RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Hey, Photo-art newbie: Rate the Photo-art forum

View Poll Results: Those new (or fairly new) to the Photo Art Forum: How useful is THIS 'Best of' Forum?
Very, very valuable 79 49.69%
Very valuable / useful 52 32.70%
Valuable / useful 22 13.84%
Somewhat valuable / useful 2 1.26%
Limited value / usefulness 3 1.89%
Sorry, but I did not find it useful at all. 1 0.63%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2003, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengo
Will it make my teeth whiter?

yes....with the correct Curves or Levels adjustment in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2004, 09:38 PM

Danny, I find the usefulness limited (only for me), because, I don't have time to go through all of the posts. I use PSP8 and there is no way to tell, without looking at all posts, if there is anything pertaining to PSP8.

I enjoy looking at all the wonderful art work, but, it is frustrating not to be able to use the information. I feel the same way about the Retouching Forum, it has some really wonderful effects. However, not having PS and not knowing what to use 'instead', I can't make the transition.

Are there enough PSP users on this forum, to, warrant a PSP category ?

Joy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 01:18 AM

Joy:

First of all, Welcome! As one born and raised in SoCal myself (Culver City), I can say it's especially nice to have a fellow Californian join us.

RE: PSP-specific topics, techniques, etc.
As you have already discovered, most of threads posted and methods described in this and the other forums at RetouchPRO are Photoshop centric. That's sure not a knock on PaintShop Pro, which is a feature rich and, compared to Photoshop, very reasonably priced piece of software. (I have PSP 7 myself, but did not reinstall it after a hard drive crash last Fall.)

At the moment I believe one of our members who posts images fairly often (jch71566 [aka: Jeff]), uses PSP for some of his photo-art creations, so you might search on his posts. He's usually pretty good about leaving enough useful breadcrumbs to follow.

I just did three site searches using keywords "psp", "paintshop pro" and "paintshoppro" and got quite a few hits, so that might make your efforts a little easier. Click on "Search" in the gray bar at the top (choose advanced search) or just click HERE.

It sure can't hurt to start a PSP-only thread in the photo-art forum and see what happens (I'll do that in a couple minutes). Could be there are some lurkers out there itching for such an opportunity and that's all it will take for them to jump into the pool.

Thanks for waving the white flag. I hope it stirs some interest.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 12:11 PM

Hi Danny, I live in Long Beach (born and raised here).

Thank you, for the informative answer. I am looking forward to a PSP thread in the Photo art forum. I hope all PSPer's will jump on. I am looking forward to learning new effects. I also have a few painterly methods I could share.

Joy
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2004, 12:32 PM

Thumbs down

I find this sight fasinating. I know little or perhaps more accurately nothing about photo art as represented here. Over the years my interests have mostly been oriented towards photos in a jounalistic sense as recording something I saw. If you came to our house you would find a great percentage of the art we have collected is photo-realistic even in paintings.

I stumbled onto this forum and to this area of it and have watched with fasination for months now. I have even thrown a couple of my shots in to see what other folks would do with them.

I must say, what was done would never have been dreamed of by me even if I had the knowlege of the how. I say that in a delighted way. I didn't vote above 'cause I don't know what I think but I do know I keep coming back here like a penniless kid to to the candy counter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 07:10 PM

Thumbs down

Not sure exactly where I fall on the "newbie" curve, as I have been hacking away at PS6 for a couple years now. But I recently decided to get serious and learn to take full advantage of the program, and this forum has been a great place to start! I mostly lurk for now, but check in every day to see what's happening with you talented folks! Thanks!

- - - - - -

Welcome, Frannie...

Thanks for adding your comments. Look forward to having you post your first art one of these days!

~Danny~
- - - - - -

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-27-2004 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added my hello - djr
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2004, 06:54 AM

Hey my first post!!!!

Love the site, I have got most of my knowledge from this site.

A big thank you to all those that have posted anything and everything.

- - - - -

Reg:

I feel like I know you already through our PMs.

Great to have you join us and I'm happy to hear you're learning from this little gold mine of assorted knowledge nuggets.

~Danny~
- - - - - -

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-27-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2004, 08:57 AM

newbie or not newbie

My mother says I was born with a camera in my hands. BIG LAUGH. Just because I'm nearly totally lacking in the draw it with your hands category, photos have been a creative way of expressing myself. However, it is to the artsy side I'm really drawn. I've been playing around for a couple of months in the art forum. I have learned a lot. I am still learning a lot. I will continue learning a lot. It is great to have this forum and this site where those of us with the same photo/graphic bug can hang out together.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2004, 01:36 AM

Thumbs down

I've learned the most thing in this forum and 've got ideas to use methods other ways. My work is retouching so sometimes its make me free to do some foto based art. I've got to know Others, what their or Ur "perspective" of art. And i like it

Saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2004, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby
I've learned the most thing in this forum and 've got ideas to use methods other ways. My work is retouching so sometimes its make me free to do some foto based art. I've got to know Others, what their or Ur "perspective" of art. And i like it

Saby
Using this definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary...
Quote:
Decorative or illustrative elements in printed matter. Synonyms ART, SKILL, CUNNING, ARTIFICE, CRAFT mean the faculty of executing well what one has devised. ART implies a personal, unanalyzable creative power <the art of choosing the right word>. SKILL stresses technical knowledge and proficiency <the skill of a glassblower>. CUNNING suggests ingenuity and subtlety in devising, inventing, or executing <a mystery plotted with great cunning>. ARTIFICE suggests technical skill especially in imitating things in nature <believed realism in film could be achieved only by artifice>. CRAFT may imply expertness in workmanship <the craft of a master goldsmith>.
...I would say manipulation of any kind that one applies to a photo is an artistic endeavor. But the debate of whether the result is "art or not" belongs in a separate thread, so I will leave it at that.

I'm glad you are learning here at RetouchPRO. Thanks for posting your comments.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art