RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Hello Everyone,

I am learning digital painting and I'm interested in fantasy photo art. I would like to produce similar fantasy photo arts like please see link below.

http://www.images-n-stuff.com/Fairie...yPhotoArt.html

My main questions are the fairy dresses and wings. Did they use a software? or some sort of brushes for the dresses and wings? How did they get those results? I've google but just could not find anything about the fairy dresses.

I have Photoshop CS5-1 and Corel Painter 11.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks


helen
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 AM
kav kav is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 574
Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Some of the small details like the bubbles and sparkly things might be brushes. The backgrounds are probably mostly pre- fabricated with photos/painting work. They have custom adjustment, and this person might have a library of components. The dresses look hand drawn. How are you at drawing fabrics? That is probably one of the more difficult parts. If this person does it all the time, they've probably got it down to a science.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Some of the small details like the bubbles and sparkly things might be brushes. The backgrounds are probably mostly pre- fabricated with photos/painting work. They have custom adjustment, and this person might have a library of components. The dresses look hand drawn. How are you at drawing fabrics? That is probably one of the more difficult parts. If this person does it all the time, they've probably got it down to a science.
Thank you Kav for your reply appreciate it. For the bubbles and sparkly I can use corel painter's F-X brushes it's had great bubbles variant, sparkly and furry dust the background can be sorted also my main concern was the fan art clothes I'm not good at drawing clothes but I can learn, I am practicing with corel painter at the moment I shall look for some drawing tutorials on clothing both in Photoshop and Corel painter and I agree it will be the most difficult part to tackle.

I have download some fairy clothes which I can paint then I need to figure out how to have them fitted on the person in what ever position they are sitting the standing up ones perhaps might be easier Photoshop can handle those type of manipulation 'fitting clothes on a person etc' the way I see it if they managed to achieve their results perhaps I can too it's a matter of patience, learning and practicing I shall look around in forum for artists that does them sort of painting and manipulations perhaps I can learn a few tips and trick from them lol.

I have done some photo manipulation and painting already please see example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1472188...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1472188...n/photostream/

regards



helen
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 07-12-2012, 02:43 AM
kav kav is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 574
Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post

I have download some fairy clothes which I can paint then I need to figure out how to have them fitted on the person in what ever position they are sitting the standing up ones perhaps might be easier Photoshop can handle those type of manipulation 'fitting clothes on a person etc' the way I see it if they managed to achieve their results perhaps I can too it's a matter of patience, learning and practicing I shall look around in forum for artists that does them sort of painting and manipulations perhaps I can learn a few tips and trick from them lol.

regards



helen

It sounds like you have part of this under control. Clothing photos are a good place to start. Given mismatched perspectives and things, you may have to go from scratch. These have bits of shading and color correction on the children too. They most likely do have some pre-fabricated elements to keep the process moving + lots of practice. I would suggest that you start by blocking out the outline of the clothing in perspective. If you like this can done via vector drawing in something like illustrator or manga studio allowing you to grab the paths to make your selections pretty easily. You should then just fill it with your base color and render highlights/shadows from there via separate brushes. These may not be highly textured. It's probably implied to some degree. It's kind of what I see in them though. Bits of photo libraries may be pulled for some elements that are time consuming to draw. Some look more like photo textures than others, but it's hard to tell at this resolution. I'd be tempted to make some of these elements in 3d via things like paint effects and foliage plugins. I can even think of ways to do many backgrounds like this in something free like Blender. You could get some nice quality, but even then it takes some post work to keep things from looking too rendered when using stock shaders, low poly counts, and when you don't want to spend hours lighting the shot. Zooming in on them I can see parts where the masking and composites aren't just right, but I still see the work of a person that has their system down to a point where they can reliably turn out a design.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Thumbs up Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
It sounds like you have part of this under control. Clothing photos are a good place to start. Given mismatched perspectives and things, you may have to go from scratch. These have bits of shading and color correction on the children too. They most likely do have some pre-fabricated elements to keep the process moving + lots of practice. I would suggest that you start by blocking out the outline of the clothing in perspective. If you like this can done via vector drawing in something like illustrator or manga studio allowing you to grab the paths to make your selections pretty easily. You should then just fill it with your base color and render highlights/shadows from there via separate brushes. These may not be highly textured. It's probably implied to some degree. It's kind of what I see in them though. Bits of photo libraries may be pulled for some elements that are time consuming to draw. Some look more like photo textures than others, but it's hard to tell at this resolution. I'd be tempted to make some of these elements in 3d via things like paint effects and foliage plugins. I can even think of ways to do many backgrounds like this in something free like Blender. You could get some nice quality, but even then it takes some post work to keep things from looking too rendered when using stock shaders, low poly counts, and when you don't want to spend hours lighting the shot. Zooming in on them I can see parts where the masking and composites aren't just right, but I still see the work of a person that has their system down to a point where they can reliably turn out a design.
Great advices I have Adobe Illustrator CS5 but I shall check out on Manga Studio and some other 3D software for me it's just the clothes that I am curious about how it was achieved the background is far more easier to achieve I have bought some digital background software.

Oh! well back to the drawing board.

Thanks


helen
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM
0lBaldy's Avatar
0lBaldy 0lBaldy is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,580
Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

It looks like they have a gallery of stock images of costumes and costume pieces already cutout along with some accessories (Tiaras, wands, swords hats, bracelets, wings, etc), and probably a bunch of Wing, Sparkle, Glitter, Bubble/Orb Brushes.. all of which could be freetransformed onto a subject..

I hesitate to mention to someone that I highly respect and who does such magnificent work here at RetouchPRO ... that it is just a matter of collecting all the components... then Layering, masking and blending them together as a seamless composite with the properly cutout pose of your subject.. then a bit of final color correcting and maybe some smudging as needed and voilà tis fini...

I did picture searches using Fairies, Fairy, Sim Fairies, 3d Fairy ... using the added words such as Clothing, collection, Dress, Skirt, Sitting, Standing, Lying, Kneeling... at Google Image Search, Flickr, Photobucket, Deviant Art, and Picasa and got lots of great samples and ideas... then realized that all I needed to search for was different Ballerina Costumes or Ballerina pictures for the Fairy look..

Back in 2009 Palms had a 'Castle Fantasy Land' sort of challenge and gave a list of Tutorials and brush resources that might be applicable to your quest. Here are the Tutorials 22 Fantasy Tutorials and 125 Brushes

Also there are these:

Mama Shan's Faery Photoshop Brushes video

(download the (free) brushes here)

And more brushes:

Fairy Brushes on deviant art

Fantasy Brushes

Tutorial: Painting Fairy Portraits with Corel Painter

Two pages of wings

Good Luck and I can't wait to see some of your projects.....

Hope you post some soon!!
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Scatterbrained Scatterbrained is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Suffolk, Va
Posts: 38
Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
It looks like they have a gallery of stock images of costumes and costume pieces already cutout along with some accessories (Tiaras, wands, swords hats, bracelets, wings, etc), and probably a bunch of Wing, Sparkle, Glitter, Bubble/Orb Brushes.. all of which could be freetransformed onto a subject..

I hesitate to mention to someone that I highly respect and who does such magnificent work here at RetouchPRO ... that it is just a matter of collecting all the components... then Layering, masking and blending them together as a seamless composite with the properly cutout pose of your subject.. then a bit of final color correcting and maybe some smudging as needed and voilà tis fini...

I did picture searches using Fairies, Fairy, Sim Fairies, 3d Fairy ... using the added words such as Clothing, collection, Dress, Skirt, Sitting, Standing, Lying, Kneeling... at Google Image Search, Flickr, Photobucket, Deviant Art, and Picasa and got lots of great samples and ideas... then realized that all I needed to search for was different Ballerina Costumes or Ballerina pictures for the Fairy look..

Back in 2009 Palms had a 'Castle Fantasy Land' sort of challenge and gave a list of Tutorials and brush resources that might be applicable to your quest. Here are the Tutorials 22 Fantasy Tutorials and 125 Brushes

Also there are these:

Mama Shan's Faery Photoshop Brushes video

(download the (free) brushes here)

And more brushes:

Fairy Brushes on deviant art

Fantasy Brushes

Tutorial: Painting Fairy Portraits with Corel Painter

Two pages of wings

Good Luck and I can't wait to see some of your projects.....

Hope you post some soon!!
I've been peeking in on this thread to see what others have to say, and I must say you have provided and awesome resource here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
kav kav is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 574
Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Many of those references are kind of fun, but I've noticed that they are reliant on having an appropriate starting point for the clothing. While you can get some kind of reference for wrinkles and details from whatever the subject is wearing, you will most likely need to do some painting work. It's not as simple as a generic stock library if you want the perspective and scale to match. If you're only using it for a rough basis, then I kind of think a rough color fill + reference works just as well. The one thing you might gain from trying to comp this is a bit of realistic texture and fine detail, but it's so easy to lose that when warping things around to match the photo.
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 07-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Nasturtium's Avatar
Nasturtium Nasturtium is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,123
Blog Entries: 34
Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

I see that you're on Flickr. You might want to join the 'It's an Addiction' group where we share Photoshop tutorials.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 AM
sergio2263's Avatar
sergio2263 sergio2263 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 612
Thumbs up Re: Fantasy Art & Fairies how

Thank you so much everyone for your replies and especially to Olbaldy for his times and wealth of advices, links to brushes, websites etc it is much appreciated. For the fairy clothes I am looking closely at the fan art website fairy clothing to see and understand how they achieved their results.

I will certainly show any of the art work I've done and hopefully can give help and advice of how I've achieved my results.


Helen

Last edited by sergio2263; 07-13-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Art Retouching sell? YoungRetoucher Photo Compositing 1 05-23-2012 12:24 PM
URBAN 2011 - Int'l photo and digital art contest dotART Salon 4 04-26-2011 04:24 AM
The Language of Art and Music: Call 4 Applications icd press Events 0 01-14-2011 09:04 AM
International Art Contest AgoraGallery Events 0 12-21-2010 06:38 AM
Christmas Art! jill3131 Photo-Based Art 4 12-12-2010 02:11 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved