RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Portrait - Becky

Old 11-24-2004, 01:12 PM

Charcoal sketch in psp6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becky4.jpg (58.2 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2004, 02:40 AM

For whatever its worth, these are my steps:
Layer 1- Original, i increased saturation and moved levels middle slider to around 1.50.
L2- Dup L1, then used a modified impr color pencil filter. After that, stylize find edges, edit-fade-color burn.
L3- Dup L2, paint daubs 3,7, simple.
L4- Dup L3, multiply blend.
L5- Select all copy merged, paste. High pass 250, edit-fade-hue.
L6- Dup L5. Then i used a smudge tool which i created which was round and hard-edged. I smudged the whole image quite thoroughly in small circles, trying to keep the image sharp. Next a lighting effect for texture , and lastly dry brush filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becky-web.jpg (99.9 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 AM

Here's my 2 cents worth.
I tried to find an alternate way to get rid of facial blemishes without losing too much detail. So here's what i did:
Reproduced the original (image 1) as a duplicate copy (image 2). Applied filter - noise - median to it. Then saved image 2 as a pattern with edit - define pattern.
Worked on original image 1 with pattern stamp tool using a hard edged round brush and normal, low opacity about 45, flow 50%, airbrush disabled, aligned, impressionist.
No other filter used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becky5-web.jpg (44.6 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2004, 08:41 PM

learning from Jaykita

I liked what Jaykita did with the clone pattern trick. I wasn't very successful duplicating it, but I did find you can get cool results changing the brush & opacity used for the clone stamp.

Here I've used a charcoal brush size 24 at 68% opacity for the larger areas & smaller size, less opacity for facial details. I duplicated this resulting image twice. Ran Stylize->Emboss with high & medium settings each copy. One set to hard light, the other to linear light. Adjusted opacity of each & added layer masking to get some good textures without messing up the face. Before starting, I did some basic retouch on the original to reduce the darker shadows in the face, adjusted color, etc.

I'm sure anyone who has actual talent with a brush could really make this something special. Until they do, you'll just have my hack job to ponder the possibilities. Thanks for the inspiration Jaykita!

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg becky-RP-ART.jpg (85.5 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2004, 05:38 AM

Mark, I like your creation. I'm glad to have been of some help. And thank you for the appreciation.
I tried my hand at airbrushing, and mind you, all 'hand' work. Did it on a blank layer over a layer filled with white. Below was the original. Took me a long time, though since i do not possess a digitizing tablet. Not yet anyway. Got to get one soon now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becky2-web.jpg (54.2 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2004, 08:39 AM

Jaykita. I'm still stuck at "stick figures" level in my artisitic development (after 40+ years!). So keep this in mind regarding my comments. I like your airbrush work too. Considering you did this without a tablet it's quite an accomplishment. I assume from your description you did this in 'tracing paper' mode with the white layer opacity turned way down? (I'm not criticizing, just interested, as I have aspirations of learning a bit how to draw / paint.) Regards. -Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2004, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEngineer
Jaykita. I'm still stuck at "stick figures" level in my artisitic development (after 40+ years!). So keep this in mind regarding my comments. I like your airbrush work too. Considering you did this without a tablet it's quite an accomplishment. I assume from your description you did this in 'tracing paper' mode with the white layer opacity turned way down? (I'm not criticizing, just interested, as I have aspirations of learning a bit how to draw / paint.) Regards. -Mark
Hello Mark. It is a fairly simple explanation. And a fairly simple method too.
I've used the soft round airbrush 50% flow from the default brushes palette, a color picker to pick up colors from the original image (obviously!). I also used the eraser (same airbrush tool) a bit. The smudge tool on very low strength helps to blend in colors. Knowing a few keyboard shortcuts helps a lot for eg. when using the paintbrush tool, if you press "alt", your brush turns into a color picker, and another trick is to use the "[" and "]" bracket symbols to decrease or increase size of brush respectively.
It helps greatly to make a sketch layer of the image (multiple blend). I used the usual photoshop way to make a sketch, and placed it as the topmost layer. I also discarded the white parts till i only had black outlines.
I used a lasso tool to make different selections of various parts on different blank layers and named them accordingly eg face, hand, eyes, pillar, dress etc. All normal blends. I placed my colors on these layers.
The white fill layer (normal blend) is used under all those blank layers which i later merged with the colored layers. I only use this fill layer as an eventual opaque background. You could lower opacity to refer to the bckgr image, yes. But never did I use the clone tool. The sketch layer too is discarded eventually. I didnt blend it in with the painting.The original image was only used for the placement and choice of colors and form and for picking up colors from, and it is the bottom (edited, look below) layer. Again, the original was not used in the final blend either.
Right now i'm working on some other portraits as well, and should be posting them a little later. It is the same technique as explained. I hope to eventually master this. It is not much different from if you had a photograph of the person in front of you and had to refer to it while you painted, with the exception that photoshop makes it that much easier by helping you pick up the exact colors of the image. And thats half the work done, of course! The rest is all brushwork. Do try it. I think it's great fun!
Edited - Sorry, a correction here. The Background layer is dragged right to the top of the stack and the visibility switched off and on in order to see the progress made. Leave the backgr layer at normal blend.

Last edited by jaykita; 12-11-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 PM

This is kind of a hash of KPT Pyramid Paint with one of the tutorial techniques I found on this site. As I'm sure we all know, Pyramid Paint is a plug-in that does ummm *mumble* *mumble* *cough* -- actually, I haven't the foggiest what it does, I just picked it at random and it pleased me -- but anyway I ran the image through KPT PP until I got an "impressionist"-y look, then I made a 'blend mask' of misc important edges from the original image, moved that to the top of the layer stack, and blended it with Hard Light. I like the way her eyes turned out -- 'course, it doesn't hurt that she has beautiful eyes to start with!

I hope it's alright that I've added a second attempt to this message -- the second effort is a pretty simple direct filter via one of my favorites, FP Organic Edges, followed by some rubber stamp touch-ups on miscellaneous parts of her hair, just because it seemed 'right'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg becky1.jpg (40.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg becky2.jpg (77.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by craig8128; 12-14-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 01:07 PM

here is my attempt

hello

this is cool to see everyones different technique on a photo

so much fun

if you want to see the full version of photo here is the link

http://toodaloo.smugmug.com/gallery/...16407/Original

toody
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch photo of ci becky signed done.jpg (57.2 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art