RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

drawing with photo as template

Old 01-02-2003, 11:20 AM

drawing with photo as template

Now I am not sure if I like what I did. I am thinking to tone down their eyes a bit. The tutorial is at:
http://www.casmaran.com/John%20Brig%...20tutorial.htm

This is how to use a photo as a template for drawing. I used another layer on top of the photo and used a brush and painted on the blank layer get this effect.

Cricket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg johnbrigart.jpg (98.6 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 01:28 PM

Cricket......

What an inventive idea..... thought it came out very,very well. Wonder how come all the different colors, did you do that? The resemblance to the original is really close....

Think you are on to something here.... don't have a Wascom nor Probuzz program, so unable to play with this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 03:04 PM

Hi Cricket:

Happy 2003!

This is a very creative technique. Thanks so much for sharing it.

If you didn't have DreamSuite, could you have come "close" (or at least have been in the ballpark) using some combination of filters or blends in Photoshop? What would be your advice for those w/o that plugin?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Just ran across an interesting tutorial at www.arraich.com (this is a GREAT site, BTW, that uses a technique sort of similar to the one Cricket described. Though written for PS Elements, it applies directly to Photoshop.

http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_ooutline1.htm

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-03-2003 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 06:20 PM

A have had a similar idea, but opposite from the sounds of the descriptions...

What you do is have a transparent or white layer under a regular image, so that it is hidden.

Then you start tracing on the lower hidden layer, laying down the lightest colours/tones first - all the while working blind.

Add new layers for darker tones, or just work on the one layer (breaking things up seems better).

A bit like working with water colour paint, but wearing a blindfold.

At the end of the project you either have a chuckle at the mess or you have nice surprise...

We might have to change this site to PhotoArtPro, instead of RetouchPro! <g> There is not much retouching traffic these days. I understand how computer photo art or pixel painting can be a step over traditional methods in some respects - but years ago I really enjoyed painting for recreation (before entering commercial computer based art) and if I was going to get back into art for 'fun' I think I would prefer to step away from the computer and mess around with the real stuff, just for a break.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GOLDCOIN
Cricket......

Wonder how come all the different colors, did you do that? The resemblance to the original is really close....

The colors were mostly automatic using the Buzz Pro bright color wash. I changed them just a hair using hue and saturation in PS 7.

Think you are on to something here.... don't have a Wascom nor Probuzz program, so unable to play with this.
You can down load a free trial (good for 30 tries) at http://www.vnunet.com/Download/1116630
Cricket
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 07:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DannyRaphael
[B]Hi Cricket:

If you didn't have DreamSuite, could you have come "close" (or at least have been in the ballpark) using some combination of filters or blends in Photoshop? What would be your advice for those w/o that plugin?

To get a similar effect; stamp the image then duplicate that. Run gausian blur on the top layer (around 25 pixels) and set the blending mode to "multiply. Stamp the results and mess with curves or levels to lighten the image.

Cricket
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stephen M
[B]A
What you do is have a transparent or white layer under a regular image, so that it is hidden.

Then you start tracing on the lower hidden layer, laying down the lightest colours/tones first - all the while working blind.

Can you post some examples? It sounds interesting.

Cricket
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art