RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Need your help with this Photo painting

Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Need your help with this Photo painting

I've spent weeks on working on a family portrait and painting in Corel Painter. Actually this is the first time I'm seriously working on it after watching lots of vids from Richard Ramsey, Fay Sirkis, Jeremy Sutton etc.
Here's what I have done so far:
Resized the image to 20'x30'.
In photoshop, Color corrected the image.
Removed the blemishes.
Did a Nik Tonal contrast.
Took it to Painter. and used Acrylics->Captured Bristle with lower re-saturation value and painted it. For hair, I used one of the Marilyn Sholin's brush.

Brought back in Photoshop. Added Vibrance and then added Nik Tonal Contrast. Added a background.
Ran Nik Sharperner.
Then resized the image again to be able to post here.

Seems like re-sizing took a lot of brush strokes that are visible in original size.

I contacted Palms offline and she made some good suggestions about this painting. But after all this work, I am still not happy with the results. So I thought I should post it for everyone to suggest me what more should I do with this one to give it a punch and what areas are lacking that painted look.

Thank you guys...you all are the best.

Attachment: Final version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final-Output.jpg (99.0 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Re: Need your help with this Photo painting

And here's the one before I took it to Painter. (Used it as a clone source)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final-Original.jpg (89.1 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Iseek... There is painting and then there is painting. JMHO, but what you have is still too photo realistic for me to consider it a "painting". Most of the 'painters' around here use something like Topaz Simplify to soften the photo image so that it looks less like a photo before starting to paint.

Here's one of my favorite watercolors. You'll note that even the original photo isn't a great photo. It's grainy and has a lot of hot spot (white) highlights, but they play in nicely when softened and the pixels are pushed around in Photoshop.

This photo painting was done in Photoshop with some smudging and then using the Pattern Stamp Tool. I have a couple video tutorials (see the link in my signature) on my painting methods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo.jpg (65.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Painted.jpg (185.5 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks Swampy...I too realize that it it is very photo realistic...And that's the thing I want to overcome. What I have seen in some of the Photoshop smudges that their face looks smooth but over all they still look more of a painting. That's the kind of thing I want to achieve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM

ISeek... I call it 'mucking up the pixels' to eliminate the photographic realism. The smudge tool, some PS filters (Median comes to mind) third party Topaz Simplify (or Buzz if you can still find it) are great for this. You can use a line drawing black and white in overlay mode to bring back some detail (mask it back or use the black and white as a pattern with the Pattern Stamp tool to give hints and suggestions of detail).

I have Painter, but have never mastered it. I prefer the Art History or Pattern Stamp Tool in PS with funky brushes to paint with. You can add bevel and emboss styles to painted layers to get brush stroke effects. Lots of fun and very addictive. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm with swampy. Increase the brush size/ feature valuesand lower the re-saturation. Then lower the the brush size gradually to add detail. Kinda like traditional painting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Patron

A handsome young family for sure. Do some searching on Aniso and simplication. Very important concepts w.r.t. photo art rendering imo. I used a combination of Reverse Aniso, additional anisotrophic smoothing (to clean the reverse aniso simplication step), and some smudging (needed some additional cleaning).

edit: needs some additional tlc; lol

Sorry about the artifacts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final-Original.jpg (192.8 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 PM

I have a thread called Dog-Easy Fake Smudge in here if you want to look at it. Don't know if this helps you or not.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final-Output.jpg (97.7 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Iseek... There is painting and then there is painting. JMHO, but what you have is still too photo realistic for me to consider it a "painting". Most of the 'painters' around here use something like Topaz Simplify to soften the photo image so that it looks less like a photo before starting to paint.

Here's one of my favorite watercolors. You'll note that even the original photo isn't a great photo. It's grainy and has a lot of hot spot (white) highlights, but they play in nicely when softened and the pixels are pushed around in Photoshop.

This photo painting was done in Photoshop with some smudging and then using the Pattern Stamp Tool. I have a couple video tutorials (see the link in my signature) on my painting methods.
Swampy, what texture did you use. It is so wonderful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 AM

Gunner... It was a spatter brush. I may have included it in my download set of brushes. The background was done using a spatter brush with the Pattern Stamp Tool and the impressionist feature turned ON.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art