RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Dream Cottage

Old 01-14-2003, 09:15 PM

Phyllis..Just beautiful..I love that version

Raven..the engraving/stipple technique that Chuck and I used is an action that danny posted here at RP..Here is the link..scroll down to Danny's post..http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=5

Jerry

P.S. Check out some of the other actions that you might have missed..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ravenmd
David, Sanda, Chuck, Phyllis, Jerry.. what can I say.. I love all of them! I'm astounded at the quality and variety of work on this forum. David, you are so adventurous with all these different technicques.. you're light years ahead of me. I used basically about what you had in your watercolour action you so generously shared... Im JUST starting.. gimmie a break. ok, I cheat

I confess I had stayed away from this forum only because I KNEW I would get hopelessly hooked and I just didn't have the time to commit.. but now that I've dived in.... (dove?) I'm afraid it's all over. I foresee some late late nights...
Thanks Marie! Well I'm not sure it's so much adventurous.. it's more just trying random things which keep working out quite well if you're experimenting with filters, actions etc., then you're at the same place I am! and hey. . there's nothing wrong with cheating, for photo art anyway! yes, this stuff is hopelessly addictive, and the late nights seem to be a side effect of the whole photo-art thing, there's been a couple occasions when I've been sitting there not noticing the time go by when suddenly I realize it's getting lighter and the birds are waking up and making noise

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 02:21 AM

Ravenmd.....What a storybook cottage.....Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Very nice watercolor....

David..... Yours has that foggy, early morning misty...... haunted, perhap, look. Like it.

Sanda.....Where have you been, great looking version.

Chuck.... can't decide which one was my favorite......Well, the Van Gogh version wins. Went back and had another look, maybe your third one. All were good.....you are getting really accomplished. Something to that practice, practice & praction.

Phyllis.... The colors were great, what was that overall pattern on your first one. Very nice water color..

Jerry..... Agree, the etching did set this pix off very well. Funny, how one actions work so well with one pix, but looks just awful with another...

I'm in my pattern & texture phase.... still can't find the brush that paints with pattern or texture..... It's not in the Edit , fill area??

here's what I came up with.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cottage-1.jpg (51.2 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 AM

Phyllis, your watercolor is outstanding! Did you use one of the techniques already shared on RP, or did you come up with something new? I have a feeling that this technique was shared somewhere else, but I've been focused on other things lately and haven't been paying as much attention as I should.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 12:38 PM

Nice subject Marie!

A strange thing about this one, which didn't seem to bug anyone, is that the house seems to be leaning to the right. I fixed that and then played around with a couple of filters. I agree with Chuck in that the sky needs some mods, and he's already won with the rainbow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cottageravenal.jpg (44.1 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 02:34 PM

Did a little texturing with a couple home-grown actions + recolored the roof walls (separate layers, blend=Color, and adjusted with hue/saturation adjustment layers).

The frame was generated with an action I'm beta testing for an associate. When it is fined tuned and he's ready, the action will be posted here at RetouchPRO.

- - - - - -
MARIE:

Glad to see you again. You've been missed.

Give in to the temptation. You NEED to be here! And you really don't need that much sleep, do you?

Great pic to inspire us.

- - - - - -
JERRY:

Especially like the etch effect. It came out especially well.

PS:

Watercolor effect works great on this one.

CHUCK:

A rainbow! Inspired.
- - - - - -

- - - - - -

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cottage-djr.jpg (77.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-15-2003 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 03:17 PM

Jeanie, thanks. If you missed it, my watercolor (and oil) technique is here in the forums:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4820

Quote:
Originally posted by GOLDCOIN
I'm in my pattern & texture phase.... still can't find the brush that paints with pattern or texture..... It's not in the Edit , fill area??
First let me say that I love your heavy texture look! You could make use the edit>define brush to paint with a texture, or you can make a textured brush by going to window>brushes and editing an existing brush to add a texture/pattern to it. Then I would guess that you paint with the brush set to soft light or overlay, the modes you would use for a pattern overlay. Anyone know a better way?

Danny, great texture on yours too. This pic seems to ask for texture, doesn't it!

Al, I never noticed the house was leaning...maybe because it's old. Your treatment puts it into an English mist.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 04:38 PM

Thanks Phyllis. I knew I should have known you already posted that!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 05:50 PM

Goldcoin...Very nice work..the texture works with this pic..

Big Al..Your soft rendition works with me.. the perspective problem that you spotted definately was missed by me..(and others I think)

Danny..Really impressive impasto look..Great texture really sets this pic off..LOVE THAT FRAME".. I know that many folks (on at least two forums) will be very happy to store that action on their computers..(myself included of course)..
Thanks for the effort..

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 11:31 PM

Still at it

I was not happy with the perspective in my pic, so I added a vertical guide at the right wall and then deformed the picture until the wall was aligned with the guide. The tower now appears to lean to the left, but if one looks at the left of the tower coming thru the roof it leans to the right, so one gets the feeling that the tower has walls which slope inward as it gets higher.

In this pic I also added some clouds using PSP's picture tube (much the same as Painter's image hose). I then reduced the opacity of the cloud layer (to take your eye off them as the light is from the wrong direction ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cottageravenal4.jpg (44.3 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art