RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Expressive Painting

Old 09-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Expressive Painting

This is an example of the type of landscape painting effect that I have been trying to duplicate. I would also like to add brush strokes to the image. The tools I have to work with are Photoshop 8, Buzz Pro, Impressionist, various art history brush presets and Coral Painter Essentials 4 that came with my Wacom Tablet. I do not have the artistic talent to digitally paint on a blank canvas. Does anyone have any suggestions of tutorials or DVDís that would be available for purchase that would help me create this expressive look from my digital images?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg expressive-sample2.jpg (99.5 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Re: Expressive Painting

Get a decent camera...take a nice pic. Then I think you can do this all with photoshop...

look up smudging...
the colors are also intense which you can change using hue/saturation or even painting on the color on a different layer then merge..
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 08:14 AM

Regez,

Digital Artist Fay Sarkis has some great dvds specific to landscape art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Personally I feel her DVD's are overpriced for what she provides. Sutton's DVD's are pricey as well, but definitely more material and information. Fay seems to use a good deal of auto painting...which is just smudging by the program(corel painter).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 09:39 AM

To true skydog. I trained with Fay years ago, one either likes her style or not, not much in between. Her DVD's are expensive but most of the training dvd's are fairly high priced. And as you mentioned she uses a bunch of auto painting which i am not a big fan of unless it is just for an underpainting.

Jeremy is a friend of mine and generally does have much more content. I am not sure he has much specifically geared towards landscape.

Marilyn Sholin is also a friend and has some great stuff as well.

I am a newbie on this forum and not here to spam with my own stuff. Having said that, John Derry and I have a magazine that launched last month called digital paint magazine. It is free and there are different free resources being added to the blog constantly.

If the moderator needs to edit or remove this post I understand. As I said it is not my intention to push my own products.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 AM

after reading all the posts maybe it would be a idea to post a photo and see what styles are posted to see which ones you would like
certainly buzz, topaz plug ins would get you very close, as well as other techniques

Oh and i think i have no artistic talent but i get by

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 11:56 AM

This post popped up in my @digitalpaint searches on Twitter and I wanted to address this. The autopainting feature in Corel Painter 11 is a powerful engine that is totally customizable and is not just smudging but specific decisions made by the artist PLUS the artist can even use their own personal brushstroke.
The important feature about digital painting and digital art now is that there are fantastic choices that involve not just autopainting but the total combination of techniques including actions and plugins and by hand painting. This is the power of the new digital art.
If Michelangelo had Painter ...he would have used it as he used all technology of his era. We are just in a new place at an awesome time of artistic change.

I am not endorsing anyones tutorials, etc....but just wanted to clarify how much there is to learn about autopainting in Painter to show it's power.

BTW...Tim's new Digital Paint Magazine has an interview with me and the best price is it's FREE! Good for all of us.

best...

Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Personally I feel her DVD's are overpriced for what she provides. Sutton's DVD's are pricey as well, but definitely more material and information. Fay seems to use a good deal of auto painting...which is just smudging by the program(corel painter).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 04:14 PM

We have seemed to have gone astray here. There have been a lot of comments about Painter X and itís capabilities but I donít have Painter X. Maybe what your saying is I need Painter X to accomplish what I am trying to do, reference my original post.

I have tried Buzz Pro but filters generally donít work well on a complete image. They have to be applied at different strengths on separate parts of the image.

Maybe smudging is the answer. Iíll take another look at that.

I hope I didnít cause any problems with the Painter X group. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Hi Regez,

Thanks for opening up the discussion. I believe you can accomplish your goal with PS only but with much more difficulty without drawing skills. However, you can use various brushes and smudge in PS to get awesome results. I dont know any dvd's or tuts that address this with PS, if someone finds them I would have interest as well. Maybe we should make some?

As a side note you can download a free 30 day trial of painter.

Marilyn-thanks for addressing autopainting more for us. There is a place for it and it is an awesome tool, I should clarify that I am not a big fan of using just auto painting for a finished product.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regez View Post
We have seemed to have gone astray here. There have been a lot of comments about Painter X and itís capabilities but I donít have Painter X. Maybe what your saying is I need Painter X to accomplish what I am trying to do, reference my original post.

I have tried Buzz Pro but filters generally donít work well on a complete image. They have to be applied at different strengths on separate parts of the image.

Maybe smudging is the answer. Iíll take another look at that.

I hope I didnít cause any problems with the Painter X group. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Regez that is why i suggested posting a image so that you would be able to see if any of us get close to the sort of look you are after ( and we do like a challenge )

I do not have/ use painter (mainly due to the cost but also ps keeps me well occupied at the moment and not sure i want another learning curve just yet although i do get tempted )

I do, smudge but i am not sure i would attempt a landscape with all the detail involved, ok upon thinking i might have done one once ! but if you want any links for smudging be sure to take a look here

there are other ways but not that sure you will get what you are after these being the Art History brush and the Pattern stamp tool

plus simplifiying the image and adding a texture is one too look at as well
hope i have given you some food for thought here and not confused the issue more

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art