RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

kaleidoscope

Old 06-18-2002, 12:13 PM

Thanks Jeanie,
I'll give it a try. What happens to me is I open the image then open the 8ths gif. when prompted. Next thing you know it duplicates the image and throws out the 8ths gif so I'm left with 2 copies of the image and some cross guides on one. If I switch the images I get the 8ths gif with another 8ths layer on top of it. Or sometimes I get the image on the bottom with the 8ths gif as Layer 1. So what I am having to do is manually duplicate the image and delete the original then on the 8ths gif I change to RGB mode and then let the action put the guides on it and I then select all and copy the image and then activate the 8ths gif and pick up the action at the paste command. It usually goes ok from there.

It took awhile to figure all that out. I don't know why it's working so well for everyone else but I will give this new one I try when I get a chance.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 12:46 PM

! Sorry to laugh DJ, but that's quite a description of the problem!

OK - try the new version, though I'm not sure that will change anything since I didn't really change that part of the action at all. It is obviously getting confused over which image is which. Very strange. If nothing changes with the new action, then I would recommend re-recording those steps which aren't working for you. Perhaps start by simply recording the opening of the eighths.gif file so that you don't do it manually and see if that helps at all. If not, then I would change the playback options to delay for 2-3 seconds so you can see exactly which steps are causing the problem. Then stop the action after the problem step, delete it, back up and re-record. Sorry to put all that on you to make the changes, but I'm not sure how else to ensure that it will run on your machine!

Has anyone else run into a similar problem to DJ?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 01:17 PM

Nope. The one you sent me works just beautifully! The only things I have to do are open the 8ths image and then free transform my target image. Then I just sit back and watch it make something really pretty that I get to take all of the credit for...!

Anyone remember a commercial for a woman making Rice Crispy Treats, and she tosses flour on her own face before exiting the kitchen to make it look as though she actully put some effort into them...

I feel like her.

Thank you very much, Jeanie, for all of the hard work you've put into these actions!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 06:30 PM

That's ok Jeanie. I can't figure out why it thinks that previous image is the 8ths gif and not the image I just duplicated from but I can handle doing it by hand that far it's the rest of the stuff that would get involved if I had to work through the whole thing. Eventually I will replace the first few steps to match my screwed up version of PS and all will be right with the world. I'm actually amazed I figured it out. There were some pretty wierd things going on to work through.

Jak
That commercial does not depict how I experienced this action. Quit bragging. No one likes someone who breezes through while they're tearing thier hairs out.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 09:13 PM

Jeanie, thanks so much for the new action versions! I hadn't had any success using the other versions, and I still had trouble using the new version for PS6, but I finally figured out that I wasn't resizing and placing the image properly (it left a big white cross in the center) -- after I figured out how to better place the image, your action automatically created a full kaleidoscope. It'll take me some time to figure out which images will work well as kaleidoscopes, but at least I finally was able to make one!

This is an Arabian horse performing in the "Native Costume" class at the horse show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arab-kaleidoscope.jpg (64.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 09:35 PM

Lightbulb

Eureka!!! I think I have figured out what's going wrong!!!
For some reason I decided to try the action out in PS 6 and low and behold it works beautifully. Which got me to thinking about the differences. I believe it was how I was opening the files. In 6 I had no choice but to open via File > Open where as in 7 I just go to the browser and drag and drop. That evidently has some impact on how events occur. When I did File > Open in 7 all went perfectly. I think if you use the browser and double click instead of drag and drop it should work ok. For some reason double click puts them in order one on top of the other where as drag and drop puts them behind the first dragged file.

I feel vindicated!!!! I'm not stupid!!! (Anymore) Just thought I would pass this on incase others experienced the same problem.

By the way, looks great CJ.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 09:49 AM

Jak - I'm glad the action is working so well for you! Makes my effort worth it to see the beautiful creations that you (and everyone) is making!

CJ - Sorry to not be clear about the fact that your image must completely fill the wedge outline. Otherwise, you'll get that cross. (Although, I have to say - it can produce some intersting results when you take that result and make another kaleidescope from it. See my attachment - of my nephew at a swimming lesson. ) Your kaleidescope looks really neat. One little suggestion - you might try a levels adjustment to lighten it up a bit and make it "pop" more. I'd love to see some more kaleidesopes from the Arabian horses - I have a feeling some of them could be really neat!

DJ- THANK YOU for persisting and figuring out what the problem was! That is valuable information to know and I've included it in the readme file. (FWIW, it is not possible to record drag & drop in an action either. I had to copy/paste instead.)

A little more explanation on this kaleidescope. My sister is really into scrapbooking (no she doesn't cut up old family photos) and apparently kaleidescopes are pretty big in the scrapbooking world to make a "people photo" more interesting for a "cover page" or as a "border" around a photo. The way scrapbookers make kaleidescopes is by getting 8 copies of the same photo and cutting/pasting them (literally). So, my sister thinks this might be an interesting "service" to provide for scrapbookers. In any case, with that background in mind, my sister made some kaleidescopes of my nephew - but in her beginning stages (which I think we've all been through with these ), she forgot to completely fill the wedge and created a kaleidescope with "the cross". I took that further and made another kaleidescope from that and was pleased to see how the lines turned out.

BTW - for anyone doing kaleidescopes of people, you have to be really careful how the body parts are cropped because you can get some "interesting" effects in the kaleidescope.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunter swimming double2.jpg (71.0 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 09:56 AM

OK - I've created actions for 6-, 10- and 12-segment kaleidescopes as well. I've included all of the actions in the same action file, but due to the 100KB file limitation, I've had to split the zip files into separate kaleidescopes because of the *.gif files that are needed to create the wedge selections. So, here's the first one - the 6-segment.

Jeanie
Attached Files
File Type: zip kaleidescopes_v5_six.zip (70.4 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 09:56 AM

10-segment kaleidescope.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kaleidescopes_v5_ten.zip (85.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 09:59 AM

12-segment kaleidescope

I am now DONE creating these actions - unless of course someone finds a problem. (Please do let me know if you fid a problem!) I've decided it's a lot more fun to USE these actions than to CREATE them!

BTW - you'll notice that I have these labeled as v5. The 8-segment action has not changed and is included in the action file anyway. I just didn't see a need to create another zip file containing the *.gif file which you already have if you've downloaded v4.

Have fun!

Jeanie
Attached Files
File Type: zip kaleidescopes_v5_twelve.zip (87.4 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art