RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

PLUGIN: Buzz (aka: BuzzPro Buzz Pro)

View Poll Results: Would you like to see more "show-n-tell" threads similar to this in this forum?
Yes, definitely. 141 97.92%
I could go either way 3 2.08%
Thanks, but no thanks. 0 0%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2005, 07:36 PM

Try deleting these two files from your windows folder, then reinstalling.

Buzzp2lic.dll
Buzzp3lic.dll
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 08:50 PM

great stuff! thanks, danny

but i'm wondering, is there a current link to the freebie? the one way back on page one seems to have expired. or does anyone have this version that came in that magazine?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 08:13 AM

Buzz Dll's

Did a search, but not able to locate either of these DLL's on my drive. Must have removed them when I uninstalled.

The company won't admit it but they had to have installed a file in the registry to prevent re-installing.

I appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffbutt
Try deleting these two files from your windows folder, then reinstalling.

Buzzp2lic.dll
Buzzp3lic.dll
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 08:19 AM

It has been a few weeks since I had the problem with Buzz and I have made changes to my drive since that time. A predated restore will remove some new registry items I have added.

If I had done this at the time, it probably would have worked.

And I thank you for your interest.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Steve

Just a thought. If you have system restore activated you could go back to a time before the installation. This should correct your registry and then you could reinstall.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Sorry this is turning out to be such a hassle, Steve.

Under Windows 2000 I just did a RegEdit and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (and nowhere else) found two keys related to Buzz (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\buZZ plugin file, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\buZZ stack file).

If you're into this sort of tinkering at your own risk you could do a Registry backup, then delete the Buzz related keys and see if that gets you around the problem.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Regedit

I usually break out in a cold sweat at the mention of editing the registry, but in this case I am so fed up with this mess that I may be tempted. Thanks for the names of the files.

Give me a day or so to get up my nerve. 8-)

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael

Under Windows 2000 I just did a RegEdit and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (and nowhere else) found two keys related to Buzz (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\buZZ plugin file, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\buZZ stack file).

If you're into this sort of tinkering at your own risk you could do a Registry backup, then delete the Buzz related keys and see if that gets you around the problem.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 07:20 AM

Removed these two files from the registry yesterday. Then tried installing Buzz Lite. Same message, as to the installer being interrupted and that the installation could not continue.

Would still bet that there are files in the registry from my first attempt that are causing all this trouble. A company that won't admit this is not worth buying from anyway....IMHO.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 09:17 AM

steve,

two quick thoughts on this. remove ALL your previous folders and files for buzz, then try installing again. and two, look in your computer account stuff for extra files. you know, the name you log into windows with, that account stuff. companies often put files and folder in there that have .ini type files in them, or even .dll's.

and yes, there could still be reg entries, possibly even encrypted entries, especially if you installed a demo version with some sort of limits on it, like a 30 day trial. these can be very hard to find and remove.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 10:15 AM

I run "Clean Sweep" on all installations to my pc. I removed the Buzz demo using it and normally it does a pretty thorough job of cleaning things up. Obviously something is still there. So the encryption of some files makes sense.

I don't want to keep bothering everyone on the board with this. It's really no big deal, I guess, unless I really wanted to buy and use a Buzz product. Doesn't seem to affect anything else. I'll probably just do a bit more checking, as per your suggestions, then forget it.

Thanks Craig, and to all who responded.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
steve,

two quick thoughts on this. remove ALL your previous folders and files for buzz, then try installing again. and two, look in your computer account stuff for extra files. you know, the name you log into windows with, that account stuff. companies often put files and folder in there that have .ini type files in them, or even .dll's.

and yes, there could still be reg entries, possibly even encrypted entries, especially if you installed a demo version with some sort of limits on it, like a 30 day trial. these can be very hard to find and remove.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 PM

steve,

you're welcome.

now, this wont help you with the current problem, but it might save you hassles in the future. get a program called 'Total Uninstall'. it's similar to clean sweep, but a bit better. whenever you're going to install something, particularly something that might be a bit suspect, you run total uninstall first and use it to install the other program. in other words, it acts as a parent installer.

however, it goes one step further. it also monitors the total installation AND logs it. the way it does this is by monitoring the API calls. nothing can be written to the harddrive without an API call. that means files, folders, images, registry and everything. total uninstall monitors the api calls and logs all of them. nothing can be written to the harddrive without total uninstall seeing it.

that means several things in use. one, you can find those idiot things that some programs put in the programs, like spyware, find exactly where they've been put and in some cases wipe them out without killing the program. it means you can find all the 'hidden' files that some programs install. it means you can find .dll writes that some viruses use to embed themselves. and it means you when you go to uninstall a program, you once again use total uninstall, the log it kept of the install, and COMPLETELY uninstall the unwanted program.

the downside to this is, it takes about 3 times as long to install any program. you have to run total uninstall, set it up to install the child program and wait a longer time for all the logging and finalizing and so on.

the reason i say total uninstall is better than clean sweep is based on a conversation i had with one of my brothers who uses clean sweep. we compared notes on how each one works and the upshot was he was going to try total uninstall. i dont recall the differences between the two, and clean sweep may just be fine and do essentially the same things, but i do seem to recall that there was something about total uninstall that made more sense.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art