RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Paint Texturing

Old 08-22-2003, 04:00 AM

Paint Texturing

I thought I'd start a thread on Paint Texturing. How do you get yours, etc.

I found a neato way to do it. Have your piccy at a finished stage, saved, then run paint engine with the Texture Streak preset

(I dunno if it came with PE, or if I made this, so it's here
Setting99=Texture Streak;1,1,0,0,0,3,258,251,16,1,100,248,24,32,3,9,-28,-6,359,0

'member to change the setting##...

Now save the file again as <name>texture.psd, and hit the undo buuton to remove the PE filter. Now you run Photoshops Texturiser filter, and set it to 'load texture' and point to the <name>texture.psd file. Set the relief to reasonably high for a large file (or hi dpi file) - I ue 20-40 successfully.

Bingo, there's the original finished work with the paint engine texture (without the colour streaking, just brush stroke look-a-likes).

Anyone else have any brush stroke ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2003, 07:15 PM

Good subject, Fluff... Thx for sharing the PE setting.

On the Photoshop 7 1-Click Wow CD (and I believe on the CDs for Photoshop 6 and 7 Wow) is a pattern for applying an impasto effect. People tell me it looks pretty convincing, however the strokes from the pattern have no relationship whatsoever to the lines, angles, etc. in the image.

Here's an example:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...=&postid=56790

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2003, 04:55 AM

Danny -

" however the strokes from the pattern have no relationship whatsoever to the lines, angles, etc. in the image"

is the main thing I'm trying to keep... it's easy to get paint efx, but getting them to look like they should be there is proving very difficult.

The PE trick i mentioned is the best I've found so far, but it's still not great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2003, 10:33 AM

I've finally waved the white flag and, kicking and screaming, have taken the Corel Painter plunge. Bought P8 upgrade (It will install if you have PS or PSP or other image editors and costs about 1/2 of the full edition) and signed up for a class starting the week of 9/8.

As much as I enjoy using Photoshop, I can see (now that I've played with P8 a bit) Painter's potential from the sought after "realistic stroke" perspective. I envision doing a lot of the manipulation in Photoshop and applying the finishing touches in Painter.

We'll see...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2003, 11:57 AM

Any chance of you painting me up a large-ish image of randomly oriented brush strokes, in a medium to lighter hue/value?

The larger the better, dpi is not too important, resample may add artifacts, but they won't affect the final image. Larger means I can move it about to get the best overlay effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Danny:
Now that you have CP8, do you know where there are some forums or tutorial sites (besides Artistry) for using CP8 on Photo Images? I to own it but most things I find on the internet are for from scratch artist and not image enchancement artist. Maybe among your other hats you will start a forumn here or at DPReview to cater to this group of individuals.
CP8 I believe is more imposing then PS7? Well I just thought I would ask.
Thanks
Bob Spencer
PS: Gladyou found a local class I asked here and its like class for PS7 a big DUH sound.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2003, 01:57 PM

Hey, Bob:

Good questions...

RE: Now that you have CP8, do you know where there are some forums or tutorial sites (besides Artistry) for using CP8 on Photo Images.
Not specifically at the moment, but if/when I find them, I'll share my discoveries.

RE: most things I find on the internet are for from scratch artist and not image enchancement artist
That's been my observation as well. Maybe this means we need to develop scratch artist skills! (Not in my lifetime!)

RE: I believe P8 is more imposing then PS7
In its own way I'd agree. Rather than trying to learn Painter via the hodgepodge/willy-nilly method like I've learned (and continue to learn PS), my hope is that an organized, scripted and instructor led class will help me bypass a lot of the trial and (mostly) error pain.

RE: Maybe among your other hats you will start a forumn here or at DPReview to cater to this group of individuals.
Not likely at DPR, since it doesn't even have a photo-art forum (in general). As far as RetouchPRO, time will tell. Never say never. There's no doubt that I'll gladly share methods/techniques as I learn them.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2003, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rlspencer1
do you know where there are some forums or tutorial sites (besides Artistry) for using CP8 on Photo Images?
I find very little about using Painter for photo-art, probably because it is more of a Painting tool than bitmap editor. But here some links that might help you get started.

The first tutorial at the following site is a "from scratch" method, but instead of sketching you could use Painter 8's sketch tool. Or if that is too much to start with, drop down to the Painter Tracing Paper tutorial

http://www.artmixer.com/tutorials.htm

Here is a link to what I consider "must have" brushes for Painter

http://www.pixelalley.com/Painter7/p...7_brushes.html

Here is the main page for the same site:

http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html

Here are a few more tutorials for specific effects

http://www.rapartz.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm

And a list of links

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/paintercommunity/

BTW, I didn't upgrade to Painter 8, so I can't tell you if those brush-loading instructions are still good for version 8. You would have to check this in the manual or some other source.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2003, 06:01 PM

Andrew B.
I would like to apologize for not getting back sooner. That was very nice of you to take the time to give me all those sites.
Just wanted to catch up and say thank you.
Bob Spencer
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2003, 09:04 PM

Glad to help. You might also be interested in reading this
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art