RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative Interpretations: Butterfly

Old 09-28-2003, 09:56 PM

A not nearly as popular program as Photoshop, Corel's Photo-paint has a few filters that render very interesting results. This is output from PP's Watercolor filter. It was applied after moving the image around a bit (and cloning in the gaps) so the butterfly wouldn't be quite so close to the middle.

A wonderful image to work with (thank you Cheryl) and some great interpretations across the board.

- - - - -

Jilly: It's always nice to see your smiling avitar!

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheryls-butterfly-djr.jpg (62.1 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2003, 10:08 PM

Dan - Now that is a very nice effect! I like the softness (word?) yet the colors stand out. The slight blur add to the overall image and effect!--- and you will see my "smiling" avitar always -- even if my work is not up to par! LOL

NOW Don - you do not EVER have to comment on my work! LOL
Thank you for you honest evaluation.
NOW go clear out that ever sooooo popular PM box!!!!

Heck I'm never afraid to admit I PM you ---- OK when YOUR box is full -- it is a bit fustrating! Ha Ha Ha Ha

Everyopne knows how I feel ! -- Switzerland is a wonderful place --- if for nothing else than your money! Ha Ha Ha Ha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2003, 10:26 PM

YELLING ??? Heck you and everyone here would know if I was YELLING!

I don't yell ---- Nope no yelling here! --- and NOT at you! LOL (counterproductive -- I would think! -- and you would agree?)

BTW - Cheryl sounds like you worked in photopaint -- not something I have worked in -- but looking at Dan's submission it does look like some nice SW !!!!! May have to take a look at it.
Thanks both of you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2004, 12:30 PM

Softwear used for imagery

I'm a new member. I am so inspired and impressed with the visual display, variety of interpetations and ability to manipulate photo imagery. The butterfy was stunning. I would like to throw the question out.....if you were starting your careers over now, which softwear programs would you purchase? I have a painting background. There seem to be many combinations and levels from PSE, PS8, PSCS to Painter 8----
Like to keep softwear purchases under 1 K. S
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quail
I'm a new member. I am so inspired and impressed with the visual display, variety of interpetations and ability to manipulate photo imagery. The butterfy was stunning. I would like to throw the question out.....if you were starting your careers over now, which softwear programs would you purchase? I have a painting background. There seem to be many combinations and levels from PSE, PS8, PSCS to Painter 8----
Like to keep softwear purchases under 1 K. S
Hello, and W-E-L-C-O-M-E, Quail. Glad you found us.

Regarding software acquisitions (given your painting background)...

If you're pretty much a sketch/draw/paint from scratch type of person, I'd say Painter 8 would be all you'd need for openers.

If you want to manipulate photos:
* I'd buy an older version of Photoshop, say, 5.0 or 5.5 for < $100 on eBay. Then, at your convenience##, I'd acquire a Photoshop 7 or CS upgrade for $100-$150 = full blown Photoshop for $250 -- a considerable savings over buying the full-priced standard package. This is perfectly legit and a lot of people do it -- who know how to.
* Then I'd get the Painter 8 upgrade. If you already have Photoshop, you can get Painter 8 (upgrade) for about $200 less than the regular package. No loss in functonality. Works fine. (That's what I did.)

Why both?
* While there is some functional overlap, each has strengths the other can't touch.
* Photoshop can't touch Painter when it comes to natural media brush stroke effects, esp. acrylics, oils, impasto and watercolors.
* Painter can't touch PS when it comes to overall control over images. Photoshop also has a functionalty called "actions," which are scripts that can be recorded and played back. (PSE can be modified to play [some] actions, but you cannot record actions in PSE. Painter has no action functionality at all.)
* While you could get PSE 2.0 (less expensive than PS), you'd lose out on being able to install the Painter 8 upgrade, which requires Photoshop. So you could have PSE + Painter 8 (full edition) for slightly more than Full Photoshop CS + Painter 8 upgrade.

## I say "at your convenience" because PS and Painter are not trivial programs to learn. There would be no immediate need to upgrade because there would be more than enough to learn with PS 5 or 5.5.

Neither Photoshop or Painter is intuitive by any stretch of the imagination and you should mentally budget a couple hundred bucks +/- each on books, videos or training of some sort. (Suggestion: Look into www.eclecticacademy.com for some very reasonably priced, well organized, meaty content classes.)

Once you get into it, it's great fun! Hope I've encouraged, not discouraged you. By all means ask more questions if you like.

Again, welcome.

~Danny~

(Note: If you reply to this, I will start a "new thread" (with the related posts so far) since we're talking more about software recommendations than than the butterfly pics. No big deal.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2005, 08:37 AM

my rendition of cheryl's butterfly

worked in PSP 9, used Impressionist, edge preserving smooth, hypertyle.
Sorry I don't remember the settings and forgot to write it down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butterfly2cheryl.jpg (71.8 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2005, 02:57 PM

Just a couple of Art History brush strokes on a 60% opacity white layer. Impressionisty on same layer: djrOil24 Image and default settings. Curves Adjustment layer plus added white vignette.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-p9271968wb.jpg (95.1 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Nice texture and colouring Diane. I rather like your result Duv, nice effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2005, 09:41 PM

Regular stuff + paint engine>faded mosaic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butterfly4c.jpg (99.9 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2005, 12:03 AM

Yet another watercolour effect from me.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butterfly-watercolour-web.jpg (97.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art