RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Non-tut on Painting

Old 07-19-2002, 10:18 AM

Bad Hair Day

I'm sure the women have been there, a bad hair day. Oh dam, I can't do a thing with it. What's a girl to do.
Well, I have em' too. The difference is, this won't be solved in 30 min. I'm not done with the face, but thought I could work on the hair some. Because of the depth of shades, I'm going to use 3-4 layers, and 2-3 programs, as none is giving me just what I want. I can't tell anyone how to paint or stroke, just the little I know about technique. Although I can't crawl inside anyones head to see what they can see and do, I do think that a person with good to very good skills in a high end graphics prog. could do this kind of picture with a resonable amount of effort. This could be done in PSP, PS, Painter, Deep Paint, PhotoImpact, Corel, etc.
This hair thing is going to haunt me the rest of this day, at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kate2 cap5.jpg (97.3 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 12:09 PM

Magnificent progress from the original photo, Greg. The progressive steps are facinating to me. Keep 'em coming.

RE: Kate and a bad hair day?
Doesn't seem possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 07:17 PM

the cosmotologist

Did some work on lips and chin. Face is coming along nicely. Workin the hair as best I can. My hand doesn't like certain movements, so it's sometimes difficult to get the flow right. I'm using Painter 6 on the hair now, cause I have some hair sets installed, in fact I have one just for Ms. Beckinsale. It has a texture in it and I think it chooses a brush. (don't ask me how it works) As far as Painter brushes, just dive in and practice on adjusting the 5000 settings included. The Brush set I'm using has two color ability, so it's perfect for doing hair. I think this can be done in vs. 7 too. Not in PS, or PSP. So with these programs, you would have to work harder to acceive the effect. Almost looks like we're getting somewhere.
Till next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kate2 cap6.jpg (95.7 KB, 130 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 08:31 PM

hehe - I see after much breast beating you have nailed the hair, so to speak. Really is a good job fugitive and the impression of hair strands is greater than the detail. Gotta be chuffed so far
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Needham
hehe - I see after much breast beating you have nailed the hair, so to speak. Really is a good job fugitive and the impression of hair strands is greater than the detail. Gotta be chuffed so far
I don't know CHUFFED. ?

Thanks Mike.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 03:16 AM

oh, what to wear

So now, what is she going to wear? I'm trying something on the sweater, a background I made for a ballet pic. I'll have to shade it and such. I don't know if the hair will ever come together, should I stop? You tell me. Otherwise, I'll mess with the hair for the next day or two. Mostly fine tuning from here on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kate2 cap7.jpg (94.1 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by fugitive; 07-21-2002 at 02:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 02:41 PM

Hi Fug

Thats a beauty.. I really think your technique is interesting. Thanks for sharing the steps that you use. Rats...guess I am going to have to get a tablet..(A southpaw using a right handed mouse just isn't capable of the brush control that is required for this type of work.)

Keep it up
Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 02:50 PM

Jerry: It's the difference between partial control, and total control. Ever try to ride a motorcycle with a cast on your leg or arm? Costco sells the Graphire2 for $80.
Wacom sell reconditioned units on their site. ebay has some most of the time, bid carefully.

Thanks for your comp.
greg

Last edited by fugitive; 07-21-2002 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 07:18 PM

Greg, just want you to know that I have been following your progress on this pic. Just beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing your method, you do a wonderful job. Just want you to know I have learned a thing or two from you Thank you. This is better than a tut. Hope you share more

Wanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2002, 07:41 PM

Wanda

Thank You Wanda. Danny has been bugging me to do one, but I don't know how, so I did the only thing I could, and that was this very informal talk, in steps, which is something I could follow. I have read hundreds of tuts, and they don't quite reach my brain, as a rule.
Good thing you didn't give up Dan.
greg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art