RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

PLUGIN: Buzz (aka: BuzzPro Buzz Pro)

View Poll Results: Would you like to see more "show-n-tell" threads similar to this in this forum?
Yes, definitely. 141 97.92%
I could go either way 3 2.08%
Thanks, but no thanks. 0 0%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2005, 10:33 AM

T.i.

Sounds like it might be something to consider. I know I would never install anything without Clean Sweep running. Has saved me a lot of disk space that junk from uninstalled programs can leave. Just for my own info I have tried uninstalling programs with their built-in uninstaller. Then uninstalled with Clean Sweep and am amazed at what was left that CS found.

Thanks again.

B.T.W. anyone know which thread it was where someone posted a lady playing a harp on the street?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
steve,

you're welcome.

now, this wont help you with the current problem, but it might save you hassles in the future. get a program called 'Total Uninstall'. it's similar to clean sweep, but a bit better. whenever you're going to install something, particularly something that might be a bit suspect, you run total uninstall first and use it to install the other program. in other words, it acts as a parent installer.

however, it goes one step further. it also monitors the total installation AND logs it. the way it does this is by monitoring the API calls. nothing can be written to the harddrive without an API call. that means files, folders, images, registry and everything. total uninstall monitors the api calls and logs all of them. nothing can be written to the harddrive without total uninstall seeing it.

that means several things in use. one, you can find those idiot things that some programs put in the programs, like spyware, find exactly where they've been put and in some cases wipe them out without killing the program. it means you can find all the 'hidden' files that some programs install. it means you can find .dll writes that some viruses use to embed themselves. and it means you when you go to uninstall a program, you once again use total uninstall, the log it kept of the install, and COMPLETELY uninstall the unwanted program.

the downside to this is, it takes about 3 times as long to install any program. you have to run total uninstall, set it up to install the child program and wait a longer time for all the logging and finalizing and so on.

the reason i say total uninstall is better than clean sweep is based on a conversation i had with one of my brothers who uses clean sweep. we compared notes on how each one works and the upshot was he was going to try total uninstall. i dont recall the differences between the two, and clean sweep may just be fine and do essentially the same things, but i do seem to recall that there was something about total uninstall that made more sense.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
ust for my own info I have tried uninstalling programs with their built-in uninstaller. Then uninstalled with Clean Sweep and am amazed at what was left that CS found.
yup, so am i. and i'm doubly surprised that windows doesnt log all installs and install paths and have a built-in uninstaller. quite amazing that it doesnt. seems like it would be a standard thing for an o/s.

as for the lady harpist, she's in the photo-art stuff....somewhere. i think it's in the main sub-menu, down below the stickied sub-sub-forums.

Craig

edit: in fact, it's just a few threads down from the one we're in right now.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-based-art/11209-street-harpist.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 07:24 AM

Buzz Simplifier for Mac OSX?

I have been reading with interest all the great reviews for the Buzz Simplifier filter. I am running Mac OS 10.3.9 and Photoshop CS. Looking at the links in this post, if I want to buy the Simplifier only - it only works on Mac OS 8 or 9. Does anyone know if the plug-in is available for OSX? Or would I have to purchase the PRO version - which is more than I want to spend?

I have enjoyed this site. I just discovered it last week and have downloaded some wonderful actions. Thanks! I look forward to learning more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdesigns
I have been reading with interest all the great reviews for the Buzz Simplifier filter. I am running Mac OS 10.3.9 and Photoshop CS. Looking at the links in this post, if I want to buy the Simplifier only - it only works on Mac OS 8 or 9. Does anyone know if the plug-in is available for OSX? Or would I have to purchase the PRO version - which is more than I want to spend?

I have enjoyed this site. I just discovered it last week and have downloaded some wonderful actions. Thanks! I look forward to learning more.
Thanks for your kind words. We're glad to have you. Welcome aboard.

I was able to reach someone at fo2pix on your question: In a nutshell, "No" as of 9/2005.

Sorry about that.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 09-17-2005 at 05:40 PM. Reason: update with current information
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 02:40 PM

I finally have Buzz Pro installed!

Bought Buzz Pro 2 and loaded it on my laptop. Had no trouble loading it there.

In order to work around the Buzz installer which seemed to hang up on my desktop, I just moved the entire installed Buzz file to my desktop from my laptop. Works great!

So I will be boring you folks with it for awhile. 8-) Attached is first one.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WalkwayBuzz2.jpg (79.6 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 02:42 PM

NOW! How about some Buzz tutorials for PSP 9????

Anyone?

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
NOW! How about some Buzz tutorials for PSP 9????

Anyone?

Steve
Good for you, Steve. Glad you got past the installer and were able to crank out your first Buzz rendered interpretation.

re: "How about some Buzz tutorials for PSP 9"
The content for Buzz (only) tutorials would be the same regardless of hosting application or did you mean something else?

Check out this tread (scroll down to the Buzz links) for links to a couple sites that have exceptional Buzz tutorials:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-based-art/3244-tutorials-photo-art-tutorials-links.html

As I recall there are some pretty meaty tutorials on the installation CD if you went that route. I don't know if they are be included with the download version.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 09-17-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2005, 08:45 AM

Hello Danny. Thanks for the note.

When used in different host programs the tutorials can be quite different, as you know. People like to tweak Buzz or add steps or tools from their program. Sometimes I can improvise, but a lot of the time I bog down trying to convert these functions to PSP9. I was just hoping that those who use Buzz with PSP would post tips on how they use Buzz with it.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
re: "How about some Buzz tutorials for PSP 9"
The content for Buzz (only) tutorials would be the same regardless of hosting application or did you mean something else?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 12:26 PM

Steve, I use Buzz Pro in PSP 9, and I've had it for several years. When I first got it, I Buzzed everything that would hold still, but lately I use it in moderation, usually to add color or to simplify in layers. I don't know if this link has already been posted, but this lady's site has always inspired me to try new things with Buzz Pro.
http://www.skydancers.com/_fo2pix/buzz_tutes.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 09:29 AM

I have indeed tried this site for Buzz....and it IS a good one. I thank you for posting it.

I still find new things all the time that Buzz can do. It's great alone and when used in combination with other plugins can be exceptional.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniday
Steve, I use Buzz Pro in PSP 9, and I've had it for several years. When I first got it, I Buzzed everything that would hold still, but lately I use it in moderation, usually to add color or to simplify in layers. I don't know if this link has already been posted, but this lady's site has always inspired me to try new things with Buzz Pro.
http://www.skydancers.com/_fo2pix/buzz_tutes.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art