Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Inquisitive Jay Watercolor

Old 12-08-2002, 11:28 PM
Platscha, very nice job on the dog painting...looks like one of Sarah's.

And Sarah, that jay pic is utterly gorrrrrgeous and went right into my "keeper" file! What brush did you use that made those irregular edges on the background...that is really effective in giving it a real brushed look. Do you recall?

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 09:50 AM
Platcha that looks pretty good.

I used the wet watercolor brush and played around with the settings and saved one I liked. I use varias (forgot how to spell that) sizes and sometimes different brush settings. It is all very intuitive. I think because I have a background in watercolor painting it helps in trying to get it close to a real one.

I keep my original background safe. Then make a new layer from the last one everytime I apply a different filter. I may end up with quite a few filter layers set to different opacity and mode.

What I find very hard is figuring what size to work on for using in a printed piece. The size makes a big difference in the look of the printed finish. I usually work smaller and upsample. If anyone has any hints on this end of things I would love to hear them
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 10:17 AM

your work is lovely.

when you speak of watercolor brushes, what do they look like? unless i am overlooking something, ps5.5 does not have this specifically, but i am guessing i could approximate by clicking wet edges if i knew shape, hardness and density of the brush.

you have opened my eyes to the uses of smart blur; had never used it beyond making line drawings with it, thank you so much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 03:27 PM
I used photoshop7. It has more brush controls but I think you might find something fairly similar in 5.5
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art