RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Flowers - Wallflowers

Old 03-31-2003, 08:01 AM

Phyllis, beautiful work as always. How did you acheive that interesting texture on the leaves of your first one?

Amanda, I like how you placed the flowers in the corner over your artistic version.

Tyeise
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2003, 09:13 AM

So they really are called wallflowers? I thought BK was being witty.

I wonder if they'll grow down here...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2003, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by themanda
So they really are called wallflowers? I thought BK was being witty.

I wonder if they'll grow down here...
Oh no - I don't do witty.

I'm surprised that wallflowers didn't do well for ANYONE, as they are almost in the weed category as far as hardiness goes. They get little green-bean-like seed pods on them after their first profusion of blooming, and if you trim those off (and throw them in some dirt after they have dried) they bloom again and again. I'm sure they'd grow in Texas if they grow here in the Northwest. Seem to like sun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2003, 09:38 PM

Hi Folks
Really GREAT entries so far..Very nice flowers to work with..Here is a tinted sketch with some hand masked highlights..Thought it kind of looks like wallpaper..

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flowers.jpg (90.5 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2003, 01:31 PM

Phil:

Wonderful pic for this mini. The "Whidby Postcard" is a WHOLE LOT better that one would find at the North Bend Safeway, that's for sure!

- - - - - - - -
Phyllis:

Your watercolor treatment is very impressive. If you have time would you detail the technique? I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

- - - - - - - -
Amanda:

The combination of edge treatment + distinct foreground / background flowers is very effective

- - - - - - - -
Chuck:

Especially nice results of AHB + Trimoon's texture. Can you give some detail on brush selection / settings, AHB settings. Very nice.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2003, 04:05 PM

Beautiful work by all. BK, that's a beautiful photo, I don't know if I could mess it up no matter how hard I tried! By the way, where do you live on Whidbey Island? I lived in Oak Harbor from July 85 to Dec 88.

I haven't used my batik effect in a while, and I think it works with this. Bill Miller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallflower2.jpg (86.6 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2003, 04:22 PM

I agree. Very nice rendition.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2003, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tyeise
Phyllis, ... How did you acheive that interesting texture on the leaves of your first one?
That comes from what I call my "abstract" technique, which is detailed here in the photo art forum. Basically it involves making the basic outline but in the process adding equalize, anisotropic, and cutout. The full instructions are at
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4945 .

Quote:
Originally posted by danny
Your watercolor treatment is very impressive. If you have time would you detail the technique? I don't recall seeing it anywhere.
It's nothing fancy. Mainly just smart blur to simplify a bit, followed by anisotropic diffuse, unsharp mask, then a pattern adjustment layer using a blotchy pattern that I made a while back. Any blotchy pattern should work okay, but if you want the one I used, I will post it here.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blotchy.jpg (90.8 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2003, 01:16 AM

Blacknight, thanks for a great image. Everyone seems to have had a great time with this one.

I basically used the method I described here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...s&pagenumber=2 (scroll down to my response to Blacknight). I also ran some filters on the flowers...smart blur, anisotropic and watercolor or dry brush IIRC, among others that I can't recall. I worked on this piecemeal on and off all day today, so I didn't keep track.

Pam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallflowers-2.jpg (99.1 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2003, 05:24 PM

Phyllis:

Thx for the how-to hints and the super texture... I've been pecking away at it and got no where even close to the wonderful results you got.

- - - - - - - -

In the mean time I became sidetracked and ended up with something completely different. Ah, the wonders of random, accidental art.

I used the output of three actions here (see following), modifying the results of the 2nd one a bit and the last one considerably.

Action for outer frame (unmodified results):
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...7874#post47874

Action for inner selection:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...5554#post45554

Action for flowers background
The The flowers background is based on an action recently downloaded from www.share.studio.adobe.com (if you haven't signed up for this site, you'll need to). Search for the action set "SimpleEffective". In it is an action called "Alienique," which I modified heavily. Send me e-mail if you're interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallflowers-djr.jpg (81.5 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-03-2003 at 12:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art