RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Help me make a gift..

Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Thumbs up Help me make a gift..

Hi guys, I would like to make a present for my wife. She is great horse lover and as you can imagine first place in her life is her horse.

I am thinking about making larger print something like 30x40 possibly on canvas. I would like to make it almost like a painting but not all the way. I should be something on the edge between photograph and painting.

I really like look of this picture and that is what I am looking for.

Picture link

It has the detail of photograph but enough of painting like qualities to blend with painted background.

I have never tried anything like that and I would love to do that for her. I think it would be great gift. I am hoping you can give me advice and guidance to achieve this look.

Also any tutorial and relevant source that would help would be greatly appreciated. I love to learn new things. I do not want you to the work for me. I want to do it myself I just need help from expert. I am sure they are plenty around here willing to help.

I have uploaded one picture to practice on. Feel free to use it if you want to experiment or show me how it could look like if done correctly.

No need to go all the way to print quality but I would like to see how close we can get to image above and what steps need to be done. Again, no need to spend hours on this unless you want to use for your portfolio to show PS skills. Feel free to do so. Model is a little bit hairy but it ok.. :-)

Anyone up for a challenge? I really want good quality and I am ready to spend hours to get it right and perfect. I do not want to rely on action script.

I will post my progress for critique and suggestions for improvement.

Here are images in different formats in its original state. I also included RAW and DNG files as I thing it might also help to bring best out of the picture.

JPG file
ZIP file with Raw file, DNG file and JPG file

Thanks for your help! Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Patron

Re: Help me make a gift..

OK Charles. How about some fake smudge blends with bilateral simplication for background aniso.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3...vapainting.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
OK Charles. How about some fake smudge blends with bilateral simplication for background aniso.
Oh boy, I guess I have another language to learn besides English. You have to go easy on me here. ;-)

Lyle, thanks for the first shot at it. I will definitely have to translate you suggestion for myself first. LOL

Interesting approach but not exactly what I am after. What I want to achieve is to have people looking at the picture and guessing if that is panting or photograph. I would even go further and have them think it is photograph with soft feel to it like painting.

Your technique made the picture saturated a lot with some odd colors. (purple, blue and red). Really unnatural colors. This is not critique just observation. Please understand that I am not familiar with photo to painting techniques and therefore I might be looking at it more as a photographer rather than artist. That is why I am here to get some advice.

I would like to stay within existing colors on the horse and possibly change background to compliment horses colors and eliminate some other colors like blue and green from the background in this case.

I do not know if that makes sense. English is my secondary language so I might not be explaining myself well.

When I saw this picture of mine I was wondering myself if that was photograph or painting.

I do not know if that is just softness of the picture, light or just content of the picture.

Here is another example of the look I am after and what is my inspiration for this print. This is not my picture. Is that something really hard to replicate? It just feels soft with plenty of detail. Obviously original background is replaced with more painted like background. I don't mind background looking more like painting. I actually like it but I would love to have horse to be almost like photograph.

I will start with masking out background and shaving the horse (that hair on the chin and nose looks bad.) LOL That will have to done either way.

I look forward seeing more.. Thanks Charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 PM

Hey Charles which graphic's program are you using? How much experience do you have?

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Patron

Not that good at surreal look that I think you are after. Can do so, but very time consuming for a filter guy like me. Hope you don't mind a FotoSketcher/Paint Engine collaboration for this watercolor instead.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3...vapainting.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_cz View Post
Hi guys, I would like to make a present for my wife. I am thinking about making larger print something like 30x40 possibly on canvas.

I do not want to rely on action script.

Thanks for your help! Charles
I understand your penchant for doing it yourself but there are some great programs available that will accomplish most of what you want with just a little further refining either pre and/or post in Photoshop...

One of the most versatile, fast, accurate, convenient, and easy to use is FotoSketcher...

this was made with a couple passes then the resulting images blended and masked in Photoshop (higher res version here)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nova_Painting_RTP-OB.jpg (198.5 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 AM

Hi - If your program has a smudge tool you could try smudge painting. It can take a while to get the hang of it but once you do it can turn out very nicely if you have the time. Although I don't know how long it would take to work on a really large picture. I like to do a surface blur first, sometimes that will give you the look you want without doing much else. After that it is just a matter of carfully bluring with small strokes and doing hightlights with dodge setting and shadows with burn setting. There's no formula for the brush settings, every picture is different.

Here is a small size smudge painting of the horse to give you an idea of how it could look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nova_Painting RP.jpg (92.5 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Here are a couple interpretations where the horse remains photographic while the BG is made to look 'painterly.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP horse painted.jpg (185.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg RP horse painted bg grayscale.jpg (179.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg RP horse painted bg diagonal strokes.jpg (198.0 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 AM

Hi guys, I am using Photoshop. I'll be happy to try any recommended filter or program if it can give me what I want or get me closer so I can finish in PS.

I will respond more to your posts later when I get back from work.

Lyle, of course I do not mind. You guys can try different things.

Joe, I use Photoshop and still learning. I think I've got covered all basics and I've got comfortable with PS and Wacom tablet.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM

I think Charles the biggest problems will be the size of the picture if you want to print it at 30'X40' and changing the background because of the hair.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nova_Painting.jpg (99.3 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art