Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

My first Painter 7 painting

Old 08-12-2002, 11:39 PM
Re: Another book?

Originally posted by pstewart
Fugitive, thanks for the WOW book tip for Painter. But I haven't even made it through HALF of the manual that comes with the program...I still don't even know what it CAN do let alone learn advanced techniques. I feel overwhelmed by this program, and wish I knew enough to start learning, if you know what I mean. How long did it take you to get comfortable with Painter?

I haven't yet! I got Painter last yr some time. Since there are easier proggies for photo or effects or editing, I only use painter for it's fabulous brushes. I don't even know that this would be popular with folks on art you distribute, but it sure looks good on screen. I like to get funky with the texture brushes, i.e. Impasto, the WC is good too. If there is anything I can help you with, feel free to PM or email me.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 08-13-2002 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2002, 04:04 PM
DJ- That is really a great picture (first try or not)!! Don't try too hard to figure it out, you don't want to loose anything along the way. Perhaps this is your "style".

Last edited by Vikki; 08-13-2002 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Awesome image, DJ. As others have already stated I expected far less and was blown away when I saw the end result. I'm really impressed. You clearly have talent and experience with traditional media. Would love to see more of your work.

FYI... to all, there is online training available for Painter 7 at: for $20 per course for 6 weeks of instruction. The initial class is taught by Christine Frey who was an excellent instructor. They also over special classes in watercolor, pastel brushes etc.

There is also another good set of tutorials etc at:

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
W-W-W-Wow Debbie! I haven't been online much the past couple of days, and I just saw this thread. Excellent work. I didn't think you had that in you, but now that I've read all the posts, I seem to remember a challenge (Halloween?) where you said you used a painting you did a few years ago. Is that right, or am I losing it? Anyhow, you seem to surprise me fairly often. That's a great piece.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Thank you for those inspiring words. I think you're right. Don't analyze just do and things will work out in the end. I tend to be a perfectionist and analysis tends to be critical sometimes. I know what I want but most cases I end up settling for what I got. Yes, I suspect that is my style.

Thanks for the great praise and the cool links. I found the Pixelalley one but the online course is a new one on me. Looks great. I have done things in alot of different art media and did some airbrushing for awhile before I discovered Photoshop. I've always loved art and had an eye for it but never felt I was as good as I wanted to be. And usually inspriation came very sporatically.

Thanks buddy. You're always there to give me an encouraging word. Yes, you did remember right. I did do a pumpkin Manipulation challenge using an airbrush painting I had done years ago for a Halloween haunted house sign. I also played around with a drawing of my son as a child looking through a concrete bridge. I added some PS artistic filters to it and uploaded it in my Gallery area. This one was totally done in digital media, no real paintings or images used. I'm just used to seeing physical paint on my brush I guess.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art