Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Actions: Black and white B&W BW (Bill Miller)

Old 05-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Just got back from a long day but had time to check in on this thread..Only got a chance to skim and did not download the action yet. I definately will tomorrow.. Thought I would show you my try last month when we were discussing the B/w in the Wagon challenge.

This is a pic of a mansion under renovation.. I had picked it for the contrast in the pic..I attached a screenshot of the layers pallete to show you.. I did it from your desciption in the wagon challenge.. Thought you could use this as a discussion starting point..It is not very good, hence I gave up on it..

Time for bed..More tomorrow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bwmansion.jpg (98.7 KB, 199 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2003, 12:08 AM
What's wrong with this? It's very well has good contrast and detail. Nice job you did on it. Maybe if you posted the original we could see just how terribly you did

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi Pam
Attached is original of the mansion pic. if you want to play with it.

I just read this thread and downloaded the action. Time to brush up on by weak history brush skills and play with this technique for a while.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mansionbw.jpg (86.5 KB, 139 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Glad to see we're still alive here.

Danny, thanks a lot. Appreciate the kind words.

Jerry, thanks for the picture of the layers, that's exactly what I'm talking about! And you did very well!

Pam, the toning I have been using for the most part is a tritone. The settings are in the image at the bottom of this post. I desaturate it by about minus 30, and sometimes need to darken the overall image afterward. I like just enough that you see some tint, but you don't really quite know what color. I find that it seems to bring out detail that is not there in straight greyscale.

I really want to further clarify the idea that only some images work with B&W. B&W works where there are dramatic shapes in the image and a broad spectrum of light to dark. Photos that are successful in color because they are awash in gorgeous colors may not work at all, such as a flower garden, no matter how perfectly photographed. I think the "two kittens" image works in B&W for that reason. The color is beautiful, but even without it the subjects are still big, interesting, and just plain cute. I think that's what I was trying to say when I talked about subject and composition.

I am also really having success with doing the best b&w possible and then setting it to Overlay on the original color image. It's not that I couldn't get to the same place staying in color, but like Toad said, it's so much easier to "see" it in black and white.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tritone.jpg (39.1 KB, 171 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art