RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

kaleidoscope

Old 06-10-2002, 10:39 PM

OK, I reworked the action after I had the bright idea of trying to move/transform the image rather than the selection. Makes it a LOT easier, though perhaps a little less flexible. In any case, there's only a couple of stops in this one and no "fine tuning" needed once the action gets going. Seems like this will be a LOT more usable (at least for me)!

Again, created in PS7. This time I've included the text file of the action in the zipped file.

Jeanie

6/12/02 - To reduce confusion with the various versions I've posted, I've removed the attachment to this post. Please see this post for the latest version.

Last edited by jeaniesa; 06-12-2002 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 01:18 AM

I sent the action file to my sister, who has never used an action before, and I'm happy to say that she successfully ran the action and was very happy to have a new toy to play with. She's running PS6.

I'll see if my husband will let me load PS5.02 on his machine and I'll try to redo the action for earlier PS versions.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 06:18 PM

Hi Jeannie

Thanks for working on the kleidoscope action. I just downloaded it and tried it one time using ps 7.0. It is really cool and I can see a lot of fun playing with this action. I am working on learning actions with Danny's help, now yours and appreciate the effort.

I attached my first attemt using your action. This is my friend "Bubba". (He's a macaw if you can't tell)

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bubbakleid.jpg (93.2 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 06:38 PM

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for trying out the action. I'm glad it works for you! Be careful, it will be come addictive because they're so easy to make! I'm working on a slightly improved version given some feedback from my sister (who's also using it) and will post it after she's had a chance to try it out. I feel like I'm hogging this thread - I hope that I'm not boring everyone.

I like the idea of making a kaleidescope using pictures of animals. I did one using a picture of my cat, and while it's not one of the "wow"-type kaleidescopes, it kind of sucks you in as you stare at it - more of a subtle approach.

Your bird one looks pretty neat. Are the white lines caused by a cage or something else?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 08:07 PM

Hi Jeannie

The white lines are his cage. To tell the truth, I really didn't think that I would be that successful on my first try. I just picked a picture at random. I attached it to show how good it came out for a total novice. I will be more selective on future attempts.

I wouldn't worry about hogging the thread. People are like sponges when it comes to things like this. We don't care about threads and such as long as we are learning and having fun..

I will look forward to your future action.

Thanks again
Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 08:37 PM

I can't use it ... Snif....

PS 5.5....

Since it's gotten rave reviews, would you care to donate it to my Actions thread?

Here's the link

I'm starting go feel like one of those blind guys sitting on the street with a tin cup...

"Hey buddy, can you spare an Action??"
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 09:19 PM

Jak,

I haven't found the time yet, but hopefully in the next couple of days, I'll load PS5 on my husband's computer and redo the action for the earlier versions of PS. Then you'll be able to play too!

And, I WILL donate the action to the action thread just as soon as it's "stable". I'm still getting feedback on how to make it better, so I want to wait until the "final version" is out.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 10:08 PM

SJM, I plan to work on a "readme" file to go along with the action tonight and will post when I get it done. My sister had never even heard of an action until I sent mine to her with a long e-mail on how to run it. She was hooked in literally minutes! So, all is not lost - if you wait a few hours, I'll get you some instructions that can't fail. (But if they do, I hope you'll give me some feedback! I really want to make this as fool-proof as possible.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2002, 11:58 PM

I've been checking it out. Seems to work just fine. I run a levels and sharpen after all is done.

Such fun!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg flowerwheel.jpg (52.7 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 12:40 AM

Very cool BK!!

Yes, I've also noticed that sharpening helps to make the kaleidescope jump off the page. I also use levels/curves/saturation/etc. to increase the "pop".

Also, I've taken to filling the background layer (left over at the end of the action) with a color I select from the image - to make a mat of sorts. Also, sometimes I add an inner shadow and outer glow (both at low opacities) to add a little depth to the final version.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art