RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

kaleidoscope

Old 06-05-2002, 05:27 PM

Okay...just one more

I just figured out how to make the more complicated ones. Unfortunately I didn't use a very colorful photo. Perhaps next time.

-T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaleid3.jpg (85.3 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 08:10 PM

Too much fun!

OK. these kalidescopes are just too much fun!...and addicting! My family is threatening an intervention!

Love the note card idea! Any other suggestions for these interesting images?

You think birdwatchers might be interested in my blue bird eggs?

Maybe Christmas ornaments? UUUMMMMM!

Personalize photographs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blueeggs2.jpg (62.6 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 08:16 PM

Re: Too much fun!

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm
Personalize photographs?
I'm actually getting ready to offer that kind of service, and am considering this Kaleidoscope idea to add to my original one.

I have some frame shops that display samples of my work to refer their clients to. I'm getting ready to approach the owners and see if they want to collaborate on a "turn your favorite photo into a painting" idea.

Now I'm thinking it could be "painting or kaleidoscope"....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2002, 09:04 PM

sjm,

I love the birdnest kaleidoscope! What pretty blue eggs and such a nice balance of colors. It would make a wonderful print!!

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2002, 12:29 AM

T Paul - I'm glad you tried a more complicated version (meaning smaller angles, right?) I've been thinking about that too. I think that photos with smaller "pieces" would lend themselves better to the more complicated ones, since a large pattern in the photo might just take up the entire wedge and not be interesting at all. Definitely somehthing to play around with! When I get some time, I think I'll try one with 8 sections and one with 12 from the same area of a photo just so I can see the difference.

sjm - I LOVE that blue egg one! I don't think you have to limit your market just to birdwatchers! It's just plain beautiful!

Jak - I would definitely offer kaleidescopes as an option. Everyone I've shown them to are just blown away with how beautiful they are. (In fact, I get more comments about those than I do about my paintings. What's the deal with that? )

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 01:02 PM

Well, I've been playing around with trying to write an action for creating a kaleidescope. My problem is that I want it to be ultimately flexible - which I think I'm discovering doesn't lend well to actions. But, since I've never created an action before, it could just be that I don't have a clue!

My thought was that if I could get a 1/8 pie wedge selection shape, then I could move it wherever I wanted allowing for infinite possibilities per photo. My problem is that I haven't figured out an automatic way to then take the wedge and align one of the long straight edges either vertically or horizontally. So, I have to leave that to the user. Plus, I haven't figured out a way to move the pieces automatically AND precisely given that any given wedge is a different size than when I recorded the action.

So, perhaps this isn't really worth being an action, since most of the precision work still has to be done by hand. But perhaps I just don't know enough to make it work the way I want to. If anybody has any great ideas, I'd really appreciate some feedback.

This was created in PS7, but I think it should work in earlier versions. Feedback on that would be appreciated too.

Jeanie

P.S. Jak, please don't post this in your action thread yet since I don't think it's ready for "prime time". I'll let you know when it is.

6/12/02 - To reduce confusion with the various versions I've posted, I've removed the attachment to this poist. Please see this post for the latest version.

Last edited by jeaniesa; 06-12-2002 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 01:05 PM

Of course, while working on the action, I created a thousand kaleidescopes. (Well, perhaps maybe not quite that many, but it sure felt like it last night at 2:00am!)

So, I thought I'd share one. This was created from a photo that I took of my flowering Kalenchoe plant (which I've since discovered is poisonous to cats, so it's now found a new home. )

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kalenchoe kaleidescope.jpg (85.1 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 01:21 PM

You kids are having way too much fun in this thread.

And that's a good thing, as Martha Stuart would say.

Jeanie:

For those of us still back in the PS 5, 5.5 world, how about converting your action to a text file and posting that as well. If you don't recall the obscure technique, here's a link to a thread where the keyboard shortcut + menu choice is detailed. See the first paragraph.

BTW: PS7 has a new feature called a "Scripting Engine," which should enable one with the applicable programming smarts to craft this type of thing to any degree of precision and variability. It will be interesting to see to what degree "script programming" moves forward.

Thanks for sharing your .ATN -- and to the rest of you for sharing your Magical Mystery Tour art!

~DannyR~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 06-10-2002 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 01:26 PM

Thumbs down

Jeanie,

Absolutely stunning! Great colors and such a beautiful pattern! Outstanding job as usual.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the nice comments T!

Danny, I should have thought about the text version myself. Sorry about that. Here it is.

Wow - the Scripting Engine. I hadn't even THOUGHT about that. I thought I was doing well to figure out actions! Guess I'm going to have to dust off the cobwebs in the part of my brain that used to do programming and check that out. That might have to wait for a couple days though. I'm WAY behind on "work".

Jeanie

6/12/02 - To reduce confusion with the various versions I've posted, I've removed the attachment to this post. Please see this post for the latest version. (The text version is included in that attachment.)

Last edited by jeaniesa; 06-12-2002 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art