Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Discussion: Approaching a photo-art project

Old 06-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Discussion: Approaching a photo-art project

Hi Everyone,
I've been following this thread every chance that I get and it's been awsome. I never know what to try next. What I usually do is print out a particular technique that interests me so that I can try it the next time I'm in PS. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to list all of the steps to accomplish a technique. This is something I have to work on doing...I'm still too "seat of the pants" and then I can't duplicate what I've done. Still haven't zeroed in yet in what artistic direction to go only that this is where I know I want to go with my photography.What I'm finding interesting is how I'm looking at works of art now.I'm noticing that artists each have their own style or school and really seem to stay with it.Some like Wyeth use the same subject over and over.So what I'm going to do is decide on a subject first and then try out this same subject in different genres.Who knows-maybe we'll develop a whole new school of art on this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 08:31 PM
I like your words, paulette conlan, I think that you really think about art and what you want to be and your place in it. Me too, lost, just like you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 08:47 PM

I know what you mean...

Though this forum started just a month ago (June, 2002), I feel a little overwhelmed sometimes trying to absorb and try all the great techniques folks post. It's like trying to sip water out of a fire hose! There just aren't enough hours in the day to play! This is definitely the most fun I've ever had -- with my clothes on, that is!

Regarding the "seat of the pants" method for creating... Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes the creativity impulse gets stiffled if it's constantly interrupted to record steps as you go. To my knowledge there's no foolproof method.

Some folks try capturing the magic by referring to the steps recorded in the History palette. This can work as long as there aren't too many brush, clone, smudge, etc. strokes and/or blend or opacity tweeks, thereby exceeding the 100 state maximum (in PS 5.5, anyway) and overwriting steps at the beginning.

Others have tried to capture the moment by recording steps via Actions. No problem losing steps here, but if you are like me and tend to tend to try this, undo it, try that, undo that, take three steps forward... then undo them, the resulting Action is about as easy to decipher as a foreign roadmap by moonlight.

Other methods I'm aware of require include:
* Getting one of those mini tape recorders and with each "keeper step" record a brief message such as, "Unsharp mask, 150,2," click it off, and go on. After you're done, playback the tape and document the process.
* Use the 1 (2 or 3 changes max) to a layer method and record what was done to the layer in the layer name, e.g., "Desat, Glowing Edges(2,5,15), invert" or "Dry Brush (2,5,8), Multiply."
* If you're a PS7 user (I'm not), there's some sort of note taking feature (associated with each layer, I believe) available for recording whatever you want.

Anyway... if you find something that works for you, by all means let us know.

Please feel welcome to post some of your creations either in this forum or the site gallery
as your style develops.

Glad you're having fun. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Re: Kid in a Candyshop

Originally posted by paulette conlan
...What I'm finding interesting is how I'm looking at works of art now. I'm noticing that artists each have their own style or school and really seem to stay with it.
This is true for some artists but most go through multiple styles...often several at the same time! Famous artists usually become known for a particular technique or period in their artistic life and that ends up being a kind of "signature"....but it's usually not the only style they work in. Take Georgia O'Keeffe for example- Most people think she only painted flowers but that was only a small part of her life's work. I think you will find that most artists rarely stick to just one style, technique or subject. Picasso is another good example. He went through more phases and styles than I can count! His great ability was being able to master each style and even invent new ones.

My advice would be NOT to try and narrow down a particular style or subject. Start out with what you like and let it evolve from there. The nice thing about digital is that it affords you the ability to try multiple techniques in a fraction of the time it would take with traditional media.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art