RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Modular Photo-Art 00: Introduction

Old 05-11-2003, 01:27 PM

I was noticing as I did photo-art that there are several variations for accomplishing a single step, and that these steps were used again and again in different pictures. For example, there are many ways to simplify, sketch, color blend, etc. Then I wondered if it would help to have a thread dedicated to each of these. This way, if a step isn’t going quite right, we could check the thread and find alternate ways to do it. So I asked Danny what he thought, and it looks like I’ll be kicking this off. So here is how it works:

1. I’m going to start the first few of these. I’ll try to describe what the technique is, and offer some methods of doing it. Then others can post methods they know, or ones they discover. This can also include links to other messages or to web pages.

2. These are focused techniques. They are not tutorials about how to create watercolors or oils, or any particular look. Instead, they are the interchangeable components that can contribute to a look. That’s why they are called modules. Danny came up with the idea of naming them all similarly so people can find them.

3. These modules are not only for Photoshop, they are for all photo applications. This means that the instructions may or may not use Photoshop menu choices and tools. So if the instructions don’t fit your application, please ask for help with translating the technique.

This thread is the introduction. It is also the place for you to make suggestions and offer criticisms with regard to this idea. I will post the first module in a few days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2003, 05:44 PM

When Andrew suggested this series, I just about jumped out of my chair with anticipation.

Thank you, Andrew for taking the initiative. I'm looking forward to future installments.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2003, 07:35 PM

Danny,

Part of the delay in my getting this started is I'm still not sure about some things. For example, there are several sketch techniques, but some don't appear to be any good unless they are combined with a color technique. Also, some color techniques make no sense without a sketch. So I'm tempted to combine these into one thread. And if we want a separate color thread, maybe some techniques could be in both.

I would love to hear opinions from others about this. Or maybe I should just stop being such a worrier.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2003, 10:32 AM

How about a thread for each different technique (regardless if color or not). That would keep examples and follow-on discussion focused.

Don't worry about the thread names. Those are easy to change.

Worry is not a problem if it results in better quality. Go ahead a launch a few modules and we'll adjust course from there if necessary.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 03:03 AM

What a coincidence! I was just thinking about this sort of thing yesterday! There are some things I do regularly for different end results, but the little "modules" (of which I've made even a few actions for my own use) are so useful that I was going to post a few somewhere on the forum. And THIS will be the place! It's bedtime now, but I'll get some posted soon! And I really look forward to learning from others as well.

By the way, I much prefer this approach to posting actions, since 1) my Mac can't always use actions made on a PC and 2) I'd much rather see the STEPS involved anyway...that's where all the learning is, after all.

Thanks for a great idea!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 08:36 AM

Danny said:
>How about a thread for each different technique (regardless if color or not). That would keep examples and follow-on discussion focused.<

Sounds good. With the first module I'm going to post several messages to give models for the kinds of things that might fit a module. Then if some don't seem to fit we can talk about it here.

I guess the hardest part of this will be organization and focus. Meaning, getting good titles for the threads so people know where to look and staying on topic. Also, not being too restrictive and ruining the fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 01:18 AM

Fantastic! This is exactly what we need!

Quote:
Originally posted by pstewart
What a coincidence! I was just thinking about this sort of thing yesterday! There are some things I do regularly for different end results, but the little "modules" (of which I've made even a few actions for my own use) are so useful that I was going to post a few somewhere on the forum. And THIS will be the place!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2003, 07:52 PM

Hi all. I was going to post about three of these to get things started, but after two it looks like these are not working as magnets to which other people add variations on the technique. So I won't be posting a third.

I think it was worth a try, though, and I'm glad we gave it a shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2003, 12:26 PM

Please Andrew, do not give up on us !

I enjoyed your Edge sketches one and I wish I had something to contribute, but I am still learning.
I wish I can find the time to try your methods.
Maybe the changes on retouchPro will attract more people who can share some techniques.
Maybe the future organization will help people find these techniques threads more easily. I think they are most helpfull.

Thank you for the time you spent writing them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 PM

Hi Alex. I appreciate your very supportive words.

I have a feeling the sketch one came off so well because I not only showed the parts, but also how they can be put together. Also, in looking at the sketch technique Danny put up outside the modular thread, it is more exciting to see something as a new thread instead of an addon to an existing one.

But I might go ahead and post one more modular. I put some thought into what I was going to do for the next one, and maybe I'll write it up and post.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art