RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

bUZZ 2 and Windows 7

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM

bUZZ 2 and Windows 7

I installed Buzz Pro 2 on 64 bit Windows 7 running 32 bit Photoshop CS5. I'm running other 32 bit plugins on this platform. When I try to run and operation in Buzz, it says there is not enough memory and asks if I want to proceed. Then a progress bar comes up that's there a long time. When it's done, it says it can't write the dat file.

This is a legal copy that I purchased from fo2pix on a cd. I've installed it before when I had earlier versions of Windows and Photoshop, and it always ran fine.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know of a fix?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Re: bUZZ 2 and Windows 7

I have not crossed this bridge so I cannot comment on debugging, but here's a potential workaround if you are unable to get around the symptoms you reported...

If you're using Buzz primarily for the "simplifier" effect, consider installing a demo of the reasonably priced Topaz Simplifier plugin. (Surf the web for discount codes if you decide to buy it.) It has a "BuzzSim" preset that IMO does a great job mimicing Buzz in this regard. I'm pretty sure this plugin is 32 and 64 bit compatible, plus it's supported.

Good luck on the debugging...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 03:39 PM

not sure if this is any help to you, it was googled

http://www.amershamphotosoc.com/mess...php?f=12&t=266
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms View Post

Very good find, Palms... Well done. Google is your friend.

I'd lost track of Buzz versions. Perhaps v3 will be more cooperative. Nice to have alternatives.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms View Post

Thanks, Palms. Good find. I went through their procedure and then was reminded of my second problem, which is a progress bar and no progress. And I think that at this point I have to give up. I'm not in good health anymore, and fooling around with computer problems for too long just wears me down.

Danny, I already have Topaz Simplify. Just got it a few days ago. This is actually what got me interested in loading buZZ again. I thought I would check out the difference. I like Simplify, btw. Wonderful program. Good price.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Hey Andrew, good to see you again!

The problem with buZZ is, it's not being developed anymore and technology has moved on, making it difficult to use on modern OSs.

I'm not sure how the folks at the link above are distributing this; I never heard that it was "set free" by the developer. I have a review copy of buZZ.X for Mac but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it "out there" without permission.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Hey Andrew, good to see you again!

The problem with buZZ is, it's not being developed anymore and technology has moved on, making it difficult to use on modern OSs.

I'm not sure how the folks at the link above are distributing this; I never heard that it was "set free" by the developer. I have a review copy of buZZ.X for Mac but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it "out there" without permission.
I was never thrilled with the small preview screen anyway.

BTW, you still using Canvas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
BTW, you still using Canvas?
I am; I just used it again for my 5th calendar and still use it for web graphics (headers and such) on my site, and for my ezines. I can use plug-ins in Photoshop CS 5.5 and drag the results into Canvas layouts. Any vector and layout work I do in Canvas; I detest Illustrator and don't much like InDesign either. My workflow is to export Canvas publication layouts to uncompressed PDFs and then use Acrobat Pro for optimized output.

With the coming of OSX Lion and its dropping support for PPC apps, that presents a bit of a problem with Canvas (not to mention I also still use Adobe GoLive CS2...). In my and many others' opinions, nothing has come along to adequately replace either of these apps' ease-of-use, so I remain at Snow Leopard (though I do have Lion and a SL Server VM set up on an external hard drive.

Canvas 12 is occasionally updated for Windows, so that remains an option. I also have every other DTP tool should I wish to migrate to a different one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2011, 01:07 AM

Some of us were surprised to see Canvas 12. We thought they would stop with 11. It's too bad Canvas didn't get more traction in the market place. It has some exceptional qualities.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Patron

Yes, and it's the only truly integrated graphics app (ie, you can edit images, draw vectors, create a document layout, etc. on the same page, plus export as bitmap, PDF or HTML, plus many others). No other developer besides the late Deneba ever grokked the concept! So instead to this day we have various apps, large and small, that are limited to doing a particular type of task, or "suites" (in Adobe's case, actually separately-acquired apps in adjoining rooms that can share data, not a true presidential suite). Very few have ever experienced the joy of doing all your work on one page in a single app! (Or course multiple pages are supported.)

See my old "Canvangelist" website for examples.

Now ACDSee owns Canvas and does pretty much nothing with it, choosing instead to remain in the crowded DAM space and are now even releasing silly little utility apps that merely add clutter to an already crowded marketplace for that sort of thing. Canvas users have begged them to sell Canvas off to another developer, to no avail. IMO it would actually be easier for an experienced developer to use modern programming to create something similar from scratch. Canvas X was last developed in 2005, so no point throwing band-aids onto it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art