or down some dark hallway. Well after a frustrating evening we returned to base and some of the guys who had been in Japan for a while informed us that the Japanese word for toilet, (or restroom), was "benjo."

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
  #38  
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Newbie Re: Another Paris Street Scene

I recall when we went down to Mikimotos Pearl Outlet type store halfway to Naha I think it was. i need to use the bathroom. they showed me where the door was. When I went inside there was a concrete platform with about an 8 inch rise to it, followed by another platform on top of it with a 4 inch rise. SUNK into the middle of that platform were two in the ground toilets (mini-commodes). On each side of the open pit design were raised ribbed places to put ones feet while straddling the thing. Couldn't have used it now as my knees and back wouldn't allow it. I mean on was on their haunches.

But the thing that told me the most about my somewhat American-Puritan upbringing was when the door opened and an Okinawan lady stepped in and straddled the tpilet next to me. I figured I was done by then, whether or not I realized I was, can't recall. But , I was shocked then. I wouldn't be now being so much older and realize what's what as it were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bec-116BO-right-side-up-paralell.jpg (95.7 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #39  
Old 05-25-2009, 02:42 PM
sylvia1065's Avatar
sylvia1065 sylvia1065 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,152
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

They still use these toilets in most places in Thailand. In a way, it's more hygienic.
I like your banjo story, Steve. lol
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
  #40  
Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM
gholmes1936's Avatar
gholmes1936 gholmes1936 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, Tx USA
Posts: 733
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Another Paris Street Scene

Seems like I recall that they were like that in Thailand also. I guess if you have done it all your life your knees might be healthier than mine are. Or one was. I have one new knee and will get another new knee in July.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parisian Street Scene gholmes1936 Photo-Based Art 43 07-12-2012 01:42 AM
Some Old Street Rods Svencool HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping 5 09-21-2008 03:52 AM
Paris Street Mall anyone? gholmes1936 Photo-Based Art 28 07-13-2008 01:04 AM
Paris Street Mall-the other Direction! gholmes1936 Photo-Based Art 14 07-03-2008 12:11 PM
Street Sunrise MrThallid Image Help 3 06-04-2008 09:13 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved