RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Can you get watercolor paper for ink jet printers?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Can you get watercolor paper for ink jet printers?

I have been working like a crazy person on my photo art technique (it's soooo fun!) and have gotten to the place where I would really like to start printing some of them. Because I tend towards the watercolor look on my paintings, I'd really like to find some watercolor paper that would work on my printer. I have a wide format Canon Pixma Pro 9000, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions on what to order and who might have a really nice quality paper?

Thanks,
Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Re: Can you get watercolor paper for ink jet print

I wanted the same look and acheived it by buying some watercolor paper in a tablet and then tearing out the sheets and running them thru my printer. It made my photo art look even more realistic.

Dak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM

I didn't know you could do that. Thanks Dak, I'll try it. What do the rest of you do?

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM

I print "large format" arty stuff at firms like WHCC and Mpix.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Thanks Danny, but it doesn't look like Mpix has watercolor type paper and I had hoped to pay a little less than $30 for an 8x10 from WHCC, since I'm still in the experimental stage. I had hoped to find watercolor printer paper so I could do lower cost experimental printing at home. It is worth it to pay for professional printing for some things, but I'm not quite at that stage yet. I guess I'll run some regular watercolor paper through the printer and see what happens. I found a few sheets in the closet this afternoon. It looks like it would absorb ink like a sponge though, so I don't know what the effect will be. I guess there's no way to know except to try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 AM

go to Staples or any other good office supply place. the number of papers you can find is unreal. also, buy a decent paper cutter because some of what you buy isnt going to fit your printer. you did say wide format, but if i remember right, that means only 13" x 19" and as such, you're going to find things that are too large. also, check your printer's web site and manuals, especially the spec sheets. you shld be able to find how thick of a paper or material your printer can handle. they vary.

i'm still waiting for the true flat bed printer for home use or to poster size that doesnt require you to mortgage your home. a true flat bed has a tray that slides under the print heads instead of through rollers and then dries the inks with ultraviolet light immediately after the print heads. this allows you to print on just about any surface, including glass, plastic, cloth, papers, wood and so on up to about a half inch. the larger, commercial models can even print on things like doors and 4' x 8' sheets of wood. but, wouldnt that be cool to be able to print on glass?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 AM

Sweet! I need to go to Staples anyway so I'll check on paper then. I did find that Canon does make watercolor type papers and you can find them on Amazon for about $1 (or a little more) a page. That's more my price range until I figure out what I'm going to do with the prints. All I'm trying to do right now is find out what I can do. I'll have to check the printer manual for thickness -- didn't even think of that. duh. Canvas will come after I see what I can do with paper. This is all so much fun!

Oh yeah -- printing in any size on any surface would be the ultimate in cool. Glass would be amazing! I love my Canon, but you are right in that the size is still pretty limited. It does give very nice prints, but if I can plan ahead and want to print a lot, I'll usually send it out for printing. Costco actually does a pretty good job for what I want so far. (I know I probably just made all you printing purists shudder!)

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Hahnemuhle and Canson make some lovely watercolur, inkjet paper. Epson also produce textured fine art paper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Do you have a favorite or do you use different kinds for different projects? I'll be trying it out for the first time.
Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Newbie Re: Can you get watercolor paper for ink jet print

Hey, you might try this URL, I am not pushing this company but they have a nice selection of inkjet papers listed.

It's Precision Photo in Austin, Tx where I live.
They have been around for over 25 years-so far.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art