RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

PS Book Recommendations Please

Old 02-02-2003, 07:56 AM

If you make use of the documentation that you receive with PS7, you'll be able to find all the tools.

I can't praise the members of this forum enough. They helped me learn PS from scratch and you need only do a search for "winwintoo" to uncover some of the bonehead questions I asked

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 08:35 AM

I have PS6 for Photographers by Martin Evening. It's a good book for retouching photos. But don't look for restoration tips. It's main thrust is to manipulate digital images.

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 09:37 AM

thanks all

feivel
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 11:49 AM

Another really good "overall" book is Ben Willmore's Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Studio Techniques. (There are previous versions as well.) Ben does a great job of explaining things in a way that's easy to understand. This is the book that got me started - and then learned almost everything else here. I did purchase Katrin's book as well - after learning about it here.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 12:11 PM

Please don't misunderstand - I LOVE books and use them for inspiration and often refer to them.

At the same time, I want to stress the valuable asset that RetouchPRO is.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 01:41 PM

definitely agree with Margaret, for a couple months when I started doing this stuff, I never even bought any books, everything I learned about restoration/retouching etc. was just from here, the forums, tutorials and challenge descriptions are filled with tons of invaluable information. and don't feel bad asking "stupid" questions, we're happy to answer questions or point to another thread where the problem or question was addressed.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2003, 01:11 PM

I just started working with Katrin Eismann's book. It's perfect. I feel like she's standing next to me while I'm working. And I can't, for the life of me, figure out how she does it but she kind of makes photoshop seem simple!

Thank you, this book is more than I was hoping for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2003, 12:48 AM

I admit it, my name is Roger, and I am a addicted to books - they give me a rush that no matter what problem I want to solve, the solution is at my fingertips.

I have not read a single one completely, I dive in and through them as needed to solve the inevitable mysteries and such.

I agree, Katrin's book for retouching and Professional Photoshop for color correction are the industry bibles.

The third, and not yet mentioned (that nobody has tried to rewrite because it has been done so well), is Photoshop Channel Chops by Biedny, Monroy, and Moody. This books explains in an easy way how Photosop works at it's core - the result is that I am finding myself "thinking Photoshop" more and more rather than depending on the recipies.

Another cool book is Photoshop, Painter, & Illustrator Side by Side by Wendy Cumpler. The book is filled with tables and examples of side by side how to do each possible function in each program. I now have Photoshop & Painter, but even when I just had Photoshop I could go to the table with the tool, function, layer, mask, etc. that I was looking for and scan down the descriptions of the different things I could do and then over to how to do them. Very quick and easy. An added bonus is that if you ever find yourself thinking that you should get Painter or Illustrator you can check the comparrisons for what you want to do to make sure it is worth it.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Janitor

Hopefully, once we start getting some opinions logged in our Reviews section, everyone will be able to find their ideal book(s) very quickly. 122 books listed, but only 11 opinions to date.

My goal is to make it the defacto resource to answer questions just like this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2003, 10:40 AM

Never explored this site fully, didn't realize there was a book review area.

If it is possible to rank the books by rating it would make that area much more useful, there's so many, it's difficult to go through them all.

as long as i'm in suggestion mode, ever consider a newbie forum, where they (we) can be more comfortable asking very basic questions, and where those experienced forum members who enjoy helping newbies would be able to find cries for help in one place?

thank you
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art