RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Kelly-Anne

Old 02-12-2003, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the great image to work on! Got any more student portraits? Could always use more great faces for the minis: pstewart@innographx.com --hint hint.

Mikl, wow...you are really painting in Painter! You ought to see what you can do with a brush and canvas and oils instead of pen, slate and pixels!

Jerry, great job. Love the hair...what brush did you use?

Sanda, the soft simple coloration and the coal black hair is very effective.

CJ, looks like you bought this in a southwest souvenir shop...the colored outlining is daring but works with the subject.

Eye highlights look good to me. I especially like the effect the fine outlining had on her eyebrows, mouth and shirt.

BK, you’ve made her shimmer and shine...like her hair is made of tiny glass beads!

Amanda, what a look! Like she’s painted on soft velvety satin...wow!

Chuck, wonderful! I especially like the first since it looks like a genuine old photo. And there is certainly nothing “incorrect” politically or otherwise in showing ethnic ancestry. I would think any Native American would be proud of their heritage.

Pam, that’s terrific...looks like a magazine illustration. I’d love to know how you did that. Please tell...please?

Quote:
Originally posted by themanda
I was practicing Phyllis' technique this afternoon and found it very difficult to acheive smooth results. Everyone I did came out looking like they had lizard skin. You did a great job on this!
If you got "lizard skin" perhaps your brush was too small or strokes too short? I don't know what size Jerry used, but I used a rather large brush and fairly long strokes. I also "scrubbed" the brush back and forth in many places to get smoother blending. Also, check the blend mode settings for the brush and see if a different setting will help with certain areas.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 04:54 AM

Very nice work everybody, lots of originality, as usual.

Chuck, you're not incorrect at all. That's a nice work. I like the color one cause she looks great (we wouldn't know she's only 7) but, as Phyllis, I prefer the first one for the old photo look.

Phyllis, ya, sure I've got lots of photos of 'my' kids. Will send you some as soon as I've got time, and their permission.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 AM

Again, a marvelous group of intrepretations everyone. Well done.

On this one, I took a pretty basic route for openers. These are the general steps. I did some tweaking not detailed here, but this is pretty close.:
* Duplicated BG, desaturated
* Duplicated the desaturated layer, changed blend mode to color dodge, inverted the image and applied Gaussian blur, set opacity to about 90%
* Added a Levels adjustment layer to tweak contrast
* Added a Brightness / Contrast adjustment layer to control color tone (next step)
* Added a new layer onto which color was restored using the History brush; tweaked color tone with BC adjustment layer above.
* Flattened and duplicated resulting BG; applied Colored Pencil filter and blended at about 50% Normal.

Good start, but not quite "rugged enough." So...
* Flattened and duplicated resulting BG and applied David Rowley Cardiff Bay technique to this layer. Blended with layer below with a layer mask.
* Flattened again and duplicated the resulting layer. Ran Emboss filter against it and set blend mode to Overlay. Then tried numerous texture generating filters, e.g., Ocean Ripple, Dry Brush, Palette Knife, Sprayed Strokes, etc., to "rough this one up" a bit, giving it some texture character.
* Flattened and applied the frame.

Cheers...
~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kelly-anne-djr.jpg (83.0 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
Thought I'd try a painted portrait of this youngster..This was done in ps7 using Phyllis's newest painting technique..
THAT is the face I had in my mind. I liked what I did except I couldn't get THAt face. Where is Phyllis's newest painting technique?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknight
Where is Phyllis's newest painting technique?
In mini challenge #85 - Prison Guard:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=2

The post is the one that accompanies the picture named painting.jpg.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 04:10 PM

Boy you folks have really made some nice entries of this pretty young lady since I checked in yesterday..Top notch everyone..

Phyllis
The brush that I used with your technique is simply called "dry brush 39". I used it at approx 50% opacity and varied the size depending on the detail..Like you, I used a fairly large brush for most of it approx. 40 to 50 pixels.. I varied opacities from 50 to 6 percent depending on how I was blending..The intuos makes blending pretty easy with pressure control..I would simply rub harder to blend harder..The technique works really well..I found the canvas texture to really compliment this technique..

Have fun
Jerry

Thanks everyone for the nice comments..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 04:17 PM

I've been working on that style of "smudge painting" this afternoon. Far less lizard skin!! While I'm still not thrilled with the results, I'm much happier. Just need to practice some more. I must say, though, that the way it renders fabric and hair is PERFECTION. I'm amazed that something as simple as the smudge tool gives such terrific...and consistent...results.

Thanks for sharing this one Phyllis!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 05:10 PM

Very attractive little one.

I'm still playing with "PaintEngine" . I used this in conjunction with PS7 filters (a bunch of them), and some Nik contrast filters to bring out the color.

Really nice work everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lqqker_kellyanne.jpg (99.7 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by LQQKER; 02-12-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 05:18 PM

LQQKER, I love what you did to her eyes!! Great job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 05:21 PM

Smudge Painting

That's what I'm calling this technique for lack of a more glamourous term. I guess we could call it the Phyllis Special...but everything she does is so darn special that we'd be at a loss for what to call her next creation. Hmm...

Anyway, I've been playing with this and am finally at a place where I'm happy enough with my results to post them. I did some PE'ing on the background and added a lighting effect, but everything else is done with the good ole smudge tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaportrait2.jpg (56.5 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art