RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Misc: What's funny about Photo-art...

Old 09-09-2002, 04:58 PM

Wink Misc: What's funny about Photo-art...

I was thinking about photo-based art the other day and how, as a traditional artist, my style was to make a drawing or painting look as realistic as possible - like a photo, and now digitally so many people, including myself, strive to create art from photos. That just struck me as interesting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 12:19 PM

C...

Your observation falls into the same ballbark as those who apply techniques and/or filters to recently taken photos in order to make them look like they've been in a steamer trunk in the attic for the past 50 years.

Go figure!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2002, 11:58 AM

Oh that's so funny. You're not the only one who's thought the same way. I took up airbrushing because I like how you could get a more realistic looking image than with bristle brush. Now, I'm trying to make photos look painted as well. And Danny is right too on how we now strive to make photos look old and tattered. What's the matter with us?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2002, 09:58 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
A woman has the right to change her mind. But I'm not sure about a man.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 01:37 PM

I recall seeing a tv show (TLC channel?) about the history of the printing press. It said that the Italic typestyle was one of the first ones used, because it represented the printed hand strokes well.

The lesson was that any newly introduced technology is first used to simulate the technology it is to replace or improve upon. Maybe this applies here? Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 01:48 PM

Bob - Ecxellent point! Another example would be when photography first became popular. Images often had hand painted areas in order to simulate the look of oil portraits. I have a few tintypes like this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 02:15 PM

I think we like the ability to manipulate. We want to put our mark on something. For me, sometimes I see a photo a took and now think of ways it could have been better. Other times I prefer an older look to a newer subject. It satisfies our playful side and gives us a different perspective. Now I often photograph children in b/w just to get that formal look back.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 02:28 PM

I think I've just come across the ultimate in this.

After scores of articles suggesting how to get an aged, weathered, sepia look to an (actually modern) image, today I came across an article telling you how to flatten the contrast, tweak the reds towards magenta and tweak the blues towards cyan in order to produce an image that looks like it's one of those faded and discoloured photos from the 1950s that we spend so much time tweaking in the Restoration challenges!

Now I've seen everything...

Leah
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 06:46 PM

To add to our amazement, ImageEnhancer plugin comes with a filter called cheap camera. It does just what you described.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 07:21 PM

Old Movie Plugin

Debbie:

RE: " Now I often photograph children in b/w just to get that formal look back."

Are you using film or digital?

While more times than not I prefer b/w over color for kid pix, I still shoot (35mm) color and use the various PS methods to convert to grayscale. Having color available for the entire image or selective digital application, to me, is ultimate flexibility.

Are you able to get results in native b/w that you're not able to get via digital means? (So there's no misinterpretation, I not tryin' to blast you here... Just curious, thinking I might learn something.)

BTW: Here's the best / most affordable ($20) plugin for making pictures look like they've taken a lot of abuse.

Have to admit it looks pretty suspicious when used on a pic of a couple teenagers with misc. body piercings and a 2002 Honda in the background!

Old Photo plugin.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art