Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Help me make a gift..

Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Re: Help me make a gift..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeven View Post
I think Charles the biggest problems will be the size of the picture if you want to print it at 30'X40' and changing the background because of the hair.

Joe
Joe, this is very nice portrait painting!

1. Did you use Fotosketcher or something else to achieve this look? What were your steps if that is not secret?

2. What do you mean by saying that size of the picture will be problem?

3. I am not worried about changing the background and dealing with hair. This is composite that I have printed large and I came out pretty good. I would change a few little details now as I have learned to watch for certain things thank to members of this forum.

Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
Here are a couple interpretations where the horse remains photographic while the BG is made to look 'painterly.'
Hi DannyRaphael, thank you for your images. Nice to see another approach. Did you do anything to horse or just background?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat--- View Post
Hi - If your program has a smudge tool you could try smudge painting.
Hi Pat, I will definitely look into smudge painting to see what effects can be accomplished. Simple blur doesn't do it for me but I see your point of demonstration.

Thanks Charles

Last edited by Charles_cz; 04-25-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo..
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Here is a variation that's simple to do:

- surface blur that takes out a lot of detail and a slight fragmentation blur, dup layer

- set top layer to lightness, or whatever looks good to you, copy merged and paste as new layer

- apply a filter that will smooth out image, I used Mehdi's Edge FX erode edges. It is a free plugin and can be found here. Or a paint effect could look nice too.

- curves, adjusted to a setting you like

One thing to think about, sometimes a smaller picture in a really nice frame that can go on wall or table or in the suitcase for vacation is more versatile than a huge picture stuck in one spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nova_Painting 2 RP.jpg (95.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Again i have used the smudge tool with the addition of textures the first two textures are by shadowhouse and the 3rd by vintage findings

Thank you for allowing us to play with your photo great fun ( although i nearly tore my hair out with the mane and whiskas lol)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nova_Painting.jpg (74.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Nova_Painting-2.jpg (97.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Nova_Painting3.jpg (71.7 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms View Post
Thank you for allowing us to play with your photo great fun ( although i nearly tore my hair out with the mane and whiskas lol)
Hi Palms, pleasure is mine. Thank you for showing me more of smudge painting. It looks very great!

I especially like crackle finish looking like old oil paint finish. I assume it is another PS plug-in? Looks great with new background!

Did you use regular smudge tool like one in PS or did you use plug-in?

I have a feeling that combination of traditional tools and plug-ins might be way to go if you use PS.

I can see how all that hair can make it more difficult to work with. ;-)

Thanks Charles

Last edited by Charles_cz; 04-25-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_cz View Post
Joe, this is very nice portrait painting!

1. Did you use Fotosketcher or something else to achieve this look? What were your steps if that is not secret?

2. What do you mean by saying that size of the picture will be problem?

3. I am not worried about changing the background and dealing with hair. This is composite that I have printed large and I came out pretty good. I would change a few little details now as I have learned to watch for certain things thank to members of this forum.

Charles
Hey Charles the reason I mentioned the size of the picture is when you start adding textures and layers you use up a lot of memory. If you have a lot on your computer then it really doesn't matter that much. I don't use Fotosketcher only Photoshop and different plug-ins. I used Nik Color Effect Pro's Tonal Contrast setting for the contrast. You could use Topaz Adjust or Lucis Art to get the same effect. To smooth it or give it a smudge like effect I use Redfield Perfectum at 40%. Then I create a luminosity layer (ctrl+alt+` then CTRL+j) and a bevel and emboss layer style to give it some depth. Other then that it's all just messing around until your happy with it.

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeven View Post
Hey Charles the reason I mentioned the size of the picture is when you start adding textures and layers you use up a lot of memory. If you have a lot on your computer then it really doesn't matter that much. I don't use Fotosketcher only Photoshop and different plug-ins. I used Nik Color Effect Pro's Tonal Contrast setting for the contrast. You could use Topaz Adjust or Lucis Art to get the same effect. To smooth it or give it a smudge like effect I use Redfield Perfectum at 40%. Then I create a luminosity layer (ctrl+alt+` then CTRL+j) and a bevel and emboss layer style to give it some depth. Other then that it's all just messing around until your happy with it.

Joe
I see. I don't know if I have "a lot of memory" but I think 12gb will do for now. I thought you were referring pixel size for print. I could not figure out what you meant.

Thanks for sharing your work flow. I really appreciate that! It helps me to see different effects on the picture.

Thanks Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Hi everyone, what a creative people around here. You are giving me some great ideas what to to with the picture. Thank you for sharing your steps to get the final product.

Please keep them coming. It's fun to see what you can do. Please do not limit yourself to my original idea. I can see there is so much that can be done with the picture.

Thanks Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Patron

No restrictions, Yeee!!! Haaaa!!

I still tried to remain true to the subject...

Both the Fractalius and Snap Art were done with multiple runs, different settings, on separate layers then combined using different Modes and opacities...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nova_Fractalius.jpg (195.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Nova_SnapArt.jpg (197.9 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art