RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Hey, Photo-art newbie: Rate the Photo-art forum

View Poll Results: Those new (or fairly new) to the Photo Art Forum: How useful is THIS 'Best of' Forum?
Very, very valuable 79 49.69%
Very valuable / useful 52 32.70%
Valuable / useful 22 13.84%
Somewhat valuable / useful 2 1.26%
Limited value / usefulness 3 1.89%
Sorry, but I did not find it useful at all. 1 0.63%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2004, 12:09 AM

My vote was just shy of top notch mostly because I have encountered a couple minor annoyances:

1) Broken links in many places (example: watercolors & oils tut. by Phillis Stewart)
2) Almost every link, is actually a link to a link, slowing me down getting to the good stuff.

Trimoon's brush & lighting effect presets seem to give awesome results. Do they work in Elements 2? If not, does anyone have suggestions how to emulate them? I'm kind of echoing Joy_CA's frustration on this.

Overall, I'm finding this forum very stimulating & educational. Great job Danny!

-Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2004, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEngineer
My vote was just shy of top notch mostly because I have encountered a couple minor annoyances:

1) Broken links in many places (example: watercolors & oils tut. by Phillis Stewart)
2) Almost every link, is actually a link to a link, slowing me down getting to the good stuff.

Trimoon's brush & lighting effect presets seem to give awesome results. Do they work in Elements 2? If not, does anyone have suggestions how to emulate them? I'm kind of echoing Joy_CA's frustration on this.

Overall, I'm finding this forum very stimulating & educational. Great job Danny!

-Mark
Mark:

Thank you for your kind words (they are sincerely appreciated) and for taking the time to share your observations on broken links and occasional navigational frustrations.

As of now there are going on 900 threads in this forum and > 10,000 posts, so it would be nearly impossible for anyone -- especially a newbie -- to visit every nook and cranny. As you've discovered there are some pretty juicy tidbits to be found if you're lucky enough to find them. I've posted many links that lead to other threads, posts or posts with URLs for the purpose of helping folks find (IMO) "some good stuff" that they might have otherwise missed. If the road gets a little winding sometimes, know in my heart the intent isn't to slow you down.

Like you, I find broken links frustrating and annonying. Unfortunately 98% of the time a broken link in this forum comes about as a result of something I did. As the forum that chews up the most disk space at this site (due to all the attached pics), I do on occasion do some pretty aggressive thread pruning, resulting in dead links. Talk about self inflicted foot wounds. Without a backend database utility to automate the detection and reporting of dead links, I have to depend on folks like you to wave the flag and point them out when you find them.

Whenever I get a broken link report, I step on the gas to repair it (if I can) or make adjustments so people won't wander down a dead end. In the future if you (or anyone) discover a dead link I'd appreciate any information you can provide, e.g., a copy/paste of a string of text from the thread and send it to me via e-mail or PM, as would the thread or post URL (link). A text string can be used as a search argument. With a link or text string I can apply Band Aids fast.

Thanks again for adding your .02.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 01:04 AM

Exclamation Hey, newbie

This forum, with its multitude of topics and levels of expertise, is awesome and that is a word I reserve for things like Mt St Helens' eruption. Thank you to everyone for sharing information.

I am a novice at image editing and can use all the suggestions I can get. What I don't use today gets filed away for future reference and I know where to come when I have a problem. I have also told people in my computer users group about this site. Some of them are very adept at computers, others are not. All of us are new to digital imaging for genealogy purposes.

I notice that there are knowledgeable people frequenting this forum who are nearby geographically. Would I be out of line to suggest a gathering here in south King County, Washington? I'll bring snacks!

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLynn
This forum, with its multitude of topics and levels of expertise, is awesome and that is a word I reserve for things like Mt St Helens' eruption. Thank you to everyone for sharing information.

I am a novice at image editing and can use all the suggestions I can get. What I don't use today gets filed away for future reference and I know where to come when I have a problem. I have also told people in my computer users group about this site. Some of them are very adept at computers, others are not. All of us are new to digital imaging for genealogy purposes.

I notice that there are knowledgeable people frequenting this forum who are nearby geographically. Would I be out of line to suggest a gathering here in south King County, Washington? I'll bring snacks!

MaryLynn
Hi MaryLynn:

When I saw your ref. to Mt St Helens' eruption, it brought back vivid memories: I was living in Vancouver, WA -- about 50 miles from the mountain -- when she blew her top in 1980. I had to chuckle at all the press & hoopla the recent rumblings garnered.

Anyway, a gathering would be lovely. I'd enjoy meeting the local folks whom I've gotten to know online. With the onset of the holidaze and all, doing something "soon" would be a good thing to shoot for, otherwise after the first of the year when things settle down would be more practical. When/where does your computer group meet?

~Danny~

p.s. Snacks would be good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 10:23 AM

Smile Computer users group

When/where does your computer group meet?

~Danny~

p.s. Snacks would be good! [/QUOTE]

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply. The next meeting of our group is Nov 16, 6:30 pm, at Auburn Public Library, 1102 Auburn Way S in Auburn. Topic is "Editing and Printing Digital Images". We'll be introducing tools in PSE 2 to show how to go beyond cut/paste and brighten/contrast actions.

This is a very eclectic group with all levels of computer expertise represented. Digital imaging is new to all of us. To you this session will probably seem like a couple of first graders teaching the ABCs to a group of pre-schoolers, but we have to start somewhere and keep it simple enough to get people started.

If you are not able to make it to the November meeting, our next will be the third Tuesday in January, same time and place. Meanwhile, a meeting with other RP folks and some of our more adept people would be a lot of fun.

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEngineer

Trimoon's brush & lighting effect presets seem to give awesome results. Do they work in Elements 2? If not, does anyone have suggestions how to emulate them?

I'm kind of echoing Joy_CA's frustration on this.

-Mark
Mark:

I meant to reply to the above, too, and spaced out -- so here goes.

re: Your Elements/Lighting Effects setting question
I did some Internet surfing and from what I could see it appears Elements does not have this specific filter. I suspect that's because as I understand it Elements restricts manipulation of individual color channels, which this setting file tries to do.

Here's something you could try that will get you in the neighborhood, but not the exact results:
* Duplicate your arty layer
* Apply the Emboss filter (experiment with settings)
* Change the blend mode from Normal to either Overlay or Hard Light and tweak the opacity
* Possibly go back and apply some sharpening to the Embossed layer

re: Joy_CAs frustration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy_CA
...it is frustrating not to be able to use the information. I feel the same way about the Retouching Forum, it has some really wonderful effects. However, not having PS and not knowing what to use 'instead', I can't make the transition.

Are there enough PSP users on this forum, to, warrant a PSP category?"
It's been my observation in the 2+ years I've been privileged to moderate this forum that the preponderance of RetouchPRO members use Photoshop. That's not a judgment about non-Photoshop programs. It's simply a fact.

The good news: Tutorials and methods described in Photoshop terms usually translate to Elements without a lot of modification. You ran into a dead end with Lighting Effects and that's gonna happen now and then. I encourage you to post questions (like you did here) when you need an Elements' translation or workaround. Some folks have both programs and I'm sure would be happy to assist.

There are some folks who participate in the photo-art forum use Paint Shop Pro and for the most part share their PSP-specific steps (or are willing to post them when asked). At Joy's suggestion I did start a dedicated PSP thread, but it did not get much participation. That should not be construed as PSP being bad, inadequate or inferior to Photoshop in any way, shape or form. They are just different programs with many common functions, but often very different terminology. (The same can be said of Corel Photopaint, another feature rich program with too-few users.)

I welcome members to write and post tutorials and methods for non-Photoshop programs.

From the perspective of moderator of the photo-art forum I would have absolutely zero objection if anyone wanted to approach Doug Nelson, the site owner and admin, to volunteer to moderate non-Photoshop photo-art forum. I fully support creative diversity in this regard as does Doug. Unfortunately I'm not able to contribute much in this area because PS is the program I use 98% of the time.

If others are interested, further comments/discussion welcome on this topic.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-02-2004 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 03:26 PM

11/16 sounds promising. If you wouldn't mind me sitting in the back row and not making much noise, I'll start laying the groundwork.

re: 1st graders teaching A-B-C's to pre-schoolers
Believe me, I'm a kindergartner in many dimensions of digital imaging and relish the opportunity to learn from others whenevern possible. While much can be learned by surfing and participating in online forums, you sure can't beat face-to-face interaction for establishing personal relationships.

If opportunities happen to come up where sharing some of my own experiences (many painful, I might add) could be useful, I'm happy to do so from the perspectives of "No one is 'born' with these skills", "Everyone starts at the same place" and "Learn from the mistakes other people make. Life's too short to make all the mistakes yourself."

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 05:24 PM

Thumbs down Newbie

You are most welcome and we look forward to seeing you on the 16th if you can make it.

You are also welcome to participate in future activities. We never pass up the opportunity to share information!

Anyone else in the area who might be interested in attending is also welcome.

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 PM

Talking I think...

On each section of the forum, we need a chat thread, so we can all have TIMEOUT from are artwork, look out of the window and chat with our new friends.

"Meeting Place"

Hi Neve

Hi Janet

Plus with the privat message thing its only a one to one not a full scale chat...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2005, 11:44 PM

Timeout is in the Salon .... pop on over there and we'll come as soon we hear the kettle boiling...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art