Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Lynda Logan's Hope

Old 01-04-2003, 11:39 AM

Re: Painting with crystals?

Quote:
Originally posted by pstewart
This painting effect was done with KPT pyramid paint and PS spatter filters, a layer mask with brush set to PETAL CRYSTALS for the smaller brushstrokes, and an overlaid pattern adjustment layer using the CRYSTALS pattern set in the 500's to make the larger brushstrokes.
Phyllis, I really like the effect you got, but can't quite figure out how you got there from your description. What did you use the layer mask for? I assume you hid something and used the Petal Crystals for the edge between the black and white of the mask, but not sure what you were masking. Also, is the Petal Crystals brush one of the PS presets? And the pattern adjustment layer was changed to Overlay blending mode, right?

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 01:56 PM

Re: Painting with crystals?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Phyllis, I really like the effect you got, but can't quite figure out how you got there from your description. What did you use the layer mask for? I assume you hid something and used the Petal Crystals for the edge between the black and white of the mask, but not sure what you were masking. Also, is the Petal Crystals brush one of the PS presets? And the pattern adjustment layer was changed to Overlay blending mode, right?
The layer mask was over the merged layer after running the filters etc. I filled it in with black then painted on it with white using a large petal crystals brush to remove it gradually (completely on the face, less on hair, and still less toward edges). The petal crystals brush is from Adobe and came with Photoshop 7...don't know if it was one of the extra brushes in the goodies bundle I got with it or if it was already installed.

As for the blending mode in the pattern adjustment layer, I may have used overlay, but seem to recall using hard light with lowered opacity, since hard light shows up the texture better than overlay or soft light...guess you just have to try all three to see what you like. I AM sure however that I also lowered the opacity of the pattern.

Phyllis

Last edited by pstewart; 01-04-2003 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 02:11 PM

Re: Re: Painting with crystals?

Thanks Phyllis.
Quote:
Originally posted by pstewart
The layer mask was over the merged layer after running the filters etc. I filled it in with white then painted on it with black using a large petal crystals brush to remove it gradually (completely on the face, less on hair, and still less toward edges).
Just so I'm sure I understand the layers you were working with... At the point you added the layer mask, you had the background original photo and a layer above it which was the merged filter layers. Then you added the mask to the merged layer to let some of the original photo show through on the face and fading outward? If not just the two layers, then what was showing through after you added the mask?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 03:31 PM

To Jeanie

Sorry...this was wrong: "As for the blending mode in the pattern adjustment layer, I may have used overlay, but seem to recall using hard light with lowered opacity..." Turns out it was SOFT light, not hard light.

As for your new question, I understand the confusion now. Yes, there was a second layer under the merged one...sorry I forgot to include that. It was a darker version (I recall using a blend mode on a dupe that made the layer too dark) so I did the layer mask partly to lighten it up or vice versa, blending the two together in a blotchy fashion with the petal crystals brush. I liked the result of dark vs. light, which looked like paint strokes to me.

I tried to duplicate the method today on Snowleopard's new member challenge called "lotus blossom." I put the steps I used there, which might help to clarify the confusion I caused here. The effect is different of course since the picture was quite different, but I think it has promise as being a rather quick'n'easy way to fake a watercolor. I'll have to work on it more and see if I can perfect and/or streamline it.

Phyllis

Last edited by pstewart; 01-04-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the clarification Phyllis! I feel a little better, because it sure didn't look like that was the original picture showing through.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2003, 01:31 AM

The little lady with a Million expressions..... Lynda, here's another ..

Wanda...WoW.. Your's was just outstanding......

A watercolor effort with many layers & opacity levels.... followed a couple of different tutorials, Cricket's & pen & ink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-lynda_logans_hope-texture.jpg (42.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2003, 02:52 AM

Wow Wanda... you've done a wonderful job. I absolutely love it!

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2003, 03:05 AM

Here's my attempt at a charcoal sketch.

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynda\'s-grandaughter.jpg (95.8 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2003, 01:28 PM

Goldcoin, I love that texture...it shimmers. The "strokes" in the hair look just like watercolor...nicely done!

Lisa, your charcoal sketch is superb! Just the right amount of detail in the face, which is often hard to do in a sketch.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 02:07 PM

Had to give it a try
first did sketch
colored eyes lips and skin
on skin I used art history brush did each one on a seperate layer
on seperate layer put a lighting effects (lighting pencil) action.
did a feather
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynda_logans_hopebl copy.jpg (53.3 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art