Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative Interpretations: Butterfly

Old 03-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by malia01us
Hi all!

I'm new here too! *waves* I've been home sick all day, so have literally spent about 8 hours off & on surfing this site--I love it! I have learned so much already, I can't believe it--what a great group!

I am no stranger to PS, but as I normally do 3d work, I mostly use it for sharpening & color correction. I have been doing some different work, mostly landscapes & wanted to make them look "painterly" so did a web search...and here I am!

I used a montage of tips & techniques from the links here on the butterfly...filters: watercolor, sprayed strokes, angled strokes, gausian & smart blurs, etc, along with a tweak in flaming pear's aetherize filter. Unfortunately, I lost track of exactly what I did as I kept trying out different things I was reading about! LOL Next time I'll keep a list as I go so I can post properly.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here who contributes so generously!
Hope to be able to contribute to the group sometime...

Hey, Donna:

Sorry you're under the weather, but I'm glad our little fun forum contributed to your recovery.

It's always a privilege to welcome someone new, especially when they jump right in and start sharing their art and methods right away like you did on this very nice interpretation.

Not to worry... "Keeping track" takes a little practice. We're a patient and understanding bunch.

Welcome aboard.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 01:12 PM
The first one I just touched up with levels and curves pretty much isolated on the butterfly. I only wanted to make the photo look nicer.

The next two I used the above manipulated photo and put a violet glow behind (above?) it. I changed the blending modes to Darken and Overlay respectively. I couldn't figure out which I like best, get both.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg butterfly.jpg (99.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg butterflyDark.jpg (98.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg butterflyDark2.jpg (98.0 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Xaran
Yet another watercolour effect from me.

That is really pretty, I like the softness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Neve
Painter 8.1/Cloners/Wet Oils on butterfly and floral/Impressionistic Cloner on bg with lowered opacity.
Hi Neve,
That is beautiful! What do you mean by floral impressionistic cloner on bg? Where would that be?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 12:54 PM
I tried to give it a watercolor painting effect. I did quite a bit of playing around with gimpressionist and different layers in an effort to get a handle on how to anticipate the results . Still have a long way to go before I can envision a result and then get it, but it's fun learning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p9271968wb-paint1.jpg (98.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art