RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Which Wacom tablet to buy?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 AM

Which Wacom tablet to buy?

Hey all!
I am starting to explore digital art. I have been doing 2D visual arts (sketching, painting) for a while now, and want to start digital art.

I'm looking at the Bamboo Connect, Splash and Capture. They all seem to have the same specs, same active area, but I don't see why the Connect is a little more expensive.

Do you know what the differences between these three models?

Also, is it worth a little more than double the price to get the Bamboo Create for a little more active area space? (8.5x5.4" vs 5.8x3.6") plus the pen eraser? I the pen eraser tool seems pretty cool and handy in theory, but is it really neccessary. ( I know it would be nice to have that pressure- sensitive eraser)

Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Re: Which Wacom tablet to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackichan111 View Post
Hey all!
I am starting to explore digital art. I have been doing 2D visual arts (sketching, painting) for a while now, and want to start digital art.

I'm looking at the Bamboo Connect, Splash and Capture. They all seem to have the same specs, same active area, but I don't see why the Connect is a little more expensive.

Do you know what the differences between these three models?

Also, is it worth a little more than double the price to get the Bamboo Create for a little more active area space? (8.5x5.4" vs 5.8x3.6") plus the pen eraser? I the pen eraser tool seems pretty cool and handy in theory, but is it really neccessary. ( I know it would be nice to have that pressure- sensitive eraser)

Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions!
The one thing you need to look in a tablet is "comfortability", tablets don't make better artists they just make your life easier... Look the best you can afford, and have in mind the Nips, i mean if you can find them later without problem. It doesn't have to be expensive. Good luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM

I recently purchased a Wacom Intuos3 A5 extended and a Classic Pen Stylus
both purchased of fleebay, suits me fine.
I have a digitizer 2 A4 sitting here which I used up until recently,
and served me well, until I realised not all pens work with the same
tablet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 AM

Be careful with the intuos3 cords. If one breaks, it's $100 or so + shipping to repair, and it takes way too long (as in I'd personally just buy a new one rather than wait). If you look at the under side where the cord comes out, there's a point where it can pinch down there right where it exits the tablet. The surface can wear. If you make sure the stylus tips don't get sharp, this will help. I rotate them with pliers to even out wear and just replace them if it starts to become angular as that annoys me anyway. You can clean the surface with a soft cloth. Make sure it's not abrasive. The bigger sizes are easier to work with if you're used to traditional drawing. They allow you to move your shoulder for longer strokes so as not to change the angle of the pen so much. I find it awkward if the tablet elevation is too high. Forward/back becomes too awkward and quirky. Also take note that the older surfaces are much more slick, so you may have to get used to this. If you're pressing hard, it can slip at times. It takes some getting used to.

Hope my tips help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Be careful with the intuos3 cords. If one breaks, it's $100 or so + shipping to repair, and it takes way too long
Hope my tips help.
I repaired the cord itself. Cut and soldered. This is not a Space Shuttle.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dron58 View Post
I repaired the cord itself. Cut and soldered. This is not a Space Shuttle.
First off they pinch right where they come out of the tablet. That cannot be cut and soldered. It's too close. Beyond that this isn't a normal thing to expect of anyone. Only a fraction of owners would have the necessary tools or experience to do this. Even basic soldering skills are not a universal trait. It's simply a bad cable design, and they do a cheap ass job soldering it. All your statement suggests is that some people can work around this when it shouldn't be necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
First off they pinch right where they come out of the tablet. That cannot be cut and soldered.
it's true, there are some problems.
Now I have more a intuos 4 with mini usb cable, hassle-free and without soldering
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dron58 View Post
it's true, there are some problems.
Now I have more a intuos 4 with mini usb cable, hassle-free and without soldering
Yeah... unfortunately they went kind of cheap on the internal soldering job for that port though. Just be really careful as even though cables are interchangeable, it's quite delicate. With the intuos 5 the surface is now sealed to the tablet. I hate that as I always use the large version, and I typically go through 1 surface per year or so. With the change you have to send it back to wacom for resurfacing as opposed to buying a $20 overlay. Their repair service is pretty slow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 AM

@kav
I think our engineering refinements are very few people are interested

@jackichan111
Internet offers a variety of options.
If you're not a professional artist - take the cheapest (note the pen stitch).
in the pen should not be a battery. It had very heavy. only Wacom.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art