Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Misc: What's funny about Photo-art...

Old 09-20-2002, 06:52 PM
Hi Danny,
When I get to photograph children. I sometimes use both. My digital has a b/w setting, but sometimes the lighting just doesn't transfer right in the photo. So then I PS it.
With film, I get to shoot faster. My digital is older and doesn't have that capability. This gives me more shots, especially with little kids who are always changing facial expressions.

Mostly I;ve just been experimenting a lot with the different choices. I do use a lot of color, mostly digital, because the children look so beautiful. Then I play a lot. For b/w I prefer film, for color I can go both ways.
The best thing about the whole deal is Photoshop. I can enhance anything I want and get the look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 06:57 PM
Just looked at the plugin you listed Danny. Amazing how we can now add just the right amount of dirt to any photo!! I used to just roll my photos around in the mud.
Seriously though, nostalgia plays a big part in all these plugins and techniques mentioned in this thread. We like to go back to simpler times once in a while. I guess that's why those old cutouts where you can place your head on an old time picture are so popular. You rarely see any intergalactic ones, right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2002, 02:57 AM

Being fully entrenched in the 35mm world, the digital considerations make perfect sense (now), especially the memory savings of BW over color.

I appreciate you flipping on a couple light switches for me.

RE: "intergalactic cutouts" - rare
Yep...Extremely rare = potential business opportunity?
Probably NOT.

RE: Aging prints with a little heel action.
Just had a thought: If you ever develop a commercial "age your photos here" plugin, you could call it "Digital Mud." That's got a ring to it don't you think?

- - - - - - - - - -

O.K., here's an attempt to reel this conversation that I got off track back into the center lane...

After a couple hours of trying this and that, tweaking here and there, I'll smile at the final result. Then I'll turn on the original image for comparison purposes.

More times than not I find myself asking: "Why would anyone want to muck up this perfectly good picture, anyway?" to which I invariably answer, "Because I can?"

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art