Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Brushstroke texture/pattern

Old 01-09-2003, 03:18 AM

Colored brushstrokes

Last of all, I use both of these patterns on this entry in mini-challenge #71:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...=&postid=41161

That pic had a multi-colored version of the non-embossed pattern applied first, which I merged into the picture before applying the embossed layers to add the paint texture.

These colored patterns were the originals from which I made the embossed ones (they were combined with different opacities into one pattern). I made them simply by brushing every which way on a picture with a smudge tool using an appropriate brush type/size. This is a good way to make your own brushstroke patterns. After you get the strokes, you can increase contrast, desaturate, etc. to get down to bare black lines if you like, and/or you can emboss the pattern if you like. Lots of possibilities. Try it--it's fun!

Anyway, here are the two patterns I started with.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patterns_vangogh_colors.jpg (89.7 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 01-10-2003 at 01:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2003, 01:23 AM

A "found" texture

Chuck wrote: The difference between using Painter Classic auto Van Gogh and your approach is Painter Classic is a two step process that computes a direction for the strokes as a function of the image content and then adds the brush strokes on the second pass.

Yes, that's true. It's been a while since I used Painter and I forget...can you add impasto to the Van Gogh brush style? That would give it the look that embossing the texture does in PS, plus the benefit of directing strokes. If you do that will you still have the colors showing up? I like the colors in the swirls in your first pic!

I see what you mean about the vertical lines on the rose...guess you can just clone that out though...not a lot to fix. The look is really great! And the rose itself is wonderful. Here it is winter in Illinois and I have no flowers to photograph, and I'm jealous.
---------

Here is another texture, found hiding in PS7 preset folder in the textures folder there (not in the main textures folder).* The name is "oilsshort.psd" and it is colored red...not the most useful color! But the strokes are great! I opened it and softened the color to gold and used it in mini-challenge #71:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...=&postid=41248

I also made a b/w version which gives nice results also, but I rather like the way the gold color tones down the too-blue sky on the barn pic while warming up the reds and greens. I set the blend mode to overlay and reduced opacity a bit.

Here are both of the textures to download. Save one or both as separate PSD files and place them in presets>textures folder, and/or edit>define pattern to put them in your pattern collection. First is the gold one.

*I don't know if it came with Photoshop or if I made it a few years ago for some purpose and forgot about it...if you have it too, please let me know...thanks.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilsshort-gold.jpg (45.3 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 01-10-2003 at 01:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2003, 01:39 AM

And here is the neutral gray version of the same brush texture. Important: if you plan to put these into Photoshop's presets>textures folder to access later, be sure to save it as a PSD file first.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilsshort-gray.jpg (28.9 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2003, 03:43 AM

These textures / patterns really make a difference. Seeing the examples along with them clearly illustrates the effect. I especially liked the "oil" based textures.

Well done. (No, I'm not ordering a steak! )
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art