RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Photo-art Applications and Plugins

Old 09-28-2002, 08:57 PM

GIMP is what i use for all of my photo art and other manipulations. Its not quite as powerful as photoshop, and finding out how to do things is a little harder due to lack of tutorials, but its free, and i enjoy the challenge. It can be found here
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2002, 10:53 PM

Darkstar,
You are the second member I know of to use the Gimp program. David Kendal also uses that with great results. If you have a good idea for a thread on the subject of Gimp or even a tutorial or some good tips you found along the way in your learning process that would be great. I would imagine there are alot more members out there that use Gimp because it is such an excellent image editing program and the value is unbeatable. But as you pointed out, there needs to be better resources for it. No pressure, just a thought.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Revival of the plug-ins!

I love my plug-ins and I just discovered this old thread! There are so many approaches one can take to photo art now. I recently put out an ezine issue dealing specificially with photo art (with emphasis on natural media applications).

An earlier issue focused on terrain-generating apps such as Terragen (mentioned above) and several others. It's also a fun challenge to take blah images and make art out of them using additional apps and techniques. I tend to start with Lucis Art, which offers various takes on otherworldly effects or provides just simple image "popping", and add other plug-ins from there.

GIMP has a few cool filters I haven't noticed elsewhere, and you can't beat the price!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels

GIMP has a few cool filters I haven't noticed elsewhere, and you can't beat the price!
and you can't beat the user's right to copy, share and modify this great program !!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 09:17 AM

free PhotoFiltre by Antonio Da Cruz : http://www.photofiltre.com/

" PhotoFiltre is a complete image retouching program. It allows you to do simple or advanced adjustments to an image and apply a vast range of filters on it. It is simple and intuitive to use, and has an easy learning curve. The toolbar, giving you access to the standard filters with just a few clicks, gives PhotoFiltre a robust look."
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 01:41 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Here are a screenshot and examples generated by PhotoFiltre. Fun stuff!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art