Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Total Training

Old 07-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Total Training

Has anyone used the Photoshop 6 (Deke McClellan) training produced by Total Training?

Would appreciate any feedback...Thanks!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 02:09 PM
No I haven't because it was a bit pricey for me but I have followed quite a few Qucik Time tutorials by Deke and he's really good. If you can afford the total training I would say it can only help you. Now whether that help is worth the amount you have to pay, I can't say other than to say he knows what he's doing and has an entertaining way of getting it across to you. Sorry I can't be more help to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Our instructor used it quite a bit in college. It's probably the best self-paced way to learn Photoshop. Deke is very good at what he does, both with Photoshop and the video usage. Good stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 02:38 PM
Thumbs down

I found the series to be exceptionally informative and useful. (I viewed the Photoshop 5.0 version.) Since PS is such a visual product, seeing it presented visually (for me) is a great way to learn. If you back that up with a good PS book or two (Deke's Photoshop Bible series includes EVERYTHING presented in the video series + a LOT more.)

I've seen several "general" PS skills video series: IMHO Dekes is head and shoulders better than the rest. A series I wouldn't recommend is anything by Scott Kelby. On the otherhand, Ben Willmore tapes are very, very good too. They cover and go into more detail on advanced topics than Deke does.

Don't know if you're into eBay or not, but the Totol Photoshop set I viewed came as a result of winning an auction. Watched the videos 3-4 times and resold them. It was kind of like renting - and very cost effective. This series shows up from time to time on eBay. Here's a link to a
recent auction as an example.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 03:22 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I don't remember the title of the video I borrowed from the library, but it was one of Deke's. This proved to be an excellent way of learning for me, and I think he did an excellent job in the video. If the price of the videos is problematic, a trip to the local library might produce the video for you. It's certainly worth a try.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi all!

I have the 5.5 Total Training videos and have found them extremly valuable. I have a vcr set up next to my computer and it works out great. Although we are now on to PS 7 80% of the material is still very much useful. Deke does a great job of explaining the technics. I am planning to buy the PS7.0 dvd soon. I'll try a reveiw when I get it.

PS. My 5.5 videos are for sale. Make me an offer.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art