Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Pouting girl

Old 05-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Bubba's back with a vengence. Where do you find all these cute little kids??

Bubba--Nice isolation of the subject.

BillC--I really like this. So soft and delicate, just like a little girl with silky hair should be.

Fishboy--Lots of color, for sure. Couldn't miss any one of those!

Jill--This looks like an old baby food label, or something. I really like the texture you got without sacrificing too much of the image integrity.

BillC--don't let her Momma see that!!! You'll have to pick yer own switch from the tree

Jean--I likey likey!! Nice!

Mine is my old stand by. Not terribly original, but I like it nonetheless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pouterific.jpg (78.9 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Amanda ...yes, very nice, as usual...
Jill ... nice effect with effie (perhaps the clue is cutting it back for portraits..nice job)... I really like your last one (the colored one) ... nice lighting and texture.
Here's another one .. just a sketch-type..
Bill C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girlsketch.jpg (89.0 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Bubba, great shot, what a beautiful little girl.
Bill C, I think all of your renditions are great, although I'm partial to the first one with a soft look for such a pretty little girl
Fishboy, how colorful!
Jill, wonderful colors and texture and effie!
Jean,Amanda love those smudges, I really need to practice that effect.

Wow, I always find commenting on all the different versions so difficult. Especially when there are so many talented people here. I feel like I am always repeating myself.

Anyways, I tried to give a Kim Anderson look to the photo with just a hint of color.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl.jpg (63.7 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by TwinbNJ
And yes I do feel sometimes that I just do not qualify to offer opppinions on other work -- The talent of this group makes me just want to say the same thing.
You're just as qualified as anyone else! We're all here for (mostly) the same reasons...we like doing this. It's fun. We're trying to learn more about our own artistic bones and the programs we use to do what we do.

I think we all have a few gimmicks that we're individually really good at, and a whole bag full of ones we're working on. That's part of the fun.

This site should be supported and plugged *often*. It's a great place just the way it is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Fishboy
If you like all of the MONEY talk, make it a pay site.
Fishboy, I may be missing some history here so please forgive me if I'm outta line. I have seen a couple of posts about donations asking for support of this site, but so far I can't say I've been overwhelmed with them. I have no problem, with people stating how much they donate, I think it helps people like me, who are new to the site, guage what an average donation would be. I am a member of NAPP and I think this site offers just as much if not more information to its members. I would hate to see the site become a pay site because I think it would keep the casual users who may not post everyday, but still have a lot to share out. I've feel like I received so much more from this board than I will ever be able to offer, so if that means dealing with a few messages and reminders to support this site, I'm all for it.

Just my $0.02

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Bubba, great photo...thanks for sharing!

Bill C, I just love your soft warm vignette! And the glowing yellow eyes and the satanic red coloring makes that last one pure dynamite! And the latest bright sketch works well with the blond boy in front, since it takes care of his blurriness, letting him add interest to the pic.

Fishboy, your first plastic one is wonderful...the plastic on the face makes her look like a little doll! Can’t say I much care for the second one...too scribbly and busy for my taste.

Jean, you’ve really got the hang of that smudge method...looks likes Trimoon’s style...right?

Jill, very nice colored pencil portrait. I like that you included the teddy bear but cropped the rest.

Amanda, GOR-geous smudge portrait...went straight into my keeper file!

Lisa, that b/w grainy one is spooky...I like it.

I enlarged her quite a bit to make a portrait. With this technique, resolution quality lost in enlargement isn't a just blur it and the equalization and cutout during the process will compensate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pouty-girl1.jpg (96.3 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2003, 06:42 AM
..".looks likes Trimoon’s style...right?"
Phyllis thank you but not a Trimoon. I have not tried one of his tuts yet. That was done all on my own.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Bubba, for this sweet image. I couldn't resist it. Everyone has done a wonderful job as usual I really couldn't pick a favorite, they're ALL great. Here's my try. Painter Classic, of course. Used the Just add water brush and blended the bk/grnd. Also used the same brush on her face with the Airbrush. As you see I improvised some, I think it's my middle name I used the Big Fine hair brush for her hair, using the eyedropper to pick colors from her hair. I quickly painted in shirt (sweater) with Chalk, Soft chalk. Added a little color to her eyes using Pens, Flat color, also catchlights. Added more color to her lips using soft chalk. Adjusted equalize at least three times, while painting. I adjusted opacity, and brush sizes throughout. Oh, I used the dodge tool on her eyes to lighten them a little so I could add color. Sure wish I had a method to what I do, but I don't seem too Thanks, everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minipoutingirlpainting.jpg (58.3 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Just one word - WOW !

The expression you have captued -- those eyes (and yes your subject provided you with this) -- you have brought out a STRONG young woman in this submission!

Strength, determination, conviction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Wanda -- exquisitely charming! Beautiful, and beautifully done.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art