Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Here's your chance to defend your art form.

Old 03-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Here's your chance to defend your art form.

I'm from the "I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like" crowd.

I just had a discussion with my son the artsy university student. One of his classes is looking at art and computers and the internet and all that. I'm not sure what they are trying to prove, but he has been in several discussions about whether tools like Photoshop are ligitimate tools to produce art.

The feeling seems to be that "art" produced on the computer is not really art.

The same people who are arguing against computer art are the ones who listen to "techno" music.

Anybody have any thoughts on this??

Last edited by winwintoo; 03-05-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 08:16 PM

Techno art and techno music are both viable forms of their namesakes. What passes for music to those who create it with more common instruments such as guitars and pianos is often less pleasant than what is generated by a computer. What about Hendrix, who played his guitar in years gone by and made very un-guitarlike sounds from it? The modern keyboard, with it's different sounds available. Several big-name artists use computers to generate music. And that's just the music side.

Art is art, no matter what is used to make it. If it pleases the eye and evokes a feeling, then it is art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm from the same crowd as you Margaret. I think that's a very good question, and in my mind, art can be learned, but it's not as simple as using filters or actions in Photoshop. To me, real art is something that takes a lot of study, or maybe some people are simply born with ability in that field. Of course art is, by nature, subjective, so what some people consider art, others might consider junk! Then there might be different forms of "art". Is photography an art? What about quilting? Needlework? I guess what I'm trying to say is that "art" is in the eye of the person viewing whatever it is. To me, a Picasso is nothing I would want on my property, but there are many works of art worth far less, that I would really enjoy.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Interesting thought,

Although I'm somewhat in agreement, I would have to differ with you a bit.

I think what this individual is talking about is "talent". It's hard to disagree with an effort that an individual may come up with on a computer as being art, compared with someone that conjured his creation in his mind and completed his thoughts freehand. There's really no comparision.

The ability to create without nothing "is" no doubt different. However, the question is about "what is art". Art is whatever floats ones boat, so, it's about a persons best effort on what he or she is trying to convey . . . and . . . If it is appreciated by others, it's art, if not, it's another caveman wall drawing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 08:49 PM
I'm with you, Margaret.

I think a paintbrush, as well as a musical instrument, are tools to produce an end product. So is a computer and a computer program.

Art (IMHO) is something you make to evoke an emotion or to express one. Art has nothing to do with how it's made or what tools are used to make it. It has everything to do with how you feel when you create it and how others feel when they view or experience it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 08:51 PM
I see no difference between manipulating pixels and vectors to create a work of art and using the traditional mediums like oils, acrylics, watercolor, pastels, or a lump of clay.

ALL require a good eye, some education, and many hours of practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Looking back at my earlier post, I realize I didn't answer the question. I think it is possible for real art to be created on a computer, but that doesn't mean that everyone who produces something that I might like would be considered an artist by me.

Here's something from a 17 year old girl I know, and to me, that's art!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashley_heavy_oil_painting.jpg (88.7 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 11:07 PM
The responses so far on this topic are exceptionally gentle and polite when compared to flame fests I've seen other places. I've read threads that go on for PAGES of back-and-forth insults, where you get the impression that participants, if they could, would reach though their monitors and strangle those with opposing views. Talk about people getting all riled up: it's amazing to me.

One thing's for sure: There's no consensus.

For me it requires no defense: It's entertaining and has given me reasons to learn dimensions of Photoshop (and aspects of digital imaging) that I otherwise would never have explored.

Is it art? Makes no difference to me one way or the other.

'nuf said.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 12:08 AM
I believe that art like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To illustrate my point there has been a story in our local news this week about a painting purchased for $75,000 by our state Art Gallery. Now this painting is just white paint on a canvas, I don't particularly like it but some do and that's their choice. In their view it's art but I'm not quite sure how much talent it took to create it. But as most art does it sparks comment and in that light maybe it's doing as is intended.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Fascinating question. I looked up art in the dictionary and really liked the first definition:

1. a. The activity of creating beautiful things. b. Works, such as painting or poetry, resulting from such activity.

Of course, as Sanda said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't see any mention of specific mediums or technique in that definition. (Or any others in the dictionary entry.) Other entries I found pertinent:

3. The aesthetic values of an artist as expressed in his works. 4. Any of various disciplines, as the humanities, that do not rely exclusively on the scientific method. 5. A craft or trade and its methods.

Seems like computer-generated art fits quite well in these definitions.

But really, I'm another one who is not really "into" art - but I know what I like when I see it. And I've seen plenty of very expensive art that I absolutely do not like (with some I even think - heck, I could do that!) And other times I find inexpensive art that I just have to have - almost always b/c it has invoked a strong feeling or captured a moment/scene that has special meaning to me.

I guess another way look at this question is: If "art" generated on a computer is not art, then what is it??

FWIW, I fall in the "it's art" camp.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art