RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Northern Lights

Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 AM

Northern Lights

Try this amazing photo of the Northern Lights near Yellow Knife, Canada.

Link to my version done with Photoshop:
http://chucksphotoart.blogspot.com/2...rn-lights.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northern-Lights_ws.jpg (97.7 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:40 PM

Re: Northern Lights

Hello, That was beautiful. Your website is doing great job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northern-Lights_ws.jpg (96.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 AM

An Impressionist version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northern-Lights-MA.jpg (192.3 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 AM

I love this photo. Thanks for posting.

Here's an impressionist watercolor-type.

Fran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NorthernLights.jpg (95.1 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Patron

Still haven't got my calibration just right, but thought I still need to keep my fun skills intact. Thanks for the play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northern-Lights_ws.jpg (187.6 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Lyle,
Did I read that you switched over to Win7?? How bad was it? Do you have to take everything off your hard drive first? Do you have to reinstall EVERYTHING??? I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the switch from Vista and I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Fran
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Patron

Hey Fran, you heard right; I upgraded my PC to Win7 Pro 64-bit. Since I did the upgrade path (had XP), I did have to back my info (didn't trust Win7 to do a good job at backing my data and wanted a clean slate anyway which is the right move imo) and followed the instructions for partition wipe (my other two partitions I left alone; didn't take a chance either so I used an external backup as well). The actually install took around 20 minutes (fastest I've seen since Win95). Automagically, in my case, my drivers all worked except my 3COM NIC (mother board NIC worked fine so used that to get online for updates and such; I've since replaced the NIC so that I can use my Lazer Printer again too {didn't want to buy a router; no need for me to do so and NIC only cost me $15}). Getting my stuff to where I almost like (still need some tweaking) took the better part of 2 days (always seems to do so). My only disappointment (got Pro) is XP Mode (and I need to have this for a few of the apps that I still use). I used VirtualBox and created another XP VM (wanted my 98 VM too since I like UNO and it doesn't play well in XP and am sure it won't in Win7 either). Both VMs works great (300% better then XP Mode) so don't waste your money on 7 Pro; Get Home Premium and then download VirtualBox (it's Open Source, i.e, free) and then get an XP CD and have a legitimate license and install XP (get a techy friend since this in not really a lay person's task unfortunately; not hard for me since I fix PCs, but can be a challenge for the un-initiated). I had already transferred my license to Adobe so CS2 was a cakewalk to install in Win7. Of course the GIMPs (version 1.2x and version 2.6x) were easy too. Copied all my plugins back and all appears well (at least with the few plugins that I've tried). Autotrace, unfortunately, didn't work at all in Win7, but still works great in the VM. Also (and I already knew this) is that Sandboxie does not run with Win7 64-bit so I'm using it in the VM (typing this message now in XP; lol). As mentioned earlier, I'm a PC tech and am 100% convinced that the only safe PC with a Sandboxed one. Now I'm doubly sandboxed since I'm using Sandboxie in a VM too; lol. Creating shares between the Host and the Client (more VM talk) was more challenging, but not hard thanks to online help for VirtualBox (one good thing about XP-Mode is that the shares are done automagically; one of the only good things imo).

Now, I got to stop (need to head to Huntsville and visit my sister; my Great Niece's birthday is today). Probably gave way too many details anyway. I'm very pleased with Win7 so far. Will see if the next few weeks change my mind. I can tell you that my PC seems at least twice as fast then before and I clean boot within 1 minute now (use to take around 4 minutes; probably still does in a way since I start my VM afterwards which takes around another minute if I didn't already start from Hibernate).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 AM

very nice picture, i always wanted to see the northern lights.

Northern-Lights_ws-reduced.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 PM

Calibrated or not Lyle, yours still looks great. And thanks for your experience with Win7.

Welcome to RetouchPro ckjeep.

Thanks for the play Photomaster.
Click here for full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4044979032_76e05fee67_m[1].jpg (15.7 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Wow, Lyle, thanks for your lenghty reply. Not that I understood one word of it but as you suggested, I'm having a techie do my installing for me so I'm copying your post and will give it to him. WIth any luck he'll know what you're talking about. LOL I'm going to make the switch as soon as I can -- Vista is driving me nuts.

Thanks,
Fran
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art