RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

NON-Photo Art Tutorials - Pastels, Watercolor etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 PM

NON-Photo Art Tutorials - Pastels, Watercolor etc.

WHY would I post a link to a Non-photo, Non-digital art tutorial?

I never studied art in school, except for our grade school art classes, which I don't really remember and probably were only pencil and paper drawing free time. When I try a digital painting effect, I have to go look up some photos of finished works of that type of art to get some idea of what the end result should look like, which only works so well since I can't see the texture of the paper or the medium. I should go to the art museums to investigate more, and I will, but I thought looking at tutorials for those who are learning to do pastels with the actual piece of chalk in their hand, and watercolors for those with a brush, could help me get a feel for the process I am trying to duplicate without the fear of spilling the water or sniffing the dust.

ArtGraphica is a site that I found while looking for pastels, and this site offers free tutorials in pastels, pencil drawing, acrylics, watercolour, charcoal, oil and more - a bit of art theory, for example. I'm not sure how good it is, but the finished works look great, and the artists know much more than I do, so I'm going to read thru some of them and see if I can get a "feel" for how these mediums are done without a computer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Re: NON-Photo Art Tutorials - Pastels, Watercolor

CJ-Another good art site is http://www.wetcanvas.com. Many different tutorials and just plain good work in a multitude of different media.
Shari
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharynideas View Post
CJ-Another good art site is http://www.wetcanvas.com....
Good one, Shari ! I even joined that website some years ago, now that you mentioned it - don't remember my login. I think a few of RetouchPro members were/are members - those who know how to use both a brush AND a computer. I guess I've had this idea before - studying what non-digital artists do, but haven't worked at it as much as I do with Photoshop. It's so much easier to clean up after using Photoshop - no brushes to clean, no paints/pastels/charcoal to put away. But I do need to spend the time learning how THEY do their work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2010, 03:07 AM

Like you C.J. my only art studying was at school and then it was pointed out that it was that good i would be better taking cookery instead lol
I now have a healthier appreciation for "traditional" art. but dare i say not a love for the "rules" etc, which is why i do not on a whole label my work as say Watercolour, oil painting etc etc
and i get a lot of inspiration from looking through flickr and deviant art ( for a bit more modern take )

but oh what a joy to have a non messy hobby , as you say no brushes etc to clean and put away,

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 PM

Palms, I think you ran into a teacher like that man who now creates impossible works of art inside the head of the needle - a teacher who spoke without thinking and without perception. Most teachers encourage students to try everything and see what they can learn to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM

CJ, dont worry too much about traditional art. it's all about what looks good to you and communicates to others.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art