RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Tutorial: Texturizer Filter tricks

Old 07-12-2002, 09:06 PM

Tutorial: Texturizer Filter tricks

I’ll bet you’ve probably used the Texturizer filter to add a “canvas” or “burlap” look to an image. I’ll bet you’ve even duplicated an “artsy-looking” layer, applied the Emboss filter to and changed the blend mode of the embossed layer to Overlay to give an image even more depth.

Today, while reading through Master Photoshop 5.5 Visually,Ken Milburn, IDG Books, 2000, I ran across a very interesting application of the Texturizer feature that generates some pretty artsy looking results. This technique may well be one you've not seen before. It was definitely new to me.

1. Open your target image, duplicate it, name the duplicate "Dry Brush" and, if more than one layer, flatten it.

2. Run the Dry Brush filter against the "Dry Brush" image. Go for a lot of texture. Don’t worry if the image looks ugly after the filter runs.

3. Important:Convert the duplicated image to Grayscale (IMAGE/ADJUST/GRAYSCALE).

4. Save the “Dry Brush” grayscale image to a convenient location.

5. Go back to the original target image you want to "arty up."

6. Run the Texturizer filter.

7. Texture dropdown box: Choose the Load Texture option, navigate to the “Dry Brush” grayscale image just created, and load it.

8. Important: Be sure the Scaling value (for now) is set to 100%.

9. Relief and Light Direction: Experiment.

Note: The image you see in the “preview thumbnail” may not look like exactly like the final result.

11. Click OK. Instant super texture that coincides to your original image w/o all the color distortion and discoloration that native filters seem conjure up.

Too much texture?
Don’t forget the FADE command to tone down the results.

Want a do-over?
1. CTRL+Z to undo.

2. ALT+ CTRL + F. This will invoke the last filter executed (in this case, Texturizer). If that filter had a dialog box, the dialog box will be displayed with the last used settings in tact, including the Grayscale Texture file specified. Tweek the other parameters and try again.

==============

Attached is a before/after using the Dry Brush filter to generate the texturized grayscale file. Be sure to view at the largest size to better see the texture effect.

==============
Variations:

Use a Scaling value NOT EQUAL to 100% (see step 8):
If you use a value not equal to 100%, the “texture” is offset (more or less) relative to the original image. This may (or may not) be desirable. Try 25% and 200% to see what I mean.

Why not apply multiple texture maps? (see steps 2-4).
Why stop with one filter? Try creating several grayscale texture files (Fresco? Watercolor? Waterpaper? Dry Brush?). Repeat steps 6-9 for as many texture files as you’d like to apply. Caution: The point of diminishing returns is quickly reached.

Use a texture map based on a DIFFERENT image!
Want to REALLY go off the end? Create and apply a grayscale texture file created from an image different from the image to which it will be applied. Your mileage will definitely vary if you take this route!

Texturizer is only the Beginning!
Other Filters where grayscale texture maps can be loaded:
* Artistic > Rough Pastels
* Artistic > Underpainting
* Distort > Glass
* Sketch > Conté Crayon

Keep Having Fun!

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texturizer-zach.jpg (63.5 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-14-2002 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2002, 09:15 PM

Another Example using Texturizer filter

My mother, who celebrated the 53rd anniversary of her 29th birthday in April, 2002, would be very upset with me if she knew I used her image as an example here, but I thought the better good would be served by using it to further illustrate the possibilities of this technique. Be sure that's engraved on my headstone if she ever finds out, OK?

This time I applied two different grayscale texture files, one created using the Watercolor filter, the other with Dry Brush. I Faded the Dry Brush application by about 50%.

Again, view the attachment at the largest size possible. I just checked and the uploaded "after" image looks a lot more grainy than the texturized image from which it was spawned, but you get the idea, right?

Cheers!

~DannyR~

P.S. Mom, I love you no matter what. The wrinkles are part of who you are. You've earned them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texturizer-mom.jpg (68.4 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2002, 09:53 PM

I think both techniques are really cool but I think the first one is my favorite.
Even though your Mom will probably never know she is posted here, I think she looks like a very lovely lady with a beautiful smile. So if she ever finds out, you tell her I said that.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2002, 01:32 AM

Danny, just so I'm clear on this... The only thing that you did to the photos was run the texturizer filter with your specially created "texture files", right? Any other filters run on the photo before applying texture?

BTW, I did something similar in my Kinkade entry - but just with the layer I painted the flowers on. I wanted to make them look like they were popping from the page, so I made a texture file from just that layer. Obviously, when applied at 100%, it matched the location of the flowers perfectly. So, don't just think of this as a technique to apply to an entire image. It can be used selectively as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2002, 06:08 AM

DJ:

You're very kind... I'll tell her you what you said w/o telling her "where" you saw the pic!

----------
Jeanie:

You are correct. No other filters were run against the target image beforehand. Just made a copy of the unchanged target image, ran "arty" filter(s) of choice against copy (copies), saved as grayscale and applied to original image as texture via one or more Texturizer steps.

RE: Doesn't have to be applied to just a flattened image
100% right again.

For even more flexibility one could certainly apply this method using selected layer(s) vs. the entire image. Hadn't thought of that and I'm glad you brought it up. Just adds another dimension of possibilities.

Technical note: Under PS 5.5 (and perhaps other versions) images to be loaded by the Texturizer filter need to have been flattened before saving.

You did something similar in the Kinkade challenge
I obviously missed that one by a mile or more!

(For those who may have missed it, click HERE to see the Photo-Art Challenge #3 entry and description to which Jeanie refers. Wonderful stuff, BTW.)

Why I think this method is especially cool
Though my mother might not agree , something I find appealing is its potential use against "human" subjects.

As you know many (so-called) Photo-to-art techniques, such as an application of Smart Blur / Edge Only on top of a layer against which the Underpainting filter has been applied, might look moderately OK on a busy field of flowers. Apply the same method to a human portrait and 99 times out of 100 the results (to me) will look pretty awful.

Having something other than the popular "pencil sketch" method for people shots is a bonus for the mouse-bound artistically challenged (like me)!

Appreciated you asking for clarification. Gave me reason, once again, to play and pontificate! LOL.

--------------

Here's an image of Michael Jordan "texturized" onto a pretty background.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texturizer-mj.jpg (55.4 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-13-2002 at 06:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2002, 08:53 AM

Hi Danny

The results you are getting from these techniques are really interesting. I am going to try these as soon as I get some time. Really running right now.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2002, 03:13 PM

Oh, now that's really cool. I could even tell it was Michael Jordan before I read it. That technique is real impressive.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art