RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

ImpressionFX plugin - do you have it?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 AM

ImpressionFX plugin - do you have it?

If you have this plugin (ImpressionFX) installed and working, I would appreciate it if you would e-mail or PM me.

Note: I do not mean Microsoft Impressionist

The one I'm interest in is the one described here:
http://impressionfx.com/current/impressionfx.php

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Re: ImpressionFX plugin - do you have it?

Has anyone bought this???
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 AM

I did a few months ago as a "birthday present" for myself, otherwise I would not have paid that much.

I like many of the effects, but there is no documentation and it's not easy to intuitively figure out what all the controls and their options do -- and there are a LOT of them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM

I wonder if it is possible to document it in a useful way. I remember trying to see if I could document a single Paint Engine control, and it was beyond me. The controls vary so much under different conditions, I wondered if these were simply mathematical algorithms don't translate to our daily understanding.

Is it possible to import or manual translate Paint Engine presets into it? Also, have you gotten any useful results from this, worthy of posting? Or do you see this tool as capable of making a significant step in a series of steps?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
I did a few months ago as a "birthday present" for myself, otherwise I would not have paid that much.

I like many of the effects, but there is no documentation and it's not easy to intuitively figure out what all the controls and their options do -- and there are a LOT of them.
That really looks like a winner. (Except for the price)

Can you show some of the work you have done with it? And give us a bit more info?

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
That really looks like a winner. (Except for the price)

Can you show some of the work you have done with it? And give us a bit more info?
I just remembered that I used this program as a pre-release demo. There's a thread about it here some place. I guess the best way to describe it is it's a pro version of free Paint Engine that is available from Fantastic Machines. It has a better preview screen and better controls. But it still does things in a Paint Engine way. It mushes pixels around in a way that looks very interesting, but can also overpower the composition. The author gives some good advice on his web site about the types of pictures it works on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Patron

I did participate in the original beta too; looked quite promising, but then the price was released and decided that this program wasn't for me. If they were reasonable ($25 or $30) then I would have gotten it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Virtual Painter costs $55. Gertrudis costs $59. I think both are more useful. Akvis Sketch costs $73, which I think is at the high end. And above all these is Impressionfx for $95, and it doesn't afford as much targeted control. Of course, there's SnapArt at around $200. I think it's the worst tool of all the ones I mentioned. But it appears to be selling.

Anyway, I really wish him well in selling ImpressionFX. I mean that sincerely. He let us use Paint Engine Beta for free all those years and he deserves some money. I hope he finds his market.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM

I've been thinking more about these heavy strokers like Paint Engine. It happens I was looking at a photo I rendered years ago using a a different stroke-heavy filter, and the dramatic effect looked sort of interesting, except it wrecked the woman's face. So I just redid the face as follows:

1. Blended in some of the luminosity of the original using a layer mask. This removed strokes but keep the color the filter had created. That worked to a degree, by putting back some much needed detail, but now the face looked too not-painted.

2. I made a second copy of the fully stroked version, used the smudge tool to smooth out the strokes on the face somewhat, trying to smudge in a logical direction. Then I used a layer mask to blend bits and pieces of this into the result of version 1.

What I ended up with what a picture with dramatic brush strokes in the background, and a face that was not pushed out of shape. It seemed hang to together. But I like to put pictures away for awhile and see them with a fresh eye. Still, I thought I'd post this as an idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM

This is a great one!
http://www.postworkshop.net/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art